For those in Pain Managment, what it like? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

For those in Pain Managment, what it like? For those in Pain Managment, what it like?

Unread 06-03-2004, 05:08 PM
For those in Pain Managment, what it like?

I am curious for those of you going to pain management, what is it like? What was your initial visit like. What are some of the things going on with this type of therapy?

I am very sad right now as anyone following my story knows I have been on quite the roller coaster since my hyster 2 years ago. Bladder surgeries, Adhesion Removal surgeries. 4 surgeries this past year alone.... NO MORE!!!! Anyhoo, my adhesions have returned despite the use of Interceed at my last adhesiolysis in November. I was pain free for 6 months. This was confirmed by the return of that familiar pain , and a meeting with my gyn surgeon last week. So surgery is NOT an option, nor a consideration at this point, so he is sending me to pain management therapy. I have an appt Monday with a female doc who specializes in treating chronic pain, pelvic pain, Endo, and Fibro pain... She is an anesthesiologist that specializes in injection therapy for pelvic pain???? Another plus I guess is she is out of one of the top 3 hospitals in Chicago... He wants me to go there because they have the hospital backing, and a wider treatment range option.

I just don't know what to think, and don't want to get my hopes up. So I would appreciate your experiences and any advice for my visit Monday... Already have my records and op reports....

Big Big Susie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2004, 05:11 PM

I wish I had some miracle advice to give you but I don't. I do want to offer you hugs and prayers- You sound like a wonderful person and I wish you the best. Lots of love to you!!!
Unread 06-04-2004, 10:32 AM
I had good luck

I know that some of our sisters have not been to lucky with pain mgnt but I actually had a very good first visit and a dr who believes that you should not live your life in pain. He changed alot of my meds on the first visit and gave me stronger ones that dealt better with endo and fibro pain...

So far I have only had one appt. but he has called me several times and has been available for any questions. I hope that you have the same luck...

Keep me posted...
Love Ya
Jeni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2004, 05:45 PM

I was terrified before going to pain management because I had heard horror stories of doctors not taking your pain seriously , etc...I knew this was my last option since no doctor will touch me again due to the endo and adhesions I suffer from (as well as IC)

My first visit my husband went with me. I was in such excruciating pain I didn't have to tell them, they just looked at me and knew I was not acting. I was in real pain. He asked me a lot of questions about my previous surgery and what therapies I had tried, what meds I had tried....I had a physical exam. It was a male doc and he let his P.A (a woman) do the pelvic exam. I remember towards the end the doc put his hand on my shoulder, looked me in the eye and said, Becky I am going to help you and we are going to make this pain better.

My doc is an anesthesiologist and he said for my type of pain--visceral pain that is caused by adhesions and IC--does not respond well to injections-never blocks-and even if those things help briefly, the pain would always come back. It was true. I had tried most things and nothing worked for me.

So I was put on a combination of drugs--Duragesic patches and Methadone for breakthrough pain. I had a heart attack when he said 'methadone', but it is supposed to be highly effective in IC/Bladder pain. I tried it for a month and had severe side effects, so I stopped taking it. Then I was put on Dilaudid for breakthrough pain, which is working wonders! I also take a medicine called Naltrexone, which counteracts the addictive qualities of narcotics. Basically you get all the pain control benefits without becoming addicted to the stuff. It is something I had to get a special pharmacy to mix for me. I take one every night and even after stopping the Duragesic patch cold turkey I did not have ONE single 'withdrawl' symptom. I HIGHLY recommend asking the PM doc about this. It is new and not many people know about it yet, but it really does work. I was one of those people who fought against taking any kind of narcotic because of the stigma doctors put on you of being a 'drug addict', but now I know I can control my pain and life a better life--a life with my husband and kids. Before I could not even get out of bed. My husband had to stay home from work all the time to help with the kids. Now I am not pain free, but I am able to function all day and actually be a parent.

I am sorry this got so long winded. I just wanted you to know there are good PM docs out there who really do want to help you. I hope you get a good one!!!!

Hugs
Becky
Unread 06-06-2004, 02:59 AM
Pain Management Is...

just what the name implies, "management." Not "cure." Keep that in mind. I have been in pain management for eight years now for three failed back surgeries.

My first appointment was a huge surprise to me. I had been used to seeing surgeons who told me everything from "we could operate again" to "I don't see why you would still be having pain." I was extremely frustrated. I was shocked at this appointment to be LISTENED to, to have my pain experience VALIDATED. It was a huge emotional experience for me somehow,just for someone to understand!!

That being said - it was not an easy road. My doc told me at the beginning that it was probably not realistic that I would ever be without SOME pain; the key to it was managing it to a level I could live with. He said that at times I would be in more pain because we might try therapies that wouldn't work, etc. He just asked me to work with him and be patient.

I have been with the same pain doc for 8 years now. He is an anesthesiologist also.

I hope you are able to get some relief for your pain. I know how frustrating it is and how devastating it can be.

Trust your gut. If you develop a good relationship with your pain doc, they can be a huge help. If you feel they are not taking your pain seriously, move on and find a better one. Good luck!
Unread 06-07-2004, 06:46 AM
Thank you

Thank you all for your experiences and hugs.. I have some more questions to add to my list. I will let you know how it goes today. I had a terrible weekend. So I hope I will be on my way soon to living with this.

Thanks again...
Susie
Unread 06-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Had my appt with Pain Management

Well I'm headed into my journey into pain management therapy. I met my doc for the first time yesterday... She is wonderful. She actually did her ob rotation with my gyn... LOL! We talked extensively about my ARD (Adhesion Related Disease). 1 1/2 hours to be exact. We are going to try some less evasive techniques with some drug therapy... She has put me on Topamax, Bextra and Percocet for break through pain. I am very satisfied with her bedside manor, and look forward to working with her. She is very experienced in treating pelvic pain, so she understands my situation and has several other options available if this one does not work...

Needless to say, I am back in the hopeful category! It was finally good to meet with a doctor and not hear the s word.... She will be following up with me again in 2 weeks. So I have another office visit with her for her to see how I am doing on these meds.

Big Big Hugs... Susie
Unread 06-08-2004, 01:27 PM
I am so happy for you

I am glad that your appt went so well. I too like my pain dr... I had another appt. yesterday and we are going to do an injection on friday. Hopefully it will help...

Take care
Jeni
Unread 06-10-2004, 04:49 PM

Thank God for this topic!! I have an appointment on June 22 for my 1st visit. This DR is also an anesthesiologist whose specialty is in Pain mangement.
Do they take care of pain anywhere you have it?? With me it's mainly my back-but then I also have a vascular problem with my right ankle & foot. My primary care DR is the type that blows it off unless it's something REAL BAD Every joint hurts sometimes too,,,knees, fingers. I could go on & on
So do you address all your aches & pains with these DRs???
Sheila, how long ago did you have your back surgery?? Mine was 4 years ago. I haven't had anymore x-rays or MRI's taken, but I would bet that I've re-injured it.
Can you apply for disability for this kind of stuff if the DR's just can't seem to help you??
I can't take anti-flammatories because of an ulcer.
Thanks for listening, giving me any suggestions!! I'd love to keep up with how you girls are doing with this.
Sharon
Unread 06-10-2004, 05:09 PM
(((( Sharon ))))

Good luck with your visit... I would tell them EVERYTHING. They asked about any pain I was having elsewhere as well... But I have none. Since pain management is the specialty talk it out with them. Who knows, one pain may be actually causing or irritating another. I am opptimistic as to how I am approaching my therapy.

As for the disability due to pain, I think it is very difficult to get, but some are successfull, but it takes alot of work.

This is now my 3rd day on my meds and I have had some really stressfull tests and I seem to be doing pretty good. I hope it continues for me.

Let us know how your meeting goes... Feel free to pm me anytime you want to catch up!

Big Big Susie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register