What are the signs when a little girl is nearing the time of her first period? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What are the signs when a little girl is nearing the time of her first period? What are the signs when a little girl is nearing the time of her first period?

Unread 06-05-2004, 06:53 PM
What are the signs when a little girl is nearing the time of her first period?

I know that this may sound very silly, but I always thought that the first signs are the development of breasts, acquiring pubic hair and the mood swings.

But, these days, I'm starting to wonder: my DD is 8 1/2 and, lately, has started to complain of abdominal cramping and head aches. And she does seem a little more moody than her usual moody self. I had my first period at 9 1/2 and always hoped and assumed she would have hers around the same or later.

Could she be heading for "womanhood" without having actually developped breasts or pubic hair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Unhappy - What are the signs when a little girl is nearing the time of her first period? What are the signs when a little girl is nearing the time of her first period?

I did LOL still don't have the breasts..
my 9 year old is doing all the same as your daughter and teary my God! I'm just waiting for her to come to me one day soon. I just know it's going to happen any day. My daughter however is starting to develope breast as well as all the classic symptoms.
Unread 06-06-2004, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the reply, Arlene. You see, my problem is that I've been wearing a "C" cup since I was 10 yo!! And MIL needed a breast reduction to a "C" cup (I think she was something like an "E" -- needed custom bras!!!)... OTOH, DD could always take after her godmother, my sister, who's an "A" cup

I was just soooo hoping she would take after her aunt and be a late bloomer: my sister was 13 when she had her first visit from Aunt Flo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Wink - What are the signs when a little girl is nearing the time of her first period? What are the signs when a little girl is nearing the time of her first period?

Dany,

I am your MIL, LOL, I developed at age 9 and remember being so embarrassed being in a bra in 4th grade. The girls put me through heck and the boys kept unhooking it. Got Aunt Flo when I was 12 and didn't get pubic hair until after I got Aunt Flo. My DD got Aunt Flo when she was 12 and cried for days afterwards, drove me crazy. Now she has the worst PMS going and I just laugh at her. I know, I know, I am such a mean Mom.
Once your daughter has regulated she will be a much happier child to live with, mine turned into my best friend.

Toni
Unread 06-06-2004, 10:06 AM

I found this description of the Tanner Stages (if you click on the link for "breast development," it takes you to the breast page). However, all the pediatric texts say that menses can start anywhere between stage II and IV .

I know that my DD is more tired and a bit more volatile (quite a statement, considering that we've called her the "drama queen" -- with good reason -- for a few years now!). I was 12 and never really did get breasts (even while nursing, I wore a cotton stretch bra and was a whole 34B). She's, if anything, even leaner than I was, so I'm not expecting that to be a clue. However, she's begun to develop a bit of peach fuzz "down there," and I'm thinking 11 or so, especially with all the soy she's consumed (she was milk allergic, hives and all, from birth to five years).

The abdominal discomfort worries me with her, but it's because she had surgery at two days of age to remove her large intestine (((Dany))) I know you know this, but others may not). She has known adhesions already; with me having endo, and her having eczema and asthma, her odds of endo are, unfortunately, high . And endo pain in girls can begin before periods start, so I'm told. Sure hope not!

Dany, we found that my DD's discomfort did improve a bit with reducing wheat and dairy (now that she can have it). Can't seem to fix the , though!

As always, if the pain persists, time to discuss with your doctor!

Big hugs to you both -- my DD will be 9 this next month!

Audrey
Unread 06-06-2004, 05:50 PM

Ok so after thinking about this I took my daughter into my room and we had our little talk. I asked her if anyone (friends at school or step sister 12) had said anything to her about a thing called a period. she said no. so I told her when she starts to become a woman her body will be changing and the place babies are formed in will bleed and come out on her undies..not to be scared when this happens because it is natural,and can happen to her anytime from 9 to 13. to just come tell me so I can give her the things she needs. She said COOL! I would have been scared mom cause I would have thought I caught what you had.
Unread 06-06-2004, 05:55 PM

Arlene,

Thank your daughter for that good laugh, that is the cutest thing I have ever heard from a little girl. Kids say the darndest things, but this one tops them all off. LOL LOL LOL I can't wait to meet her. Between your 2 and my 5, we will definitely have some good laughs.

Toni
Unread 06-06-2004, 06:21 PM

GIRLS...go out and get your DDs a book called "The Care & Keeping Of You". It's the BEST book for young girls to explain everything to them! I got it for my DD last year...she is 10 now...no signs of "IT" yet...thank God! But she knows everything about growing boobs, hair, grooming, periods, acne...skin care.......etc...etc...It's really on their "young" level. After they read it...you can sit down with them and answer any questions they may have! Good Luck!
Unread 06-06-2004, 06:40 PM

My poor 17 y/o DD told me today that she wants a sex change. LOL She's sick & tired of dealing w/periods, cramps, tender boobs, and she doesn't want to end up like me at 40 something having to have everything taken out. Poor baby-----I just had to look at her and give her that "I know, I know" look. Geez, she's got a long way to go!
Unread 06-07-2004, 02:52 AM

Hi Dany,

My DD had cramping and headaches before she showed the "signs" Too. I took her to Dr. and he said she was ovulating and the headaches were related to that. She got her visit with in 4 months of that. She is now 21 and before she stared on the depo shot, she would get migraines with every period. I had to take her to the ER mant times for meds. Now she only gets the migraines when under stress. If you see a pattern starting, please take her to Dr. They have a lot of great new meds for migraines so she wouldn't have to suffer with that and aunt flo!

Best wishes to both of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register