smokers? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-19-2000, 07:24 PM
smokers?

I haven't seen anyone adress this yet and I'm not sure how to ask about it. Are any of you princesses smokers? I thought I'd have time to quit if surgery became a necessity, but it was scheduled so rapidly that I'm so nervous I'm actually smoking more. I hate to think what a coughing fit is going to be like. Anyone with any experience here would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2000, 07:40 PM
smokers?

I am glad you brought this up. I am also a smoker, and while I was hoping I could at least cut back before the big day, I too am so nervous I am smoking even more. I know I should be really trying, but my neves are frazzled, and I need to do something!

Sweetie, I just wanted you to know that you are not going through this alone! Have a little tummy pillow handy, I have heard it helps to splint your tummy when you cough. Mine is freshly laundered, and ready for my big day!

Lots of luck to us, see you on the other side!

Ami
Unread 11-19-2000, 07:54 PM
smokers?

Thanks for replying. It's not a socially accepted topic anymore. I hope the pillow works! Keep those sunflowers comin'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2000, 08:07 PM
Smoker's club member also

I had a TVH on 11/15 and smoked until 3 hours before surgery. I have been lucky and have not had a coughing spell. The next day after surgery I snuck out (I was on the 6th floor and had to go to the ground floor) to have one. But the nurses were horrible so they did not even notice me gone. The hard part was the breathing thing they make you do periodically after surgery. That will get you light headed. I know laughing hurts so I am sure if you cough it will be the same. They made me cough once for them and OUCH.
Unread 11-19-2000, 08:18 PM
Smoking!!!

I am so glad you brought the subject up!!! Yes! I am puffing away.:dragon: In fact I am even smoking more
I do not have my Hyst until 12/20 I could quit......but I think it would add more stress. In fact, I have been trying to figure a way to get home the next day so I can smoke a cig!!! I guess if worse comes to worse I will plan a route of escape to go outside and puff away !! Anyway I am very glad you brought this up!!! You are not alone!!
Unread 11-19-2000, 08:22 PM
i smoked up until 3hrs b4 surg also

Quote:
Originally posted by flora
I haven't seen anyone adress this yet and I'm not sure how to ask about it. Are any of you princesses smokers? I thought I'd have time to quit if surgery became a necessity, but it was scheduled so rapidly that I'm so nervous I'm actually smoking more. I hate to think what a coughing fit is going to be like. Anyone with any experience here would be appreciated.
Unread 11-19-2000, 08:33 PM
i smoked up until 3hrs b4 surg also

Quote:
Originally posted by flora
...............I didn`t quit before..figured it would all take care of itself..and it did...after surg there was the pain and lala meds..then every little smell..even flowers people sent..made me nauseous...after i got home i had too much to cope with just getting to and from the bed/couch/bathroom to think about it.Then I had a major crying jag over a dogfood commercial and picked up a cig...after 9 days off the darn things.So..i`m back at them...wish i could quit..had such a good start going there...but i don`t have a smokers cough...the nurses want you to cough...OUCH..but it wasn`t as bad as the gas pains.good luck to you...but don`t add any more stress.....whatever gets you through the month is what you need right now..i was scared,too.The hyster god will get you through this..and the wonderful women here..hugs...
Unread 11-19-2000, 08:33 PM
smoking

Hi just to let ya know I had a TAH on Nov. 1 and am doing pretty good so far i to am a smoker a coughing jag grab a pillow hold it to your stomach and cough as lightly as possible it will hurt the other day well actually about a week after surgery i snezzed wow it also hurt the pillow really does help good luck ladies see ya on the other side Dawn
Unread 11-19-2000, 09:29 PM
smokers?

Yes... yet another socially unacceptable member of society. I've been telling myself that being couped up in the hospital might force me to quit. Lofty prospect me thinks now that I'm puffing away like a dragon awaiting the deadline.

Glad you brought this up. We addicts need all the support we can get.

Wishing you all a bit of peace of mind in preparation for surgery, Turkey Day, Christmas..... Geeee, how high can we stack this? The best is yet to come...... OUR day in the royal palace! Yippeeeeeee
Unread 11-19-2000, 09:32 PM
smokers?

A few weeks back there were several smoking or just quit sisters posting. I had my Hyst on Sept 22, smoked my last cigarette at 8pm the night before surgery. Post-Op I was too out of it to think about smoking and once I got home, it all just seemed like way too much bother. Eating was a bother too, so between surgery & quitting I've lost a couple lbs!

Interestingly, since then I've never really craved a cigarette-an occasional ummm a cigarette sure would taste good maybe, but that's it.

Part of my motivation for for staying quit is that I kept my cervix and smoking contributes to cervical cancer so...

Paige
SLH BSO
9/22/00

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register