Dr. Johanna Budwig diet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr. Johanna Budwig diet Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Unread 06-10-2004, 07:51 AM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Has anyone tried Dr. Johanna Budwig's flax seed and cottage cheese diet? I have been reading about it and there seems to be alot of interest in it lately for all kinds of health ailments including cancer.

Bertha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2004, 11:04 AM
hiya

No i have never heard of it but would be very interested to know more. Thanks

Sheila
Unread 06-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

I also never heard of it. Please get more information and get back to us with it.

Thanks,
Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

I don't think I could handle a diet of flax seed and cottage cheese, but I would be interested in hearing more about how it might help with cancer prevention. I heard a dietitician say that flax seed was something all cancer patients should be eating. She didn't mention cottage cheese.

Janie
Unread 06-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Here are some web sites for her research and the diet.

http://www.whale.to/cancer/budwig.html

http://home.online.no/~dusan/disease...dr_budwig.html

You can join FlaxSeedOil2 group under yahoo to get more information. If you look up Dr Johanna Budwig in the google search there are quite a few web sites for her.

Bertha
Unread 06-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Ground flax seeds are wonderful for a great variety of things related to healing from cancer. I forget to take it sometimes, since it's in my freezer, but I remembered this morning. :-)

I personally love cottage cheese, but have cut it out of my diet, since it's a dairy product. There are three reasons for this:

1. Every single book (from many different cultures) I've read on alternative approaches to dealing with cancer -- and I've read a lot -- recommends getting rid of dairy.

2. The Harvard Nurse's Health Study, which is the largest study of women's health ever conducted, recently found a correlation between dairy consumption and ovarian cancer. The hormones and antibiotics in the milk we drink probably don't help matters. You can read about the study's more notable findings in the recent book "Healty Women, Healthy Lives." The sections "Lowering the Risk of Endometrial Cancer" and "Lowering the Risk of Ovarian Cancer" are found on pages 207-235. One paragraph of note:

"Lactose is the primary sugar found in milk and other dairy products. When consumed and digested, lactose is broken down into two components, galactose and glucose, which are then broken down even further. If galactose is not metabolized properly, it can accumulate in the ovaries, affecting ovarian function and hormone levels. This may in turn contribute to the development of ovarian tumors."

Copyright Simon & Schuster 2001

3. My nutritionist says no dairy, and she works primarily with ovarian, breast and brain cancer, and melanoma, patients. Her web site is www.nutritional-solutions.net. The "Lectures & Events" section has links to a number of interesting (free) presentations that she's given at cancer conferences, as well as to a list of what you should and shouldn't eat post cancer diagnosis. It's been hard, and I still struggle daily with a chocolate addiction, but I've honestly cut out most of what's in the "don't eat" column. :-P And I still eat really well.

For those who are new, I first saw her speak at the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance Conference -- which is where I met Karenann.

Hope this is of interest or helpful to some folks!

:-)
Unread 06-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

After reading the content under the first link BerthaC shared, I think it's important to note the following:

1. There is no mention of ovarian cancer.

2. In the breast cancer mention, the focus is primarily on low levels of Omega 3 fatty acids. This is notable. I do make a point of eating salmong 3-5 times per week, and also take a high-quality (not Trader Joe's, which can be rancid) Omega-3 fish oil (three capsules) daily for this reason.

I want to draw your attention to the following two paragraphs, which were from the first link that BerthaC provided. This is good information for anyone who's had cancer or wishes to prevent it:

"In a 1994 study of 121 women with breast cancer, those in more advanced stages whose breast cancer had spread to their lymph nodes showed the lowest levels of omega-3 fatty acids in the breast tissue. After 31 months, the 20 women who had developed metastases had significantly lower levels of these EFAs (Essential fatty acids) than those who didn't. Another study out of Boston University using the same type of tissue profiles that were used in the breast cancer study demonstrated that patients with coronary artery disease likewise had, low levels of EFAs.

"The association between fats—meaning saturated, refined w6s (Omega 6), rancid fats, processed oils, and altered fats---and cancer, (but excluding w3s and fresh, natural, unrefined oils) has long been documented. (They) interfere with oxygen use in our cells. Heat, hydrogenation, light, and oxygen produce chemically altered fat products that are toxic to our cells….These fats kill people. Healing fats in cancer include…… w3s (Omega 3s), enhance oxygen use in cells, decrease tumour formation, slow tumour growth, decrease tumour formation, decrease the spread of cancer cells (metastasis), and extend the patient’s survival time."

By Robert Willner, MD

http://www.whale.to/cancer/budwig.html
Unread 06-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Vitamin D

One note of caution: if you cut dairy out make sure to get enough sun exposure (15 min/day on the face and hands if you are Caucasian, 20-25 if you have a darker skin color), or take a vitamin D supplement. Vitamin D deficiency is starting to rise again in this country.
Unread 06-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Vitamin D is also good for calcium absorption. Many doctors recommend that you take an A&D supplement along with your calcium.
Unread 06-11-2004, 06:17 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Exactly Siren! In fact, it's difficult to separate the benefits of calcium from vitamin D since they are so closely related. I actually do research on vitamin D and cancer so this is one thing I feel very strongly about

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register