Proactive health care | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Proactive health care Proactive health care

Unread 06-14-2004, 12:23 AM
Proactive health care

After reading so many of your posts about your experiences with endo cancer I can't help but be a little appalled about the lack of information out there about endo and uterine cancers. I had so many of the symtoms for it, but didn't know it. I knew I was at risk for uterine cancer because I wasn't ovulating properly, and here's the thing.......when I moved I told my new (highly recommended) ob/gyn of my history and that I had previously been getting regular uterine biopsies. I was told that wasn't really necessary. Although I continued to mention it occassionally I was always told it wasn't called for. My periods finally got so irregular and long that I *asked* for a uterine ablation which revealed stage 1A endo cancer. I understand this is not a forum for health care complaints but I want my sisters to know that if you have concerns and you even have a hint of skepticism that you may not be getting the proper care or advice, please find another doc right away. By requesting a uterine ablation I saved my own life. I consider myself the luckiest of women that my cancer was only stage 1a.
By taking our own health care into out own hands and through education we can save our own lives.
I think that so many of the ob/gyn's out there are mostly concerned with their patients who are pregnant, that those of us that are ill get left in the dust.
Thanks for sharing all your stories and my prayers and thoughts go out to each and every one of you that have suffered and here's to a long, healthy and happy life to us all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2004, 01:58 AM
Proactive health care

It is only because of my ob/gyn that my cancer was discovered. While I wanted to deny anything was wrong my gyn kept pushing me for more tests, more sonograms, and finally insisted that I see an oncologist even when no test showed that I had cancer, the sonogram doctors thought I had a fibroid, and my pap smears had been negative for 30 years. My gyn kept saying, "something's not right" and pushing me until we got an answer. I know that I am very fortunate to have such a wonderful ob/gyn. He's been great to me for 19 years, through pregnancies, miscarriages and cancer, he hasn't let me down yet. I haven't seen in over a year and he still calls me to see how I'm doing and calls the gyn/onc.

I am sorry that you were not so fortunate with your medical care. Most doctors do care about their patients, and often err on the side of more tests, not less.
That may be due to fear of lawsuits, but I don't really care what their motivation is, as long as they do the right thing.

What is an 'abalation'?

Glad you have a very curable stage cancer.

Best,
Janie
Unread 06-14-2004, 01:59 AM
Proactive health care

Oops, I forgot something. What were your symptoms of uterine cancer? And why didn't all of those biopsies show anything?

Thanks,
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2004, 07:54 AM
Proactive health care

Hi Janie,

A uterine ablation is a surgical procedure that removes some of the endometrial lining of the uterus. In my case it was because the endometrial lining had become so thickened because I wasn't ovulating properly. It can help control excessive bleeding.
The reason all the prior uterine biopsies didn't reveal cancer was because they were all performed over 4 years ago. The doctor I had when I lived in another state was concerned about the risk I had for uterine cancer because of my ovulation problem which can lead to thickening of the endometrium which can put you at risk for cancer. When I moved and saw a new doctor I thought maybe the doctor in Georgia was performing unecessary biopsies since my new doc didn't think it was called for. I SHOULD HAVE RESEARCHED FURTHER MYSELF. That was my mistake and the reason for my post. I want to let my sisters know to ask for biopsies if they have any of the following symtoms or conditions:
1) irregular periods (not having one for months and then having a period that lasts for months
2) heavy periods with clotting
3) watery discharge
4) bleeding after sex or bowel movements
I'm not a doc, and I'm sure these symptoms can indicate a host of other problems and doesn't mean you have cancer, but they may be an indicator.
I only asked for a uterine ablation because a woman at work had similar symptons and that's what her doc did for her.
Thank God I did........I'm blown away that after all the symptons I had, and going 4 years without a biopsy that I only had stage 1a cancer. I dodged a HUGE bullet and I'm grateful to God and thank him everyday for looking out for me.
Good luck Janie, I wish you all the best and hope you have a speedy and total recovery!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register