Latest News on OVCA | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Latest News on OVCA Latest News on OVCA

Unread 06-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Latest News on OVCA

I subscribe to google news on ovarian cancer.
This is just out:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ed...nG=Search+News

It was on local news this evening coming from Phila and Good Morning America is doing promos for sharing this info in the morning. It is quite interesting as to the big three symptoms.
Perhaps doctors will listen better now!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Latest News on OVCA

Thanks for your post, Karenann. I experienced bloating less than 1 week before I saw my doctor. Isn't that something?! Of course, my other symptoms were occuring for some time before I saw my doctor...

Nevertheless, the bloating reminded me of a commercial that I'm seeing lately for a drug for women which is specifically for bloating. I think this is such irresponsible advertising. I guess because I never experienced bloating on a regular basis, I always think that someone watching that ad will ignore the symptoms and just take some drugs rather than paying attention to unusual symptoms.
Unread 06-09-2004, 01:20 AM
Latest News on OVCA

(((Maureen))): Those ads bug me too. Most of us who've dealt with significant endo consider the bloating "par for the course" and are often not further screened for cancer. CA-125 can be elevated with us, too.

The thing about that medication that concerns me is that they say it is contraindicated if you have adhesions. Well, how does the average woman, who's never had surgery, going to know? Endo and infections can cause some pretty severe adhesions that mimic IBS or cause intermittent bowel obstructions (I deal with that from time to time). I had a doctor suggest that medication to me about 8 months after my hyst. Every surgery I've ever had has commented on my "dense" adhesions and "severely increased" vascularity. Lots of reasons for intestinal symptoms, but these are NOT IBS. However, because I was female, and in my forties, his assumption was "IBS." After all, "it couldn't be endo, since you've had a hyst."

(((Karen))): It's not just the doctors who have to listen! Women have to believe themselves that this isn't normal, hard to do when there are possible confounding factors like endo going on. I went two years ignoring my symptoms. I'd lost 20 lbs (well, OK, ten of them needed to go ), looked six months pregnant, and had constant pain. It was always attributed to my known endo, and unless I was willing to take Lupron, no further treatments or diagnostics were offered to me. Since endo or adhesions don't show up on ultrasound or C-T, we often don't get investigated until it's too late.

It's hard enough for women to listen to their own bodies -- I sure hope this new research helps them to not only listen, but to speak up in time.

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2004, 03:55 AM
Hiya

Thats a very interesting post Karenann. I think i will print it and send it to my GP's practice. I had all three symptoms and was told i had a kidney infection by the GP :burning: I thought b----- to that and rang my gyne and the rest is history as they say!

Sheila

stage 1a grade 1 ovca
Unread 06-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Latest News on OVCA

Hello Everyone...

Hate to be the "Been there, done that" person but how very very true these articles are. Wish some of them had actually been there for me.

Ladies, I too agree with the somewhat false advertising of that commercial. It leads you to believe that that pill is a cureall for bloating when actually, we all know, that there are other causes to be looked into.

Another thing in our paper yesterday was an article about the ovarian cancer detection blood test. They say that it is 99% effective but some people are complaining that 99% is not good enough. How foolish,,, those numbers seem pretty good to me!!

Rosalie
Unread 06-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Article Made front Page in Our Paper Today

I was shocked it was on the front page and not relegated to an obscure part of the paper. I have e-mailed a letter to the editor referring to the OCNA and NOCC websites and adding more information. Hooray--we are being heard. Too late for a lot of wonderful women, but we are being heard.
Unread 06-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Latest News on OVCA

I saw this in our local paper today, though buried in the paper not on the front page of the first or any other section. Makes me mad -- any time there is any little blurb out about prostate cancer it makes the front page.
Unread 06-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Latest News on OVCA

I think prostate cancer (and breast cancer, for that matter) getsmore play because the stats are much worse. Isn't it 1 in 2 men and 1 in 8 women for those cancers, respectively?

I'm not saying ours isn't important. Heck, I had it, so I know it's important. But 1 in 55 isn't ever going to get as much play as 1 in 8, simply because of the numbers.

Still, we're making progress! Yay to Karenann and Ellen for so tirelessly fighting for our cause!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register