Sonogram Results Need Anyones Input On How To Read | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sonogram Results Need Anyones Input On How To Read Sonogram Results Need Anyones Input On How To Read

Unread 06-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Sonogram Results Need Anyones Input On How To Read

Hi, I HAD a transvaginal and transabdominal sonogram done and I finally got the hard copy of the results. If anyone can shed some light on this please do. I am confused to what exactly the doctor told me... here it goes.
THERE IS A DILATED TUBULAR-APPEARING STRUCTURE WITHIN THE MIDLINE AND EXTENDING TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PELVIS THAT HAS THE APPEARANCE OF A MARKEDLY DILATED FALLOPIAN TUBE. THE WIDEST AP DIAMETERIS 5 CM. CLINICAL CORRELATION IS SUGGESTED. FOR FURTHER ASSESMENT, IF CLINIACALLY INDICATED, A CT OF THE ABDOMEN AND PELVIS WITH ORAL AND IV CONTRAST WOULD BE HELPFUL FOR A MORE COMPLETE ASSESMENT AND TO RULE OUT ANY ADDITINAL PATHOLOGY.
IMPRESSION: THERE IS A DIALATED TUBEULAR-APPEARING STRUCTURE IN THE PELVIS WITHIN THE MIDLINE EXTENDING TO THE RIGHT, WHICH MAYBE SECONDARY TO A DILATED FALLOPIAN TUBE. THE PATIENT HAS A HISTORY OF PARTIAL HYSTERECTOMY.
Now I told the doctor I have been constipated off and on and I always had frequent urination because my bladder is prolapsed. The way Im takeing this is that they dont know if it is for sure a fallopian tube or it could be my bowel... I did call my old doctors nurse she said that they could of got my bowel instead of my fallopian tube.. Any input would greatly be appreciated. I am so scared its cancer thanks so much to all of you your all great ps what does clinical correlation is suggested mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2004, 12:14 AM

Obviously I don't know, but it sounds like they think you have a very enlarged tube although they want to rule out anything else with a scan. I'm pretty sure they would recognize a bowel .

I think that they are looking for something else to confirm what they found, something that would correlate with their findings. Again, I'm guessing.

Have you had a CA125 test?

When is your scan scheduled?

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I am sure that someone here will know more than I.

Best,

Janie
Unread 06-08-2004, 01:14 AM

"Clinical correlation is necessary" is what the radiologists write when the pictures alone can't tell the whole story. Your history, labwork, and other tests will have to fill in some of those details.

Dilated loop of bowel, perhaps just beyond some sort of constriction (such as adhesions, or scar tissue, can cause) could appear similar on ultrasound. The C-T scan, with IV, oral, and possibly enema contrast, might be far more effective. We occasionally did water enemas for our ultrasound patients if we were trying to rule out ectopic pregnancy versus dilated bowel -- again, this is where "clinical correlation is needed" comes in. Obviously, the labwork is different in a pregnancy!

The C-T isn't bad, although the oral contrast is quite a "clean-out" for some ladies. It was for me! The IV contrast is to see if there is blood vessel formation in the area of this "tubular structure." Cancerous lesions often form a tangled web of blood supply to feed themselves, and this would "light up" with the contrast on the C-T.

Five cm is a little over two inches. That's pretty generous for a Fallopian tube!

Hope that helps, and sounds like there's one more hoop to jump through on your way to getting some final and firm answer!

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register