Vulvar biopsy/cancer concerns | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vulvar biopsy/cancer concerns Vulvar biopsy/cancer concerns

Unread 06-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Vulvar biopsy/cancer concerns

I had my LSH on June 1 for excessive bleeding (usually 3 weeks of the month) and horrific cramping. I had a relatively decent recovery except for a postop infection.

Last Friday I went to my terrific GYN and she said we need to do a vulvar biopsy or biopsies next Friday. I was a little taken aback and didn't ask much. I've been dealing with itching, redness, and some bleeding for many months. We've tried everything from yeast cultures, Diflucan, and ultimately high-potency steroid creams. No response.

I vaguely remember asking her about what the biopsy might show and I know she said potentially lichen sclerosis. I am going to call her tomorrow I guess as it is fairly clear that vulvar cancer is another possibility, particularly given the fact that I've had no response to the steroid cream over a long period of time.

I'm not sure what to think. I have two young children. I'm scared. I'm feeling so completely alone. I've told a couple people about this and I usually get something to the effect of I shouldn't worry until I get a diagnosis of cancer from the biopsy. Oh, if it were only so simple.

I don't know what I'm hoping to accomplish by posting. I'm totally unsure what to expect from the biopsy itself although I've read some helpful info on both vulvar cancer and vulvar biopsies here (thank you all for sharing so selflessly) as well as on other sites. The search feature on this site helps me over and over.

Thanks for listening, ladies. I'm not sure where else to turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2004, 06:53 PM

More ramblings. What's probably the most aggravating thing of this is that I find myself "embarrassed." How STUPID and ignorant is that! We can all talk about breast cancer, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer. Why is it that "VULVAR CANCER" is different.

Tomorrow I will need to let my boss know that I'll be out Friday for the biopsy. I've spent days trying to figure out what to say. STUPID. Ridiculous. Is it that vulvar sounds more sexual? More likely to evoke images of your body? I have no idea. It's making me mad.
Unread 06-14-2004, 07:39 PM

Hi, LSH Sister,

I'm so sorry to hear about this cancer possibility for you. I know you must be worried and upset. Hopefully, there will be no cancer and this is just a precaution. I have yet to hear from my dr. about path reports. He is on vacation until next Monday. How long was it before you heard from you dr.? I never really thought about having cancer myself. Is this a surprise for you, or was it already suspected?

--RamonaD in SC
4/5/04 left SO; 6/7/04 LSH, kept cervix and right ovary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2004, 07:42 PM

Hi Ramona,

This will be a different pathology report than that obtained from my LSH. I have to have an actual biopsy of the vulvar areas that are killing me/stinging/bleeding/itching (for months on end). I had symptoms. Don't worry - I had some warning there was something brewing beyond the issues behind my need for a hysterectomy.

Take care.
Unread 06-14-2004, 07:49 PM

It seems that when you mention vulva cancer everyone think it is dirty? WHY IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! believe me i have been thru 2 laser treatments for this same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!It is real and apparently some people just don't get it!!!!!!!!!It isn't fun it hurts my feelings when someone ask what did you have done and i tell them they are like OH i see!!!!!!!!!! Well excuse me i have been married to the same man for 24 years faithfully!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't understand either!!!!!!!! Please follow up with the doctor and make sure you get your results. I just had my biopsy last tuesday and go back next week. I have to have it biopsied every six months and so far have had to have the laser surgery both times. I did have cervical cancer and had a hysterectomy in jan of 2003!!!!!!!! Please don't feel ashamed it isn't worth it!!!!! cancer can and will appear anywhere and everywhere!!!!!!! best of luck to you !!!!!!!!! and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!!!!!!!i know how this feels i have been there!!!!!!!!! cindy
Unread 06-14-2004, 07:59 PM

Kate,
I am sorry to hear about this. My suggestion for your boss is to tell him/her nothing other than you have a medical appointment that you must attend. It's really none of his business what you are having done. I'd never tell someone outside my family and close friends about ANY biospy, anywhere. It's just none of their business.

Yes, vulvar is a little more private, and sexual, than an arm or tooth. That might be why woman are more hesitant to talk about it comfortably with just anyone. If you aren't comfortable talking about it, then don't.
Do whatever works best for you.

If your boss is a man, believe me, he won't want particulars. Most men couldn't tell you what a cervix or vulvar is, nor do they want to know!

Hugs and comfort,
Janie
Unread 06-14-2004, 08:01 PM

Hi, Kate. I want to thank you for posting. After I read your post, though, I did a google search on lichen sclerosis. I didn't read anywhere that L.S. is cancer. I appreciate that you're concerned because of the steroids not working. Of course, I don't know the details but I just think you might "keep your feet where your head is." From what I've read, LS is a condition that may need to be biopsied to be properly diagnosed. I think you have to take your doctor at face value and not jump all the way through to cancer. And as far as what you need to tell your boss about the biopsy on Friday, I don't think you need to say anything more than having a "biopsy" and you'll know more when the results are in.

Good luck to you, Kate. Let us know how Friday goes for you.
Unread 06-14-2004, 08:12 PM

hello Kate
I will pray for you that it isn't cancer and can be treated successfully. I have two small children my self and when I was told I have a brain tumor..wow they were the first thing to come to my mind along with the what ifs..so I know how you are feeling. I will pray for all of you
Unread 06-14-2004, 08:25 PM

Hi Kate,
I hope your biopsies go well on friday. I know how worried yiou are, but think Maureenie gave you some very good advice. Try not to think the worst, It seems very very unlikely this is cancer and you don't have to be specific with your boss. Hang in there
Unread 06-15-2004, 06:07 PM

(((Kate)))

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I just had a vulvar biopsy yesterday. It's somewhat uncomfortable but getting better quickly. My suggestion? Take Motrin beforehand (with your doc's permission). That'll take the edge off before they do the lidocaine injection. Also, get some cold packs--like you get at a sporting goods store. I'm using them every 2 hours and it really is helping. They do as well or better than the Motrin.

I hope your pathology comes back with something easily fixed--whatever it is. Your symptoms could very well correlate with lichen sclerosis. You're right, though, they could be cancer-related (more likely pre-cancer than cancer). Try not to panic (which I know is nearly impossible, but try anyway).

As far as it being embarrassing, well, it is difficult to talk about. When people ask me, I just say it's a female issue, and that seems to be enough to satisfy their curiosity. I'm sure men wouldn't want to run around saying that they had their penis biopsied either.

I'll be praying for you and sending you positive thoughts that all goes well. Please let us know how things go!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register