Ask for cranberry juice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ask for cranberry juice Ask for cranberry juice

Unread 06-12-2004, 02:49 AM
Ask for cranberry juice

Hello to all who are getting ready for the Big Day!

I'm now about four months postop TAH (kept my ovaries), went back to work at five weeks (wish it could have been six or seven, but I survived), and thought I would share a story about what happened with my and my catheter before I was discharged from the hospital.

I just couldn't urinate after the nurse took out my catheter the day after surgery. She told me she'd give me about six hours to go on my own, and if I couldn't she'd have to put the catheter back in. Yikes.

It was getting close to the six-hour mark, and I finally thought to ask for some cranberry juice. It worked like magic. I think I had to drink about three cups of it, but it finally did work. (Whew!)

Just thought I'd pass that on, in case anybody else has any trouble in that regard.

I really am glad I had my surgery. I've been very lucky and have had no complications. I was worried about going back to work (that turned out OK, after some initial exhaustion), and I was definitely worried about being intimate with my boyfriend after my surgery (that turned out fine, too, we just took things slowly and worked back up to the Full Monty). I still have some swelling around my scar, but that's going down a millimeter at a time, I think.

At any rate, best wishes to all of you. Try not to fret too badly. Cook a bunch of meals ahead of time, catch up on laundry, scrub the house/apartment before you go in, and be prepared to put your feet up and be a Princess when you get home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 02:20 AM
Ask for cranberry juice

Hi Cajun Sissy,
glad you are doing well !

thanks for your tips and may you continue down the road to full recovery happily!
Unread 06-16-2004, 07:31 AM
Ask for cranberry juice

Gee, I wish I had known about cranberry juice. The inability to pee was the toughest part for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 07:38 AM
Ask for cranberry juice

I had the same problem post op -- they actually kept me an extra night because I could not urinate. AFter being cathed twice post op, I started drinking as much water as I possible could and drank a lot of cranberry juice as well (probably ten of those little cups they have at the hospital each day). It worked!

After being sent home I started to have some more urinary problems 4 days post op and went back to the doctor. I did not feel like I was emptying my bladder and it was difficult to urinate. She said that my urethra was swollen from all the poking around. I am now on a round of antibiotics to make sure I don't get a UTI and I am still drinking at least 16 oz cranberry juice each day!
Unread 06-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Cranberry Juice

Yes, I started drinking cranberry juice about 7 days prior to surgery 2-3 x a day and I think this is partially why I had no problems with the cath. or going afterwards. I also loaded up on vitamin C's 7-10 days before surgery...any excess is just eliminated naturally through the body...vit c is a tissue builder and promotes healing from what I've read. Good luck to all
Unread 06-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Ask for cranberry juice

The first thing I asked for was cranberry juice when I was awake enough.. I didn't have any problems.. I have always drank it just because it is so good for you... That is the only kind of juice I buy.. my kids love it too!! And if I feel like I am having problems urinating, i just go and get a big glass of it.. always works...

Take Care and God Bless!!
Melissa
Unread 06-17-2004, 07:13 AM
Egads, I put this on the wrong board...

Thanks for all the replies. (I wish I had known to start drinking juice it before the big day! And I didn't think about taking extra vitamin C, either, but another great suggestion.)

Duh, I realized just now that I thought I put this on the preop board. Guess I'm more tired than I realized!

Thanks for the good wishes, and same to everyone out there. I really wish I'd known about this site before I had my surgery. So many sisters have posted such helpful hints and given wonderful encouragement to others. It's so fantastic to be able to share in a global sisterhood and use the web as a place to spread good cheer, hope and love.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register