Positive side effect of Endo Cancer Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Positive side effect of Endo Cancer Hysterectomy Positive side effect of Endo Cancer Hysterectomy

Unread 05-31-2004, 09:35 PM
Positive side effect of Endo Cancer Hysterectomy

I had an endo cancer hysterectomy and exploratory surgery on April 16. No further cancer found. No radiation treatment needed.
For the past 6 years I have had bad mammograms. Lumps, suspicious dense tissue. My breasts would go from a 38d to a 40dd in a matter of days and stay that way for months, then flatten back down again.
Last Thursday I had a Mammogram done. I always have my mammogram done at Ellis-Fischel cancer center here in Missouri so I know they are accurate.
The technician came out to give me the results, and I went into shock (I was very scared).
She said that I had the best mammogram that I had had in years. No dense tissue or suspicious lumps.
Could there be a connection between the estrogen which caused the endo cancer, and the estrogen making all this trouble in my breasts? Was estrogen hell bent on killing me, one way or another? Was I lucky that I had endo cancer first instead of breast cancer, which is a much tougher battle.
I can never take estrogen supplements.
Am I better off without it?
It sure seems to me as if estrogen were trying to kill me.
Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2004, 06:47 AM
Mammograms

Sharon, Were your ovaries removed during your hyst? Are you on HRT now? The link below is to an Imaginis web page about fibrocystic breasts which are harder to read in mammos than normal breasts. Hormones / estrogen cause fibrocystic tissue in the breasts. That may explain the better mammos this time 'round.

http://www.imaginis.com/breasthealth...ts.asp#treated

Mary D.
Unread 06-01-2004, 07:50 AM
yes, the hidden benefits

My story is the same as yours. I believe the connection does exist, and my endo cancer also was an early warning to other more difficult problems. I will always be on the lookout, but I'm feeling just fine without that extra estrogen. I can't take HRT but, have found life after just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2004, 07:22 PM

Hi
I too had endometrial cancer and it was caught early no chemo or radiation. I cannot take any hormones or herbs due to the estrogen, I am doing okay without anything except for those wonderful hot flashes.

At this point I welcome the hot flashes since I also was diagnosed with bladder cancer within two months of the endometrial, but all was caught early and they tell me I'm cancer free.
Unread 06-02-2004, 09:08 PM

Dear Sharon,

Yes, I believe that estrogen related problems won't necessarily confine themselves to one organ...and I don't necessarily want to blame the ovaries for everything because estrogens can come from a number of sources... dietary, environmental,etc.

I consider myself "lucky" to have had endometrial cancer before (if ever) breast cancer (i consider myself a prime candidate for a number of reasons, but now i've made a number of changes in my life..like cutting down on alcohol and now using vanilla soy milk) because the mechanisms of endometrial cancer do seem to be understood better (hence I was able to be treated without surgery). It sure was a wakeup call.

Soy is considered estrogenic and some might say that I shouldn't take it, but there's even differences in the actions of different estrogenic compounds, and I believe I've made the right choice for myself.

It can be tough to know what and who to believe and there's lots of varying opinions.

Good luck.
Pat
Unread 06-04-2004, 06:28 PM

Hi Again Sharon,

I came across a website that I think would be of interest to you.
It speaks of breast cancer prevention and explains the different actions of the different estrogens that I had mentioned.

http://www.drdebe.com/PREVENTING%20B...1%20UPDATE.htm

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register