Home Again! Home Again! Castle Tips!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home Again!  Home Again!  Castle Tips!!! Home Again! Home Again! Castle Tips!!!

Unread 06-06-2004, 10:43 PM
Home Again! Home Again! Castle Tips!!!

To my Divine Sisters ~ I had my TLH with LSO on Friday afternoon and returned home today. Here are a few tips for you LIWs who are as scared pre-op as I was:

1. Go ahead and cry if you need to. It helps release those last minute fears and my pre-op nurse was very sympathetic towards me when I became not just another "number" to her.

2. DO bring: earplugs, pillow, blanket, stuffed animal, books, magazines, cell phone, lip balm, and gum or mints (in addition to other items on your list). These were my must haves-- especially the ear plugs!!! I really needed them on my noisy floor. I slept most of the time, but having these few items made me feel like I was living the life of Reilly!

3. DO ask for a "binder" or "girdle": This is an elastic band that spans your waist and attaches with velcro. It made sleeping so much more comfortable for me!

4. DO ask for a single room: I requested one and when my first roommate left (whom I didn't remember because I was post-op and on morphine), they didn't put another one in with me. If you don't ask to have a single room, they won't know you want one!

5. BEWARE!!! Maternity Ward & OBGYN floor one and the same. Yes, you heard me correctly. I couldn't believe that in this day and age hospitals are really so insensitive to put hysterectomy patients right next door to mothers with newborns. If you forsee this being a problem for you, PLEASE speak out before you are assigned a room. It's a big enough surgery without needing further emotional snags.

Finally, good luck to all who are on their way! I was terrified before my Castle visit. I thought I'd die or have other horrible complications or still be in pain. Even though it is too soon to tell how I will feel after recovery, my endo pain does not seem to be there; rather, it has been replaced by a soreness and pain from the surgery, which is different. I also feel very CALM, which I haven't felt in a long time. I am more sure than ever that this was the right decision for me. May all of you have blessings & good luck in your own decision making!

s ~Clementine
P.S. Look for all the nitty gritty details to be posted in my journal sometime tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2004, 11:22 PM

Thanks for your post sister!

I am due in the castle at 1pm today and read your tips with interest.

Unfortunately we are not allowed mobile phones or anything electrical at our Castle so I will have to have phone withdrawal!

Glad your experience was positive so far.

Looby
Unread 06-06-2004, 11:28 PM

Yes, thanks for that post...I'm VERRY TERRIFIED!! But that did help me to relax....I have about 8 days of worry to get through....I have my ore-op Thursday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2004, 12:18 AM

I've wanted to tell pre-op patients--get a few Thermacares (or generic equivalent) to take with you. If you're tempted to use it on your TAH incision you'll want to clear it with your doc, of course, but if you get a backache or neckache or something else, not at ALL unlikely in a strange bed with strange pillows, nevermind how you were manipulated in the hospital, they're very very soothing on joint or muscle pain. I am so glad my mom brought me some while I was in because my neck gave me as much trouble as my TVH. You probably have your trouble spot.

My doc encouraged me to use it on my abdomen too and it definitely helped, especially with getting my bladder to relax post-op so I could urinate. (I had to cough for about the first two days after they took the catheter out, in order to urinate at all.) YMMV, depending on your doc's opinion. They stay warm for 8 hours plus, do not require anyone to microwave or plug them in, and they don't get so hot they can burn you if you're out of it.

Chapstick--absolutely essential. Hand lotion.

Odds are good you won't care if you have anything to read--I didn't, and I love reading--but a cheap stereo with headphones was invaluable to me. I don't like television and you can get through times of pain with music eaiser than you can get through times of no pain with no music!
Unread 06-07-2004, 12:49 AM

THANK YOU for those valuable tips! I'm due at the castle in about 4 hrs, and I'm trying not to freak out...see you gals on the flip side! Good luck to all LIW's! I'll be thinking about you!

~Chanda
Unread 06-07-2004, 12:52 AM

Welcome back, Clementine! Good tips!

My castle suite was on the maternity floor as well, but I found that comforting. I'm childishly phobic about hospitals and germs, so I found maternity soothing -- these ladies aren't sick. However, it IS a lot nosier, what with visiting children and all, so ear plugs were a DEFINITE plus.

I LOVE my binder. I'm using it tonight since I overdid a bit today.

Would not have survived without my sleep mask and tempur-pedic pillow, too.

Wishing you an uneventful recovery!

Inaminit
Unread 06-07-2004, 05:32 AM
I loved the maternity floor

I too was on the maternity floor and loved it. Of course I was at the end of the hall away from the nursury and nurses station. The hall I was in was for surgery cases including c sections. I loved hearing the babies crying and seeing their parents hold them on my daily multiple walks.
Unread 06-07-2004, 07:49 AM

One reason for hystersisters and maternity to be together is so that the surgeon doing rounds, who would do both hysterectomy and c-section, can see all his patients quickly and efficiently. Some hospitals call those floors "Women's Care" or "Women's Health Center".

Yes, if you have personal issues with mourning the loss of ability to have children, do by all means express this and ask to be put elsewhere. They can't read your mind, and it is to your benefit not to have this sensitive subject tweaked if it bothers you.

I for one, being a grandmother already, didn't mind being able to look at babies in the nursery when I took my walks.
Unread 06-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Music, Maternity Wards, etc

I remember both my stays on maternity wards to be noisy and not helpful to sleeping well. But I wasn't on any kind of pain killers after having my boys.

The music is a good idea, I'm already making a mental list of my most calming CD's. But I think I'll just be looking forward to getting home to hear DS#2, who is a fine clarinet/piano/organ player. When he wants to reach out and be kind to him mom, he has a way of playing all my favorite hymns. What a sweet kid.

I don't think being on maternity will bother me, it will be nice to walk to the nursery and see the babies, rather than just pace up and down a regular hallway. But i see how it could be rough on a woman who is in for a hyst if she was longing to have more kids.
Unread 06-07-2004, 12:46 PM

Welcome home!! So glad to hear all went well, I need to know that because I am going to the castle on the 18th. Those are great tips for what to take with you..I have also heard that a satin pillowcase is a good thing to take. Going to go get me one-might as well have some luxury!! Take care and keep up posted on how you are doing.
God bless,
Patti

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register