ovarian cancer after hysterectomy-possible? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovarian cancer after hysterectomy-possible? ovarian cancer after hysterectomy-possible?

Unread 06-14-2004, 01:39 PM
ovarian cancer after hysterectomy-possible?

I had a LAVH Nov. 2003. I am still swollen to the size of a woman 4-6 months pregnant. I have gained 10# and continue to gain despite south beach diet, atkins diet, weight watchers diet, exercise, etc. I have had an abdominal ultasound but it showed nothing. My fingers and hands swell also as well as the top of my thighs. I am sore in the lower abdomen and especially low back. When I get out of bed somedays I can barely walk due to soreness and stiffness. I thought having my uterus (adenomyosis) removed would get rid of this swelling which has been present about 2 years now. I have had kidney/bladder trouble ruled out, thyroid okay. I am having more blood work done tomorrow for a multitude of other conditions. When I saw the urologist last week to rule out kidney/bladder, he asked me if I was sure the doc took out the ovaries as I have all symptoms of ovarian cancer. I have ordered a copy of the pathology report from the ovaries as I never saw it but was told it was okay. Has anyone heard of having ovarian cancer once the ovaries have bee removed ... i.e. the cancer having spread from the ovaries to other organs after surgery? I am so frustrated that I have arranged an appointment at the Mayo Clinic in August because the doctors here can't find out what is wrong. I have spent thousands of dollars on doctors, tests, scans, MRIs, etc. to no avail. Can anyone suggest anything that may help? Also, when I exercise my stomach swells up twice the size it normally is which is large to begin with! The only exercise I can do that doesn't swell me up is walking. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2004, 02:39 PM

Hi

I'm sorry I don't know the answers to your questions but I do know you are doing the right thing to pursue what the problem is.

I feel that you have to listen to your body and if it is not right, turn every stone over until you find out the cause. Don't stop until someone listens to you.

Keep me posted on how you make out at the Mayo Clinic

Prayers and s
Unread 06-14-2004, 05:13 PM

Hi Leslee Are you on HRT? The symptoms you're describing also sound like they could be due to a hormone imbalance. I get most of them when my estrogen level is too low (including the weight gain).

You mentioned that your ovaries were removed and the pathology came back clean... so it's hard to imagine that there could have been a cancer that somehow started in the ovaries and moved to other tissues, leaving the ovaries cancer free However, it is theoretically possible that some ovarian tissue can be left behind after an oophorectomy and that tissue could develop cancer later on. Very remote possibility, but possible. My money's on the hormones though.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2004, 06:02 PM

s Leslee

To answer your question, yes, even after a hyterectomy you can develop a kind of ovarian cancer called primary peritoneal.
It is very rare, but it can happen.
Last week a major statement about ovarian cancer came out from the Journal of the American Medical Association. It listed the three biggest ovarian cancer symptoms: abdominal distention, bloating, and urinary frequency. 43% of all women diagnosed with ovarian cancer have had these three symptoms for a prolonged period of time.
It sounds like you are having swelling in many areas of your body.
I don't know your age but have renal or cardiac problems been ruled out?
Best wishes to you. I hope you can get to the bottom of all this.

karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register