Dr. Johanna Budwig diet - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr. Johanna Budwig diet Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Unread 06-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

WOW - what a wonderful post Bertha and what an informative thread. Thank you all.

SirenSong: I went on Dr. Wallace's site as you had noted and I've printed many pages of interesting and valuable information that I'll be reading over the weekend.

I found these pages encouraging as well as this info regarding flaxseed - thank you Bertha, SirenSong and all you knowledgeable ladies that posted - I continue to learn much. Now, putting it to practice.

Sending you all s and much affection!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

I an sorry my post was taken wrong. I was only asking if anyone had heard of this diet. Hystersisters has made me diet conscious now that I have this awful disease. I never promoted that anyone start it, I feel this is a personal decision. I was only asking if anyone had tried it or heard of it. I did hear about it on another Ovarian Cancer board, The John Hopkins OvCa board. I thought this was a place that we could ask questions and share information. I am sorry it was taken wrong. Be well.

Bertha
Unread 06-13-2004, 08:29 AM
Question for Siren Song

I recently saw an article on the American Cancer Society's website entitled, "Role of Dairy Products in Reducing Ovarian Cancer Risk Still Confusing." The September 24, 2002 article discusses several studies with conflicting results regarding dairy products and ovarian cancer. One study, for example, found that low fat milk and butter reduced the risk for ovarian cancer (while other dairy products such as cheese, yogurt and ice cream did not).

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/co..._Confusing.asp

This ACS article, and the research it reports, is not consistent with the recommendations contained in your alternative practictioners' books. Is it possible that these practitioners might have recently modified their positions based on more current research?

MoeKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Hiya

BerthaC why do you think your post was taken wrong?? I was very interested to read about it and tomorrow i shall be going out and buying a tub of flaxseed oil. I already eat cottage cheese!
Thanks for the info

Sheila
Unread 06-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

BerthaC, I think your post was great! I think this site is for exploring new ideas--I hope I didn't post anything that made you think otherwise.

MoeKay-the role of dairy products for all cancers, not just ovarian, is still very much up in the air. Therefore, practitioners are cautious when dispensing guidelines for consumption.

However, getting enough calcium and vitamin D is very important and if dairy is eliminated, one should make sure that there is adequate intake from other sources.
Unread 06-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Bertha
I think you asked a perfectly good question. The role of diet and cancer is such a vast one. I choose to lean toward the follow a balanced no-frills diet with an occassional treat or two for good measure. But I do read other peoples views of some extreme diets.

I don't think you'll ever get a unanimous opinion about diet as it relates to anything. One of the reasons is that diet changes are often not laboratory tested as strictly as medications. I also believe that just because its natural, it is not necessarily good for you.

We must remember that what is written here is a cyber opinion from a hyster friend, (not necessarily scientific fact,) But, everyone has their own opinion and I certainly welcome yours and everyone else's.

Take care.

's

Ruth S
Unread 06-14-2004, 07:11 AM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Thanks all....I think I was having one of those weepy days yesterday. I'm better today. LOL. There was mention in one article about Ovarian cancer but of course I can't find it again. I read so many articles on the Budwig approach.

Bertha
Unread 06-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Flax seed

I do know of someone who swears by the flaxseed/ cottage cheese diet.
She is a stage 4, 4-year survivor from England.

The way I understand it, the cottage cheese is eaten for its protein. It is meant for someone who is not eating well, so the cottage cheese is meant for easy digestion. That is the way I understand it. I personally take my flax seeds with soy milk. Flaxseed is a perfect food, so I think it is beneficial to add it to my diet.
Unread 06-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Many Apologies

Oh no! Bertha! I am so sorry! I didn't think you were recommending anything! I didn't mean to make you think that you had done anything wrong! I was just trying to contribute some extra knowledge!

I am mortified if I offended you. I am so sorry! I honestly was just trying to contribute what I'd learned, which people are always able to take or leave. :-)

Please accept my heartfelt apology! I should have taken pains at the start of my "here's the research I've found" post to say, "Wow! That sounds interesting! Here is some additional research." I was typing so fast, though, and trying to juggle books to quote from that I must've not written it in a way that came off correctly.

Again, my humble apologies. I'm glad for this thread and for all the interesting info and links that other people have posted.

MoeKay --
That's really interesting info! I will ask my nutritionist about it. I would assume that lower-fat, non-hormone dairy products would be healthier choices. Butter? That's a weird one! :-)

Soranna --
Glad the link was helpful. The stuff on that site is very much based in scientific study, which is why it's resonated so well with me.

For those who care, my diet is really not all that drastic. But it does get weird. Last night, I had soup, nuts, flax seeds and six Hershey's Kisses. It was one of those "no groceries, too late to shop" nights. ;-)

Luckily, I went to the gym before my awful dinner. I've been encouraged to do weight-bearing exercise, so my sister bought me a gym membership. Yay!

s!
Unread 06-15-2004, 05:34 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Say . . . .

I just checked out the link that MoeKay posted, and then found some other articles on the same page. This article (see link) says that dairy had a negative effect on survival. It notes that women with the highest concentration of vegetable consumption (excluding potatoes) had the best survival rates.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/co...ian_Cancer.asp

Here is the part that is most interesting to me:

Vegetables Seemed Beneficial
Nagle and her colleagues studied 609 women with invasive epithelial ovarian cancer, the most common type of ovarian cancer. They asked the women about their intake of 119 foods during the year prior to their cancer diagnosis.

About 45% of the women in the study lived longer than five years. And the women who survived the longest were the ones who ate the most vegetables (excluding potatoes). Women who ate plenty of cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower also survived longer, as did women who got high levels of vitamin E from foods (vitamin supplements did not appear to have an effect). A very small benefit was seen among women who ate the greatest amounts of meat (although this may have been due to chance).

Eating dairy products, however, seemed to have a negative effect on survival. Women who consumed the most lactose, calcium, and dairy products had about a 30% greater risk of dying early than women who ate the smallest amounts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register