Brain surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Brain surgery Brain surgery

Unread 06-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Brain surgery

Hi Arlene,
one thing you might want to think about is having someone go with you to the appointment.

I know that I always went into major BLANK mode after a few minutes with the neurosurgeon -- I could only ever remember a fraction of what he told me..... (that 's when I started writing down questions AND answers)....

But writing things down or not, it was always better when I had someone with me.

Keeping you in my prayers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2004, 06:28 AM
Brain surgery

yes I will have someone with me. My DBF and family alway make sure I have someone with me..I am one of the lucky ones who gets pamperd alot.
Unread 06-09-2004, 06:56 AM
Brain surgery

My MIL had a benign but big one removed years ago .. she has managed to live a normal life so far . I hope you have an easy recovery .. its scray I would freek out too

mei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Brain surgery

Hi, what symptoms do you have??? I have an angioma on left side of brain(too deep to operate on) and several foccis, (lesions) on left side too. I get major headaches and light flashes out of left eye, sometimes cant seem to say the words i want too. it gets frustating when you are talking and then cant finish a sentence, because you lost the word. I get numbness on left side of head now, used to be right side face numbness. My hands are tingling. Having a test for that today. Let me know what you are experiencing. angie
Unread 06-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Brain surgery

Hi
thanks for all the responces
Angie..I get a sharp pain on the right side of my head just above and foreward of my ear not quite the temple but close. I only had one BAD head ache/migrain so far. starting on that side of my head and radiating around it..my head actually hurt to touch.It was so bad I went to the er by ambulance and I could not stop throwing up and had a hard time seeing. as of right now my tumor is small..it is a menningeoma of the right frontal lobe..thankfully encapsulated. as it grows and causes pressure it will give me menipausal type symtoms at first..good timing how will I know??? then as pressure increases it will effect speech, vision, memory and left side motor skills balance etc...
I am hoping it isn't too close to the optic nerve so I can have gamma knife surgery (non invasive). recoup time is easier. Less chance of swelling..it is also used for in operable tumors.
if it is near the optic nerve I won't have a choice but invasive.
At first I was why me and oh God..but we are better off than the pioneers before us..hopefully someone will learn something more when my proceedure is done and it will be easier for the next pioneer.
My prays are with you Angie
Unread 06-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Brain surgery

Arlene and Angie:
I admire your strengths and courage. Here I am freaking out over a bit of dizziness. Know that prayers/thoughts/care are being sent to y'all. I have a scan/MRI on June 23rd--dizziness has gone on longer than dr feels is normal--but then, what is normal
Trying to have a sense of humor--keeps me 'sane"
Take care--keep us informed

Edna
OH MY GOODNESS--Cheryl--I left you out--I am so sorry!!!
To be what you have been thru--bless you--it is good to know that someone has been before and 'cleared the way' so to speak.
Your encouragement/drive/example is endearing--
PLEASE forgive me for not mentioning you.
<hanging head in shame>
Unread 06-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Brain surgery

((((Arlene))))) and ((((Angie))))) you are strong, inspiring women. Sending tons of s your way. And ((((Cheryl)))) thank you so much for sharing your experience: I'm sure it helped

I just wanted to mention that I just finished reading an article in the July "Chatelaine", where this woman is telling about her mother's experience with a huge brain tumor: she had the surgery to remove it (they do not mention what type of tumor it was, nor where it was located) and how, despite a set back at 6 months post op (they do not mention if it was related to the brain tumor and/or the surgery) is now strong and healthy. And, by the second day post-op, it was not only evident that she hadn't lost any brain power, she had in fact recovered from the that had been afflicting her prior to the surgery. Just wanted to share this success story
Unread 06-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Brain surgery

what more can I say but Thank you..It is always good to hear of the success of others who have been there..Kinda what I need to hear Cheryl helped more than she knows.
Unread 06-10-2004, 12:35 AM
Brain surgery

My cousin's husband had an arteriovenous malformation (tangle of blood vessels) in his brain. The first they knew of it, he had a seizure in the middle of the night.

His surgery was long and complex, since this was 14 years ago too. For a while, he had to take seizure meds (still on a low, preventative dose) and couldn't get his drivers' license back for a year (again, though, this was due to the initial seizure). However, he went on to get a PhD in math from University of Washington in his forties AND a teaching credential from Seattle University. He now teaches high school math 3/4 time and loves it! He's an incredibly bright guy, also very athletic (he does the Seattle to Portland bike ride every year).

His prognosis at the outset was quite bleak, and he did have an infection that slowed his recovery down somewhat. But you'd not know today -- and I think he even forgets!

Our prayers are certainly with you -- and what a blessing that you have a supportive family around you!

Audrey
Unread 06-10-2004, 07:59 AM
Brain surgery

I am happy to hear he is doing so well! It's kind of funny how when things happen we take on a whole new perspective of life. Appreciating the beauty in life and the second chances we are given..
I have been thinking alot about it all and have been concidering furthering my career as well..I am a CNA HHA for the mentally ill..after all my surgeries are done I was thinking that my job, which I love, maybe a little too dangerous for me to do,as I go into their homes alone and sometimes things can get a little rough if meds have been skipped.
But since I enjoy working with and helping these people I was thinking of going back to school and becoming a therapist or advocate. MY DBF really likes the idea as he always worries when I go to work..he is in the mental health field as well and knows what can happen
.hehe looks like I went off subject ..anyway thank you for yet another success story with inspiration.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register