new,and terrified | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new,and terrified new,and terrified

Unread 06-16-2004, 09:37 AM
new,and terrified

hi i am new here and just found out i have cysts on my r ovary. Have been so sick this past couple weeks with an ulcer also and cannot eat and cannot stop crying....I go in for a hysterectomy next Tuesday the 22 of June and I am so scared i have cancer. I have had on and of normal and abnormal paps for years does that mean i probably have it? any advice? thanks newbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 09:45 AM
new,and terrified

Hello,
Think positive........I have had several abnormal paps and 4 different procedures. I had a friend with a cyst on her ovary and she is cancer free. Just because you have a cyst doesnt mean you have cancer so try not to worry. I hope this helps.........Keep us posted

MichelleLee
Unread 06-16-2004, 09:52 AM
thanks

yes that does help thank you....i am just so weak from not eating and my mind is so active with worry for my kids. ...just the abnormal pap tests i have had worry me thank you for your help i will keep you posted ~ colleen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 10:01 AM
new,and terrified

7Sunshine,

From what I have read the chance of cervical cancer is approx. 3-5%. It is very low. I am not sure about ovarian cancer.

Also, it sounds like you are having a TAH. So...your cervix and ovaries will be bye-bye really soon!!

Also, maybe you can ask your mom, sisters and grandmas...did any of them have ovarian or cervical cancer?? That helped to relieve my fears!!

Good luck with your surgery. You will be a post-op princess really soon!!!
Unread 06-16-2004, 10:23 AM
new,and terrified

I had what was called a Functional Ovarian Cyst which was non-cancerous. I had also had several abnormal pap smears. I had a LAVH on May 25 and I don't have cancer.

Stay positive.

As for eating...try things that go down easily and won't irritate the ulcer. Ice cream, soups, nutrition drinks like Ensure or Boost, and other bland stuff. You will need to make sure you are strong enough for the surgery!

Wishing you lots of luck.

Colleen
5-25-04 LAVH- One Ovary Left!
Unread 06-16-2004, 11:17 AM
new,and terrified

thank you so much for letting me know your situation, i thought for sure a abnormal pap was a huge sign that cancer was there somewhere. I am going to get some ensure today and see if that helps me regain some of my strength. If you dont mind can i ask your age? i am 38 thanks again colleen
Unread 06-16-2004, 12:31 PM
new,and terrified

Colleen-

I'm 28. The first time I had an abnormal pap, I was scared but my doctor really helped me out by telling me that an abnormal paps were actually quite common. An abnormal pap can be caused by many things including infection and douching before a pap test.

BTW- Nice name!

Colleen
LAVH on May 25, 2004
One Ovary Left
Unread 06-16-2004, 12:43 PM
new,and terrified

I don't want this to come accross as brushing off your very vallid fears.

I'm a cyst maker. Kinda like my own personal popcorn popper. When I lost my right ovary it was due to 16 cysts 8 ruptered 8 holding and the sheer volume had torsioned the ovary and it had died inside me several days earlier. NO CANCER

My forst cyst was the size of a golf ball on my right ovary when I was 16. My last lap/D&C the aspirated 15 cysts off my ramaining ovary. 2 laps to have large ones removed. I can say for certain they weren't too concerned over the cysts...being cysts and not tumors or abcesses (sp?) ....being cancer. I have no idea how many total I've had in the last 14 years since the first one. Several ruptures I would just tough it out and not seek a doc.

They hurt like crazy and are very scary but they are also pretty low risk for cancer....My mom did have ovarian cancer/uterine cancer at 22 to boot and I have never been thought overly high risk for cancer.

Think good thoughts move slow and get to the other side =)

Amy
Unread 06-16-2004, 12:48 PM
new,and terrified

I also had a very large cyst. Did you have a CA-125 blood test? It is not 100 % accurate, but does give some indication if cancer is present. My doctor informed me the size of a cyst doesn't matter if there is cancer or not. My turned out to be benign. I'm 44 years of age. I also had to have both fallopian tubes removed. One fallopian tube was very large (inflamed).

Try not to worry everything will be just fine. When you go into surgery calm and relax statistics show you have a quicker recovery.

Good Luck To You!

Debbie
Unread 06-16-2004, 01:01 PM
new,and terrified

Hey, Colleen!

I'm 54 and I've had abnormal pap smears and various procedures for it since 1979. I did finally end up having a TAH BSO for endiometrial cancer in 2002, but that's all the treatment I needed, and it took me 22 years to get to THAT point. Now I'm having abnormal pap smears even without my cervix, and I'm going in for laser surgery on 7/1/04. Hopefully that will take care of whatever is going on in my vagina now for another 20+ years!

I don't know which I was more frightened of in 2002 - the cancer, or the surgery - I was terrified of both! Well, the surgery turned out to be much easier than I had anticipated, and that was the only treatment I needed, so I wasted all the time and effort worrying for nothing! I've decided not to do that this time for the laser surgery - just finding out as much as I can so I'll know what to anticipate, and then looking forward to being pampered for a few days!

Take care and try to relax ....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register