nausea help? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-16-2004, 01:36 AM
nausea help?

I like the idea of accupressure .. I tried one of those wrist bands once years ago for tavel sickness and I didnt puke on the plane

I willtry the toe thingy too

thanks

mei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 01:39 AM
nausea help?

Ginger ale is a soft drink. It is sort of beer coloured, but not alcoholic. It is available in the States and Canada... I don't know about other countries. I know you are in Singapore, so even if you liked ginger it would probably be tricky to find.
we used to drink it all the time as kids when we were sick - Mom would stir it up to get rid of the bubbles and we'd sip it. (now I know it was the ginger that would be working on us!!)
Unread 06-16-2004, 03:18 AM
nausea help?

thats interesting .. they probably have it in the more upmarket supermarts ..

whats bad with antiemetics for is is this

take the wrong one my eyeballs roll up .. I cant see until they give me an antidote to make it come back down . Im functionally blind

mei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2004, 01:22 AM
nausea help?

barium thingy tomorrow wish me luck *waves*

mei
Unread 06-17-2004, 02:01 AM
nausea help?

Big s to you -- and remember, you don't taste it at all, thank goodness! I've had a tube down, and it's not "fun," exactly -- but it sure beats barium the other way around .

audrey
Unread 06-17-2004, 06:09 AM
nausea help?

if they do put barium into my rear end what if I umm *blush* fart

mei
Unread 06-17-2004, 08:56 AM
nausea help?

Well, if you didn't do a full bowel prep, they're not going in "that way!"

And, you wouldn't be the first, I'm sure!

Audrey
Unread 06-17-2004, 09:48 AM
nausea help?

LOL I can w ell imagine

Them : madam please rol over
me : yup
them : madam please hold still
me : yup
Them : ( pumps ) madam please dont fart

me : Nope
opsy

mei
Unread 06-17-2004, 10:14 AM
nausea help?

Glad to see the sense of humour is still intact!

Let us know how it went, OK?

Audrey
Unread 06-18-2004, 06:19 AM
nausea help?

I had the barium meal done today . Initially they wanted to intubate me ---through my NOSe at that .. so that the rate at which the barium went in was controlled . I went NO WAY and explained why .I had recently gone through the ph motility test where they threaded a tube through my nose into the stomach AWAKE !!! and for sure I was not about to repeat that experience . It felt like a fish hook scrapimg its way down despite the numbing spray . In other words the local was useless.

Thankfully the Dr understood and allowed me to drink the barium but at the rate he ordered . It was : drink a mouthful now .. waiitttttt dont swallow .. ( there I stood with this mouthful of chalk ) mumbling under my breath .OK madam please swallow now .( GULP ) . It didnt taste too bad .. rather mild compared to some of the meds I had taken .However the smell was abit off putting .I had to drink 2 BIG cups of that yukky stuff which diminished my enthusiasm for peppermint .

The table tilted at various angles . It was interesting watching the progress of the barium . The monitor was basically a negative so all that black stuff was the barium going down . You could actually see the peristalsis movements of the gut as the stuff went down . I was amazed at how quickly it went through the system .

Then came a point when it started to enter the lower gut was when the 'FUN'( NOT ) started. The Dr had to compress my abdolmen to try and seperate the lower gut so that they could watch the peristalsis movements of the lower gut . There was a particularly stubborn section of my bowel/gut that refused to budge .

Even to the untrained eye it was obvious . There came the bad news LOL . Umm Madam we seek your permission to do an additional procedure . I whined : what ??? They wanted to insert a tube through my anus to pump in gas to try and free the stuck section of my gut so that they could watch it behave . I went oh yeah OK .....

The Drs left the room while the nurse brought the tubing in .My god the thing was the size of a small garden hose . Now our poo is basically larger than that BUTT it was going out not in .I wasnt too fussed up about it initially . It felt like a suppository being inserted and didnt hurt at all . Then as it went in abit deeper I laughed but yelped : Umm nurse I have to _____ ( alternative word for poo ) .

She fought hard to stiffle a smile and went yes its ok I will give you a diaper just in case . This was the first time since babyhood that I had one of those on .It was huge . But I had that peace of mind that I was not going to soil the table . The team came back in .

They had to pump in gas at a very controlled rate .The first pump had me whining through a broken laugh : I have to fart oh god nooo .....

The team professional to the end didnt laugh but why did I sense them grinning ? I heard a tone of amusement as they repeated what the nurse said and explained that that feeling was normal .I did pass gas but thankfully no other product came out of my rear end . It wasnt to bad except for 2 occasions when the gas went in abit too fast and I had colic type pains but it was bearable .No go . The stuck section remained stubbornly stuck . It was the Dr said probably due to my adhesions and it wasnt all the time that an obstruction was present . On and off I could get a trigger that would cause a flare up and the gut might just twist itself or something and there would be a pileup .Which explains my nausea and occasional backflow of food ... because if there is a pileup there the whole tract is affected .

It didnt take very long the whole procedure . Not more than two hours . The only problem that cropped up was that stubbornly stuck portion . In some ways Im glad I took the test because it revealed a possible potential problem that could be observed for further development and well surgery I hear is a last resort . At least for now I 'know' whats going on inside but I realise too its not the end of the road . I may at anytime get a relapse of the adhesion colic pains I had that kept me in for ten days in April 2004.

Cheers .
Thanks for your time .
Mei
( 10 hours later Im still farty )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register