Pelvic Floor Spasms & Problems? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pelvic Floor Spasms & Problems? Pelvic Floor Spasms & Problems?

Unread 04-12-2000, 05:19 PM
Pelvic Floor Spasms & Problems?

Hi - Has anyone experienced pelvic floor spasms? I got deep muscle vaginal spasms at 3 weeks, and they pulled the stitches so much that the Dr had to remove stitches, give me cortisone shots in the deep recesses of the vagina (!) and then restitch me. That all occurred over 1 week, and I was sent to bed with bedrest.
Now, 1 week later, I have a different type of spasms, more rectal related. I almost called 911 - the spasms woke me up at 4 am, and that was after going to bed with all my pain meds. The Dr will see me in a week, he's prescribed cortisone pills. If this doesn't work - then it's another shot, but he'll have to put me under for that shot. Any similar experiences, advice? I'm not moving much, even at 4 weeks post-op, due to the pain, and his instructions. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2000, 05:36 PM

Hi Susan, I never had the pelvic floor spasms you described, but I can't help wondering why your doctor is making you wait a week to see him? By the way, that must be some shot if you have to be put out for it.https://www.hystersisters.com/ubb/smilies/eek.gif I sincerely hope that some of the other ladies who may have experienced this will be able to help you. Best wishes,

------------------
Catherine, Rhode Island
TAH/BSO 5/25/99
Unread 04-12-2000, 10:05 PM

HI....I have had pelvic muscle spasms since I was about 2 weeks post-op. I am now about 10 weeks post-op and still having them--I only have them in the morning when I first wake up and start to get up. They go away for the rest of the day. My doctor can't figure this out. I know it's very frustrating for you. I have been searching the boards to find someone else having this problem. Yours sound worse than mine, I think. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2000, 01:51 PM

Hi-
Thanks for the posts. I didn't explain very well. The Dr. did see me the same day, after I called and said I had wanted to call 911. I've found some information online about proctalgia. It is some of what I have - and the information is not very optimistic. It is the intense rectal pain that can wake you up in the middle of the night. Not a real cure for this. People have it for 15+years with constant debilitating pain. My dr. can actually feel my spasms when he does an exam - so thankfully, at least he doesn't think I'm making this up. Hopefully I will get over this, but if not, I'll sure learn more about it!
SusanL
Unread 04-14-2000, 09:46 PM

Hi there, my gyn thought I was having pelvic floor spasms pre-op and I may be still having them post op...she wanted to send me for pelvic floor physiotherapy https://www.hystersisters.com/ubb/smilies/tongue.gif yes it's a real thing (sounded odd to me too https://www.hystersisters.com/ubb/smilies/smile.gif) It involves a probe and biofeedback that "retrains" the muscles to respond properly...the theory is that after being in so much pain the muscles sort of "stay" cramped and the probe retrains them to "smooth" out and the pain eventually stops......I'm in Canada but I can only assume since you guys are way ahead of us in everything else your dr should now about this.

Hope this helps at all feel free to email me if there is anything else I can tell you about ok?

Big Hugs and Big Wishes
Gidge TAH/BSO
Unread 04-14-2000, 09:50 PM

Susan just another thought ,I would think a muscle relaxer would be of benefit to you....think about it when you back goes into spasms that what they give you right?

I figure it's worth a shot and they are available over the counterhttps://www.hystersisters.com/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

Sure would beat being knocked out again , just thought I would mention it!!

Gidge
Unread 04-15-2000, 03:51 PM

Hi -
Yep, I'm on muscle relaxers. I have the muscle relaxer, stool softener, pain meds, hormone, Viox (anti-inflamatory) and now back to the cortisone meds. I can definately feel an improvement from the cortisone, but the side effects of this med are not pleasant. And - it is only a 6 day treatment that does not get repeated.

Gidge - Thanks SO MUCH for the info on the pelvic floor physical therapy. I had found references on-line, and couldn't believe that this existed! I really think that what you said about the musclas has happened. My leg was going numb before surgery, and they didn't believe me. I had a prolapsed uterus, sitting on my tail bone (and rectum, and bladder) and I really believe that this is the problem! THANKS FOR HELPING ME UNDERSTAND THIS!!! Now, just to convince my Dr! Take care!
SusanL

SusanL TVH/BSO 3/8/00

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register