Trying to keep a sense of humor | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trying to keep a sense of humor Trying to keep a sense of humor

Unread 06-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Trying to keep a sense of humor

First of all, I hope no one is offended by my trying to find humor in my situation. Everybody handles stress/grief differently. I find that laughter helps me best. If that is not your style, I apologize. I do not mean to offend anyone.
Ever since my surgery has been scheduled, I keep thinking about a joke Roseanne told early in her career. She said that her husband was always asking her where things were. "As if I know where the remote is. Like the uterus is some kind of homing device!" A few nights ago I was feeling down. I told my husband that I was afraid that he wouldn't feel the same about me. I was afraid that he would resent having to wait so long to resume sex, that it would never be the same, and that I would just look like a frumpy old lady to him. He pulled our wedding picture down off the wall and said, "You look just like the girl in this picture to me--and you always will. Making love will be even better when you aren't in pain. Besides, we had to wait weeks after the birth of each of the kids. I just want you to feel well again". As tears welled up in my eyes he said, "I'm just afraid you'll never be able to find the remote again when they remove your homing device..." We both laughed so hard! He has always kidded me about my ability to pack the mini van for vacations. He says that I obviously have a knack for packing because I fit a 9lb 5oz baby (our son) in an organ the size of a pear. I hope I don't lose that talent after surgery!
I also remember another joke Roseanne told about how she wanted a riding vacuum cleaner. I hope one day to find one of those at the hystersister store! Maybe I could get one of those things the Cat in the Hat rode on to clean the house!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2004, 01:17 PM

Jan

Thanks for the Laugh.... We (women) are extroidinary, and will continue to be with or without our uterus'...
Unread 06-15-2004, 01:27 PM

Humor is the best medicine. I know this is going to sound strange but the doc I chose.....I chose because he makes me laugh. He is absolutely hilarious and so are his nurses who actually run the show. He just works for them is what he says.

I personally like the idea of a doctor that actually likes people. Lord knows I've had my share of MDieties.

I find my situation easier to deal with through laughter. I hope nobody gets offended by me either.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2004, 01:32 PM

You are in good company on this site, Jan.

Check out these two links for proof of the fact that we all can use a laugh from time to time to help us cope with the overwhelming changes going on in our lives!

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=147380

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=147844
Unread 06-15-2004, 02:08 PM

JanDBlake

I love it - keep the jokes coming! My DH would have the same thing about the homing device ! He's got a wicked sense of humor! As does our 5 yr old liitle boy....... I'm doomed !

Loekie
Unread 06-15-2004, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the laugh!

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think it's our uterus that makes us know things, it's our vagina! And that stays!!

Gee...I hope it does.... LOL
Unread 06-15-2004, 03:13 PM

If you really want to be empowered read The Vagina Monologues (sp?) I read the book and saw the play. With all that we suffer, it is good to be a woman!

Diana
Unread 06-15-2004, 03:14 PM

A big thank you to all of you. Ever since I was scheduled for surgery, it's practically all I think about. At first I was down on myself about that. Then I realized that I am about to have major surgery. Of COURSE that would be on my mind! I just love this forum so that I can talk to others who have either been through it or are going through it so that I don't have to feel alone. It has been a fairly emotional week in our house. We hosted an exchange student from Russia for the school year and she left today. Putting her on the plane was like sending one of my own kids off. We decided to not tell her that I was having surgery because it was hard enough for her to leave her "American Mom and Dad"--as she call us. So, our planning up until now has been like some kind of covert mission. Tonight's the night to let the others know why Mom is feeling bad and needs more help around the house. Coming to this board has provided some much needed humor. Thanks for not only for the info you provide, but the smiles, too.
Unread 06-15-2004, 08:27 PM

I've always felt that if you can't laugh, you might as well pack it in. Seriously, I don't know how to deal with pain and suffering without being able somehow to find a humorous side. You know that old story about the pessimist seeing nothing but a huge pile of manure, and the optimist saying "there must be a pony in there somewhere..." I've actually heard some people talk quite seriously about the effectiveness of using humor as a tool. These people scare me a bit - don't talk about laughing, just do it!

Years ago, when I was first diagnosed with endo & interstitial cystitis, I used to joke with my then BF that if we ever got married, our vows would have to include something about "in sickness and remission." I love Roseanne's line about the uterus being a locating device. I swear, male refrigerator blindness really exists! I don't know how my DH is ever going to find the butter again.

Cheers!

Leslie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register