Anyone had ovarian transposition to try and spare them from the radiation field? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone had ovarian transposition to try and spare them from the radiation field? Anyone had ovarian transposition to try and spare them from the radiation field?

Unread 06-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Anyone had ovarian transposition to try and spare them from the radiation field?

First of all, I'm on my last round of cisplatin!! Next I have 6 weeks of rad :cry: due to the deep stromal invasion of the cervix. I was so happy when my sex drive returned with a vengeance after the hysterectomy, and now it looks like if I don't get the transposition my ovaries will most definitely be knocked out by the dose of the field which is 4500 cGy total. I don't know why they've decided to put me through all this, but hopefully someone out there has had a similar experience and it turned out positive. I hear that 50% of ovarian transposition is successfull, which is better than 0%.

-Kate (6 rounds chemo, RAH, all lymph nodes dissected and were clear, cervical cancer stage 1A2 with deep stromal invasion, radiation on way)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Anyone had ovarian transposition to try and spare them from the radiation field?

Hey there, congrats on being almost done! I live in the same area where you live. Do you see a gyn/onc near INOVA Fairfax?

I am wondering why you didn't have chemo and radiation together. That seems to be the common treatment for cervical cancer. Why did your gyn/onc decide to do them separately? I was told that I needed to have them together because the chemo boosted the radiation.
I had 25 external rads and 1 long internal in the hospital. I had cisplatin at the same time, every week for 6 weeks. Radiation was a breeze compared to chemo. Email me here if you would like. I'm a year ahead of you and I can tell you that it's all doable. By mid summer this will ALL be behind you.

Oh, sorry, I can't help with the ovary questions. I don't know anything about that.

Plan something fun to do for yourself when this is all done. Three weeks after my treatment ended I went to ST. John for a week of relaxation. It was wonderful. I also got a new car, gift from DH.

Email me,
Janie
Unread 06-07-2004, 10:42 AM

Glad to hear you're a year into your recovery! The doctors and I have been squabbling over my ovaries. I don't believe the chemo/radiation is as crucial as they say. Plus, they sort of dilly-dallied to the last minute and only had scheduled about one week of radiation to tack onto my last chemo. I'm trying to get the ovaries transposed since I'm in my late twenties and have fears about using hrt for the next 30 years of my life. Right now I can barely keep food down and feel as though i'm struggling on an acid trip gone bad. But it will all be over soon. Thank God for family and friends. I live in Woodbridge, I used to live in Arlington. I have been moved out this way since March. Its very beautiful, yes, I think you're right... its important to plan something for yourself.
-Kate

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register