ladies, ladies, ladies | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ladies, ladies, ladies ladies, ladies, ladies

Unread 06-16-2004, 09:53 AM
ladies, ladies, ladies

I have never posted on this wonderful site but I felt compelled to after reading about so many sisters being disappointed that the recovery wasn't as quick as they orginally thought. I have a wonderful dr who explained everything. When I went into surgery I knew about the embarassing questions to come about "passing gas", about the back ache from the spinal, what type of pain to expect, etc. What I found most interesting and wanted to share with all of you was at my 6 week check-up. My doctor said that I had not healed completely and to wait another two weeks before sex was okay. I asked when I could start exercising and she said other than walking, I should wait 9 months to a year. The reason for this is after a major surgery as we all have gone through our inside is only 20% healed after 6 weeks and about 50% at 6 months. Sooooo, putting this into perspective we need to be patient with ourselves and listen when our body tells us to stop and sit down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 10:21 AM
ladies, ladies, ladies

This is one I have been trying to get my husband to understand. He was with me when my gyn said " 6 weeks you'll be fine". So the fact that i am still having aches and pains makes DH keep telling me to call the doc.
But I felt need to post just to back you up here..
Unrelated to female issues, I had surgery a few years back, and that doctor (wonderful bedside manner) told me that no matter what kind of surgery you have, the body takes a full year (give or take) to completely repair itself. He said you could feel effects for that long, whether it be aches and pains, or swelling now and again. I was told a person who's had any type of surgery should take it easy on the parts affected for at least 6 months. So it makes sense to USE our tummy muscles, but not ABUSE them.
A side note here: I had a TAH, and reading my surgery report.. they closed my incision in 4 layers. Thats 4 rows of stitches under there. That doesn't include the cuff,and other internal stitches.
So yes.. lets NOT get discouraged
Unread 06-16-2004, 10:37 AM
ladies, ladies, ladies

I was so happy to read your post. I'm almost 8 wks. post-op and have felt great up till about 3 days ago. I've been back to the usual running the kids places and taking care of business. Suddenly, I'm achy and feel like I did a month ago. I called doc who had me come in for an ultrasound yesterday to rule-out hematomas. Ultrasound showed nothing (weird not to see what I USED to see ie: uterus, fibroids etc.). Anyway - I guess my body is just telling me to slow down and give myself a break.

I'm on 1.25 of Premarin - I'm also wondering if some of this could be hormonal. Have occasional bouts of sadness, hot flashes sometimes, but not like B4 surgery. Also have had leg cramps mostly at night - they even wake me up. Also, little or no interest in sex (much to the disappointment of my DH). Any ideas??

Thanks,

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 11:01 AM
ladies, ladies, ladies

My ovaries were salvaged, so am taking no hormones. Come this Saturday, will be 9 weeks postop. I, too, feel like I did a month ago! Have been back to work for 2 weeks now. This last week, felt like my old self....a ball of fire. I sit here now, kinda achy, rundown and sad . This shall pass!! I assume this is just a way our bodies pull in the reigns a bit to remind us all is not healed, yet. Hope you're feeling better soon!!!!!
Unread 06-16-2004, 11:59 AM
see saw

I feel like I am on a see saw. It has only been 2 weeks since my TVH and I am sitting here waiting to leave for my first checkup but to me I either feel almost like my old self and rearing to go or just really bad. There are no in betweens. I think this is why it is so important to really slow down and listen to our bodies and take the clue from there not our Dr's, Husbands, Co-workers or other sisters for that matter even though I love you guys we are all so different and all heal differently, we all have different jobs, families, support, ect......I know if I am feeling bad I just slow down and take it easy that next day and it really helps.

Hope you all are having a blessed day!
Karen
Unread 06-16-2004, 12:09 PM
ladies, ladies, ladies

I had a spinal fuse in my neck in December 2001 and it was a full year before I was up to the same level of health and strength I was before the surgery. My primary care doctor had made some flippant remark that one of his techs had the same surgery and was back lifting patients and doing his normal job at 2 weeks post-op. (Well, heck, I had a neck brace and stern no-lifting instructions MUCH longer than that!) I let him make me feel bad about it and kept trying to do too much as a result, which probably set me back longer. Lesson learned. The people who think I should have been back to normal (one thought I'd be well again in 3-4 DAYS!) are wrong and my body is right.

TVH 4/18 Estrace, no other HRT
Unread 06-16-2004, 12:41 PM
ladies, ladies, ladies

Very good points are made in this thread!

I'm just sort of taking things one day at a time. The first maybe three weeks after surgery, I was feeling great! I'm 5 weeks post-op now, and I still great, but find from time to time I feel "not-so-great" -- as in fatigue, especially. I find I really have to take some sort of rest, if not a nap, every day. I sleep like a log at night, too! it's almost like I have less energy now than I did then, but only on certain days . . . go figure!

My husband and I decided right after my surgery that we would both take the attitude that "anything goes." As long as my doctor says I'm healing well, I'm not going to be alarmed at anything peculiar like a mood swing, feeling sad, tired, headachy, etc. I'm just taking it all as a matter of course. I just had major surgery 5 weeks ago! And I just keep telling myself that, so as not to let any one particular oddity get me upset or worried. (BTW, my doctor did tell me I'm heaing great, and to "keep up the good work" !)

For those of you who kept your ovaries, like I did, my doctor also said sometimes ovaries can be traumatized by surgery. They sort of go "into shock," and may not produce at their usual levels for a couple of months. I think that's true with me; one day my skin will feel very oily, and three days later it's dry! For a few days I felt like I had PMS, which I can understand, but then that went away, too. But like I said, I'm just not going to worry about it until my doctor tells me to.

We're all different, and we all heal differently, too! But that's just how I'm approaching all this. It was routine, but major surgery all the same. I feel like it's going to take a while before I, personally, become 100% again, but until that time, I'll just keep on taking care of myself.

Take care, everybody!

Lisa
Unread 06-16-2004, 04:02 PM
ladies, ladies, ladies

I wish we could post this thread on a "must read" list. I have been struck by how much we expect of our bodies such a short time after surgery. I think as women we are so used to doing it all and pushing ourselves that we just don't "get" recovery. What makes it worse is that some of our sisters simply don't have enough help/support to allow themselves to recover well.
I have to remind myself several times A DAY that I am only 4 weeks post op and just can't save the world at this point. So thank you for the post Angelshelp and let's try to get the word out. IT TAKES TIME.
Unread 06-16-2004, 06:22 PM
ladies, ladies, ladies

Amen, Melissa! And Angelshelp, too. I just can't say it enough -- it's a routine surgery, but it's MAJOR surgery all the same! We've put our poor little bodies through a lot in a short amount of time. And it's going to take a lot to get them back to 100%.

Personally, before my surgery, I was too much of a "neat freak" around the house. I dusted and vacuumed every day -- a two-story house, at that. Believe me, that got old, but I'll admit, I was kind of obsessed with it.

After my surgery, I learned in a hurry that you just plain don't have to do this stuff every day. What was I thinking??

My husband vacuums now, probably every other day. I dust, maybe every other day. If that. And you know what's embarrassing to admit? The house is just as clean as it always was, and it hasn't fallen down or become a shambles.

Meanwhile, I'm recuperating and getting well again! That's the most important thing, more important than any clean house.

And ALL of you are much more important than clean houses, or any kind of strenuous activity that might seem tempting at the time.

It DOES take time!

Lisa
Unread 06-16-2004, 06:44 PM
ladies, ladies, ladies

In a way, it's like you've doubled your available time, isn't it?

Um, since you have all this free time, I've got this house that never really GETS dusted because I never get that far...

;-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register