Results from Cat Scan | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Results from Cat Scan Results from Cat Scan

Unread 06-04-2004, 04:36 AM
Results from Cat Scan

Good morning ladies
It is me, Peggy. I've been having terrible problems with my bowels since surgery, which was 4 weeks today.I had my CT scan Wed. My doctor called me yesterday with the results. There are no abnormalities, except a huge amount of stole backed up in my bowels!! ooouuucchhh!!! He said there is a 10 centimeter hard ball of stole sitting in my colon. This explains why I hurt so much. He said it has me very extended and pulling on the muscle and pushing on other things in my abdomen. He told me to continue on the liquid diet a few more days until I feel better. He also said the heavy dose of iron I had been on before and after surgery for my critical anemia had done me in.He said my system must be very sensitive to iron. He also said all of the narcotics I had during surgery and the purcocets I used after coming home went against me too. They tend to contribute to constipation. He told me to go ahead and use more of the fleet saline laxative. so I could get relief. I did go a large amount after my scan on Wed. My doc said the barium solution I had for the test does tend to make the bowels move and that was good.I didn't pass anything hard though and still have tons of pressure down low along with pain in my incision area. I was woke up early(4:00am) again this morning.. I took a whole bottle of Magnesium Citrate oral solution. Many of you wonderful sisters had recommended it to me. I took it yesterday evening and I haven't had a movement yet and it is almost 6:30am. I've been drinking tons of water and have been on the liquid diet since Tuesday morning. Except for the one movement after my test I haven't gone anymore since I had a saline laxative last Saturday.My upper abdomen has gurgled all night and morning long, but no desire to push has happened.The laxative bottle said if no bowel movement occurs after usage to consult your doctor.I guess that is what I'll have to do this morning. I sure don't want to feel like this all weekend long!
My doctor said we will work to get this cleared up, but if things don't improve he might have to refer me to a gastrologist. I've had hemorrhoids for several years since pregnancy days, but haven't had much pain or bleeding with them.
I do feel very relieved that there were no tears or adhesions or anything like that to show up. I just wish now that I can get this colon thing under control. Thank you all for listening to me ramble on and on. I just feel miserable and needed to vent.
Have a blessed and wonderful day.
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2004, 04:46 AM
Results from Cat Scan

oh Peggy, that sounds soooooo uncomfortable.

I know how crummy I feel if I don't go for a few days, I can only imagine how you feel right now.

I hope the meds you are taking help you out sooooooon!
good luck!
Unread 06-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Results from Cat Scan

Bless your heart!!!!!!!!! That sounds miserable. I hope you get some relief very soon or you call the Dr back and have him/her help you resolve this matter. Keep drinking lots of liquid!! Let us know how you are feeling. I'll be thinking of you.

Diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Results from Cat Scan

An impaction that large may not respond to all the laxatives and stool softeners. You need to call your doctor, definitely, because this could be dangerous (i.e. bowel obstruction) if you let it go through the weekend. The treatment for impaction isn't the most fun but obstruction is NOTHING to fool with!

Audrey
Unread 06-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Results from Cat Scan

I agree with the other sisters. It sounds like you may have a fecal impaction- it is nothing to fool around with. I have seen a few in the hospital I work at- You must be sooo miserable. I too know about the awful side effects of those darn narcotics- I take stool softeners every day. My prayers are with you!! Lots of love and hugs- I hope the best for you!!
Unread 06-04-2004, 07:52 PM
Results from Cat Scan

this is Peggy again
well it is Friday night. I was finally able to go this morning, but still feel awful. I did call and talk to my doctor's assistant about the bloating and nauseous feeling, eventhough I did have a BM. She talked to my dr. and he said to do another fleet laxative today and take colace twice a day. He is referring me to a gastrologist A.S.A.P. They gave me the phone # to call to make a appt. THe gast. Dr. couldn't get me in until June 22nd, so I called the assistant back. She said she would call them and get me in sooner.She was supposed to call me back today, but something must have came up. I am still on the liquid diet . It has been 4 days so far. I am sick of it!!Well, maybe I will be feeling better by the time I go back to my doctor Wednesday.Miracles do happen!!
Peggy
Unread 06-04-2004, 08:58 PM
4 weeks today

Bowels are still touchy, I never realized how much the intestines would be affected by this surgery!
Hope you are on the road to recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register