why no chemo | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Why no chemo?

I`ve already done all of my external rad. treatments.I start my internals(once a wk. x 3) The rad/onc says I don`t need it & I never asked him why.
Just wondering if anyone has any idea why.

Thanks ahead of time!
: )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2004, 11:15 PM
why no chemo

Congratulations on finishing radiation : If your Dr says you do not need chemo it must mean that the radiation took care of everything! Some people only need surgery, and some need only radiation or chemo and some are treated with all three. depending on the type of cancer and if it has spread.
Unread 06-11-2004, 11:37 PM
why no chemo

Katie,
It depends on the kind of cancer you had. In 1999 the clinical trials showed that chemo, given with radiation, increased survival rates for cervical cancer by a significant amount.
http://www.amh.org/healthsrv/cervct.htm
http://www.ynhh.org/healthlink/cancer/cancer_4_99.html

>>>Survival rates increased:
The new studies, sponsored by the National Cancer Institute, involved dozens of institutions and nearly 2,000 women across the country. The studies took place from 1992-97, except for one seven-year study. Among the women studied, survival rates increased 30 to 50 percent when post-surgical treatment included the chemotherapy drug cisplatin along with radiation therapy.<<<

Other cancers, endometrial, for instance, has no such studies, as far as I know. There may be no evidence that chemo with radiation is more effective with your type of cancer.

Hugs,
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2004, 11:54 PM
why no chemo

Katie,
I don't know what kind of cancer you had, but even if you had cervical cancer, I just found another study that says chemo may not be necessary if your cancer was small enough to be treated with just surgery or radiation.
http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/E7726.htm

What kind of cancer did you have? What stage? How big a tumor? All of that would give you clues as to why you didn't need chemo.

Hope this helps,
Janie
Unread 06-12-2004, 06:34 AM
Be thankful

Katie, Be thankful you don't need chemo. I am. I didn't have a gyn cancer. I had breast cancer -- DCIS / stage 0. It was caught early. Lumpectomy with good margins. Thirty-three radiation treatments with which I had virtually no problems. Tamoxifen for five years. No problems with that.

Whatever the cancer, for whatever reason(s) -- sometimes you don't need chemo. I am so thankful.

Mary D.
Unread 06-12-2004, 09:53 PM
why no chemo

To begin,Thanks so much for your replies!
Don`t get me wrong,I`m thrilled I don`t have to do chemo,I was just wondering.I don`t know many spec.`s,except it` s 1b1.I`m a little scared to try to find out more `cuz in the begining I was reading EVERYTHING! Bout scared the bejebbies outta me : )
I`m grateful for the rad. group I have-they`re all GREAT!(Did I say my ob/gyn was a jerk(not an onc. either)
Unread 06-12-2004, 10:11 PM
why no chemo

Sorry,this is supposed to be a reply....
Unread 06-12-2004, 11:06 PM
why no chemo

Katie,
I'm not sure if you are saying you DO want to know, or you DON'T want to know.

In most cases cisplatin is given with radiation for cervical cancer. Only your doctor can tell you why he chose a different treatment for you.

Janie
Unread 06-13-2004, 08:15 AM
why no chemo

katie--

First, I'll admit that my cancer was a little weird--1a1, but with focal lymphovascular involvement. No one knew WHAT to do with it!

However, it was my feeling that if no one knew whether it had spread, I didn't want to irradiate myself just in case. My first gyn/onc pushed for radiation; my second opinion gyn/onc told me he would do anything to keep me away from radiation and chemo, and he did. I know of several others on the board who have sought actively to avoid radiation with the approval of their gyn/onc's. I think the choice for chemo/radiation has a lot to do with your doctor's philosophy combined with the size and spread of your cancer.

I'm glad for you, that you can avoid chemo! But I concur with Janie--ask your doc why he chose your particular treatment over others available.

Valarie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register