CIN III - hysterectomy ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CIN III - hysterectomy ? CIN III - hysterectomy ?

Unread 06-16-2004, 03:54 AM
CIN III - hysterectomy ?

Following an ERPOC in March I was told that CIN III cells were found in the "scrappings" and that they were unsure as to the origin of them.

I had LLETZ in 1995 for CIN II, all my smear tests since then have been clear.

The suggested course of treatment was to do a biopsy - this has been done and no abnormal cells were found. The next option was a cold knife cone biopsy (unsure that this is the correct terminology) and then wait for the histology and if the abnormal cells have still not been found then to have a hysterectomy.

I have a very irregular cycle and since the ERPOC had almost constant spotting and am worried that something more sinister is occuring.

Therefore since our family is complete and I want to be sure that the cells are gone, I have opted for a hysterectomy straight away. It will cut out all the extra worry / hassle and I feel I will then be able to close that chapter and continue with my life. (I am 37)

The operation is scheduled for 12/07/04 and I have great faith in the doctor.

People look horrified when I explain what I am doing - should I be more emotionally attached to my uterus ?

Am I being a bit over the top with my all or nothing theory on life ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 09:32 AM
CIN III - hysterectomy ?

Frizzle,
I don't think you are over the top. Cancer is scary and it's natural to want to do everything possible to prevent it. Having a hysterectomy , especially if you have your ovaries removed, will bring a new set of health concerns, and symptom, because of the instant menopause. For some women these are severe and for other women relativelty easy. Have you discussed with your Dr, whether he recommends ERT, which also increases the risk of some types of cancer? Don't make a quick decsion based on fear, but get all the information you can. You may also find suppoet and info in our Options and alternatives Forum and in our Resource section.
Unread 06-17-2004, 07:01 AM
CIN III - hysterectomy ?

I had my hysterectomy for similar reasons, recurrant CIN III/CIS. I'm 37 and had 2 children (both teens now) and have no desire to have more children, and zero emotional attachment to my cervix, other than fear of more disease and scariness.

My doctor gave me the choice of a cone biopsy, with a potential hysterectomy to follow, or have a hysterectomy straight away.

Do what feels best for you and your situation. It was absolutely the right thing for me to do, I have no regrets.

Hugs,

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2004, 10:03 PM
CIN III - hysterectomy ?

I'm 42 and finished having kids. I had recurrent low to high grade dysplasia for 6 years and jumped at the chance to have a hyst and get the fear out of my life. (Well, almost because I'll still need pap smears and still have ovaries.) I no longer fear cervical cancer and as side benefits I no longer have to think about endometrial cancer, endometriosis, fibroids, debilitating periods and other worrisome perimenopausal period changes.

It's totally reasonable to feel that your uterus/cervix has served its purpose and now you just don't want the worry anymore.
Unread 06-30-2004, 06:47 PM
CIN III - hysterectomy ?

I am in a similar situation ... one laser and two cones ... CIN III twice in one year, even after a LEEP. I also tested positive for the high risk strain of HPV. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy Aug. 17. Yet, I could continue to have conizations, in order to keep my cervix. I am worried about sex. Does not having a cervix and uterus make a big difference in orgasms?
Unread 07-01-2004, 12:04 PM
CIN III - hysterectomy ?

I just re-read my last reply and realized I didn't respond to your questions. It sounds like we are in a similar situation, and I don't think you are over-reacting at all. Who cares what those others think? I guess if the lack of worry about cervical cancer improves your life, that's all you really need to focus on.

I also wonder if I am acting too quickly ... but I do, in a way, feel doomed. I've had three surgeries on my cervix, and the hysterectomy is to prevent another recurrence. In my case, the abnormal cells were NOT slow growing. I've had CIN III twice in a year, even after a LEEP. I think we owe it to ourselves and our loved ones to be around in the coming years, uterus or no uterus. Still, it's complicated.

I understand how you feel.

Lanie
Unread 07-03-2004, 04:46 PM
It's the right thing to do

I am now more positive about what I am doing - I am doing it for myself more than anything else and not for everyone around me. I want to be here for my children as they grow up, I want to stop having little bits chopped off my cervix, I want to stop worrying about any blood spots on my panties,
I want to stop worrying.
I know surgery will not be easy but I am generally fit and well, I have wonderful family and friends around to support me.
I will retain my ovaries as at 37 I feel I am too young to be menopausal just yet.
I am going to think of the positive things - and plan what to do with all the money I will save on Tampax,panty liners and pads !
I just hope that histology finds the source of the CIN, my doctor is still baffled by the location / source of the cells - I like to be diificult !
To anyone else out there undergoing surgery soon good luck and I'll look out for you on the post-op pages.
Thank you all for your comments, :
: :
Unread 07-03-2004, 05:09 PM
CIN III - hysterectomy ?

Everybody's different but............

My hyst didn't fit at all with my personal timeline, it would have been so much easier if my kids had been older (3.5 and 16 months) and I really couldn't afford the time off work just now. Having said that, I didn't find it particularly hard. I had a TVH 6 weeks ago and as far as recovery the only thing my body "told" me was I needed to have a little rest time off my feet in the afternoons.

Fatigue? Well, I always feel tired. Pain? Didn't have any worth talking about except a few awful hours while my guts were straightening themselves out. Restrictions? The doctor told me of them but not my body. (That's the dangerous part, feeling too good.)

You might have an awful recovery, you might sail through like me. Hope you sail through.

All the best. Glad you are comfortable with your decision.
Unread 07-03-2004, 05:46 PM
CIN III - hysterectomy ?

Hi Frizzle

Similar situation, I had TVT BSO + TVT last Mar, 03 - no regrets, all the pain has gone, no more visits to hospital for CIN treatments, no more worries about endo, cancer of the cervix - still sorting my hormones out but I know I'll get there eventually.

You have to do whats right for you. I too detached myself from my bits and bobs - chose to get on with my life not to spend it going backwards and forwards to DRs and hospitals, waiting for the next letter to arrive from the DR or Consultant, having more examinations, tests, investigations, treatment, waiting for weeks and months for results, going back for more etc etc - once I'd finally made the decision to just get rid I felt like a huge weight had been lifted.

I had a brilliant consultant who involved me throughout all of the decision making - ie I chose which proceedure and had my choice of general or spinal block - I chose spinal block (bit like epidural only dosnt last as long) and chose to have vaginal hyst removing cervix, womb, tubes, ovaries and a cyst. I made a quick recovery and have no scares - you wouldnt know I'd had major surgery.

And as for BakerGal's questions - I havnt noticed any difference with my sex life apart from my libido not quite being what it used to be (but I'm putting that down to other issues aswell). Orgasms are just as strong I to have HPV - the only advice I would give is that although I had my cervix removed and have been told that I do not have to have smears I can still have examinations every 3 years to give me peace of mind that the HPV has not spread anywhere else.

Good luck, hope all goes well

Luv Bluebell

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register