Dr. Johanna Budwig diet - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr. Johanna Budwig diet Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Unread 06-16-2004, 05:39 AM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Dear sirensong and chicklet....no offense taken by either of you. Sirensong you are the one that got me interested in all the different nutritional avenues and how they affect our bodies. I did read one artcle on this diet and it was specifically for women with OvCa. It said even though it is recommended that no dairy products be taken this should be the exception. It recommended low fat or soy cottage cheese. I can't find the article again, I read so many that day. When I originally found it it was on a google search for Budwig and flax seeds. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Bertha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 06:27 AM
National Cancer Institute

Here's a link to a National Cancer Institute site on diet and cancer which reviewed 13 studies conducted on different foods and reported on their suggested association with either an increased or decreased risk of various cancers.

http://seer.cancer.gov/studies/epide...y/study20.html

With respect to ovarian cancer, the NCI reports that a decreased risk association was suggested between ovarian cancer and dairy calcium and lactose. The NCI lists the as one of the studies relied upon the Goodman study (Amer. J. Epidemiology, 2002), which is the same study discussed in the American Cancer Society's link in my prior post.

MoeKay
Unread 06-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Dairy/ovarian cancer

MoeKay,

I would be careful with the interpretation of that study. First, it is only one study. None of the other investigations listed in the article tackled ovarian cancer. In addition, there have been many studies that have shown lactose to increase the risk of ovarian cancer. Goodman himself expected to see the opposite of what he saw.

The same holds true for butter; other studies have shown increased risk with butter consumption or no relationship at all, plus the result for increasing intake vs. risk of ovarian cancer is not statistically significant.

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Chicklet,

I think in making decisions in what the National Cancer Institute describes as the "provocative field" of the effect of diet on cancer, it is important to be aware of the results of all currently-available research.

Goodman is a recent study, and is reported on the major cancer sites, including, as the two links I've provided above indicate, the ACS and NCI. I posted information on the study to provide those interested in this issue with one more piece to the puzzle that might assist them in making the best informed decisions possible.

MoeKay
Unread 06-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

I agree that all possible information should be posted, which is why I responded to your post, since I disagree with your statement below.

Quote:
With respect to ovarian cancer, the NCI reports that a decreased risk association was suggested between ovarian cancer and dairy calcium and lactose.
The NCI does not support a protective association between lactose and ovarian cancer, as this statement made it sound. The page that you linked to is in regard to Hawaii-based SEER studies only, and does not address the volumes of other epidemiological studies that have been published.
Unread 06-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

You know, I always find research so interesting. It is interesting to read about all the different types of studies and the results that come from them. As we all know, lots of studies contradict each other. And we all know people who (even though their docs recommended treatment based on the best research available) refused conventional treatment such as chemo and had a great outcome. And we know others who went for conventional treatment based on the best possible research and had horrible outcomes. And we know those who went conventional and had terrific outcomes. And we know a myriad of circumstances and outcomes both good and bad.

I think it wise of all of us to read whatever we can and whatever we are interested in (objectively read). Then digest that information, learn what we can, research further, and decide if it makes sense for us in our particular situation. If so, then off to the doctor to discuss the possibilities. I may think one route is the best possible choice and someone else may roll their eyes at it and think I'm crazy to risk such a thing. But maybe a third person will agree with my position. In 2 years, the research may show something totally different. The beauty of it all, is that I know (regardless of what I choose) that I have the prayers and support of all of my sisters here. We may not agree on a variety of issues, but I appreciate that we are all able to come together and discuss ideas and share support and revel together in the miracles that occur and cry together over the obstacles that appear.

Bertha, I'm glad you brought our attention to this diet--it's more "food for thought" for all of us. Many of our ladies have brought a variety of dietary ideas here and I think all of them are worthy of examination. Remember, the key is to find what you're comfortable with and what you and your doctor decide is most appropriate for you. I wish we all had a crystal ball so that we could see ahead of time which option is best for us, but since we don't have that crystal ball, well, I guess we go with our gut and hope for the best and believe that we will be healed.

Here is wishing all of us future's filled with health, happiness, and peace, however we choose to arrive there!

's to each and every one of you!
Unread 06-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

Hi, Chicklet:

Just so that there is no further confusion and everyone is clear, here is a direct quote from the NCI website I provided above, which discusses the results of the 13 different studies it reviewed, only one of which was on ovarian cancer:

"The following decreased risk associations were suggested: fiber, soy products, and other legumes with endometrial cancer; dairy calcium and lactose with ovarian cancer; beta-carotene, overall vegetable consumption, and vitamin A with lung cancer; and carbohydrate intake with breast and corpus-uteri cancers. No associations were found for dietary vitamin C and cancer."

I'm sorry if you may have misinterpreted my statement--I certainly never said that the NCI supported a protective association between lactose and ovarian cancer.

MoeKay
Unread 06-16-2004, 02:30 PM
thanks Moekay!

Thanks for clarifying that MoeKay. This is a good example of how misleading it can be when the results of only one study are presented without regard for the literature. The media, in particular, like to do this, especially with regard to diet and cancer.
Unread 06-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

I love lively debate! It encourages us all to do more research and to put our "never recur" thinking caps on!

For what it's worth, I sent the dairy article to my nutritionist, and here is her response:

>>Thanks for the link article on dairy! Because milk products are fortified with vitamin D (a good cancer fighting nutrient) and are also a source of CLA, this might be the reason for the finding. Nonetheless, other research shows many women are missing an enzyme the metabolizes milk sugars, and this lead to the promotion of ovarian cancers. Avoidance may be the best choice! Thanks for thinking of me and sending this!

MoeKay --
I guess I have a few problems with that NCI quote (not with you, though -- you're wonderful!). Many of the things listed as being risk decreasers for only one cancer are risk decreasers for the other cancers listed also. But thanks for sharing it. It does conflict with every single thing I've read and heard about dairy and ovarian cancer, but it's interesting. :-)

From the ACS (just in case my post was too long before and people didn't get to this part):

"Eating dairy products, however, seemed to have a negative effect on survival. Women who consumed the most lactose, calcium, and dairy products had about a 30% greater risk of dying early than women who ate the smallest amounts."

By the way: Every doctor will tell you that he or she gets THREE HOURS of nutrition training in medical school. My wisest doctors have simply told me that they honestly don't know, and that I need to see someone who does regarding diet and cancer.

Great conversation, everyone! :-)
Unread 06-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Dr. Johanna Budwig diet

I have learned so much from reading this thread. It is wonderful the way everyone on this site shares what they have learned and respect each other's opinions. It is good that we have so much information available, but sure can be confusing at times. There are so many types of cancer, and probably so many different causes. It seems that what causes cancer in some people might cure it in others! People respond very differently to the same treatments too. I think we must just keep up on the latest research, have good Dr's working with us, and try to come up with an individualized plan.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register