Will I be able to take care of myself post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I be able to take care of myself post-op? Will I be able to take care of myself post-op?

Unread 11-23-2000, 10:51 AM
Will I be able to take care of myself post-op?

I'm going in for TAH in January. My biggest concern right now is how much help I'll need taking care of myself after surgery. I live alone. My boyfriend lives an hour away and his job requires him to travel several days a week, so he can't be much help even though he wants to be. My parents live close by and they've offered to come over as much as I need them to, and there's a few close friends who can stop by occasionally. I know they'll be a great help with meals, housework, etc. but I'm still concerned about being completely alone for the most part. Is there anyone else who's been through that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2000, 11:04 AM

El - It's good to have someone with you during the first week as much as possible. It's good that your parents live close by. Before surgery try to arrange your home so items you use or will need, to levels you won't have to reach or bend to get them. Stock up on some easy fix microwave meals..like individual ravoli, chicken and rice, mac. and cheese etc. Also, individual pudding, jello, juices etc are great. When friends come over maybe they could bring you something to eat too...all of this will help out.

Keep a piece of paper in kitchen so you can write down when you take your meds...brain fog is VERY common after surgery...plus pain meds cloud your mind too...writing down when you take them helps keep everything on schedule.

It's a good idea to make sure someone is in your home with you when you take showers during the first couple of weeks too....just to be cautious. My dh had to turn on water etc. in shower (couldn't bend over)...and of course I dropped the soap right off the bat and he had to pick that up Need to be careful getting in and out of your shower etc.

The second week my two boys (age 9 & 12) were on spring break so they did the laundry and got me things I needed...but were at their friends house down the street a lot too.
Unread 11-23-2000, 11:07 AM

El - I had a sub TAH 3 weeks ago and I live with my sister. I wasn't sure if I would need her to stay home with me but I found after a couple of days in the hospital that I was walking around with out any problems. Once I got home I found that I could easily navigate the stairs (we have a 3 floor townhouse and my bedroom is on the 3rd floor!) with no pain - I just took it slowly. Because I was sprung from hospital on saturday afternoon, we had that day and sunday to see how I was making my way around before we decided she didn't need to stay home. If you can plan for some help for a day or so out of hospital in case you need it and then see how you are doing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2000, 01:31 PM

el,
Although I don't live alone I was without someone home with me for the first few days out of the hospital. I made sure to rent a few movies to watch and had what I called my feeding station in place. My feeding station consisted of a kettle, instant soups, hot chocolates, pastas, etc that I could have without having to go down to the kitchen for food. I also had some drinking boxes of juice, puddings and fruitcups. Even some of those little packs of instant oatmeal (for the fiber). By having everything close at hand I was able to survive on my own.
I did have a few friends who offered to drop by but the logistics of getting down the 2 flights of stairs to open the door was impossible. I gave my mom a spare key and asked those who said they might drop by for a visit to call ahead so I could be prepared to answer the door.(or not)
Having your folks nearby should be a big help to you and you should definately take advantage but make sure to sleep when your body says it has had enough visiting. All too often we try to entertain our "home nurses" and defeat the purpose of having help.

I hope your recovery time is positive.
Unread 11-25-2000, 02:24 PM

Thank you, ladies, for the advice and encouragment. I think I'll plan on having someone stay with me the first night and then see how it goes. It sounds like it won't be all that bad going it alone if I prepare for it.

This board has been so educational and reassuring, since I first got the news in February through all my pre-decision jitters and now my pre-op jitters. I'm glad you're all here!
Unread 11-25-2000, 10:08 PM
DON'T WORRY

Hi

I had a complete hysterectomy (everything out) on October 2. My husband took the first week off work to be with me. I dreaded this but to my surprise it wasn't as bad as I expected. I mean I was sore but was pretty mobile and was able to get light meals to eat. Stock up on easy prepare food or freeze some ahead, make sure you don't have to reach, lift or bend for things and see how it goes.

I'm sure you will be just fine. I was so frightened and wondered if I would still be me...you know I mean feel the same inside! Well I do only now I feel better each day and no more periods! Yippie!! I bled for 3 months prior to my surgery!!

God Bless! :-)
Unread 11-25-2000, 10:30 PM

There's not much I can add, as you have already gotten some good advice and ideas from other

As for me, my dh did take off for the first week, and I really was okay without him after that. He is still doing everything as far as housework and stuff, and we have had meals brought to us by people in our church, that has been a tremdous help. Before I had my surgery I stocked up on stuff I would need such as juices and easy to cook stuff, that even dh could do, and breakfast stuff for the kids that they could do for themselves, like waffles, toaster strudles, sausage and biscuits.

Hope this helps, and I hope all goes well for you. {{hugs}}
Unread 11-26-2000, 12:37 AM
I must be an oddball.I couldnt barely move.

I am so glad my hubby was there for me for the first 2 weeks.Sure he went to work and then I was alone.But,I did at times have to get up to go potty or to go get a drink,or snack.I had a really hard time standing and walking for atleast 10-15 days after.Everyone is diff,but I always have someone take care of me after ops.Everyone in my family says how strong Im,but Isure dont feel like that at the time.Take it slow,youll be okay..hugs ~Sunny~
Unread 11-26-2000, 07:49 AM
Taking care of you by yourself

Yes, I can relate (in a way). I am 27 and live alone with my furry child (Welsh Corgi) BJ. He of course is not much help when it comes to picking things off the floor, etc., but is great for emotional support.

My mom stayed with me for the first week after my surgery, but looking back, I COULD have done it myself. You just have to be really careful. Do things very slowly, and baby yourself. As long as you stay away from steps, bending over, etc. you should be fine.

You will be surprised that your body will learn to compensate for the very tender tummy muscles. You'll use your elbows a lot, and your back, leg and butt muscles instead of your stomach muscles. Basically, what I've found is that most everything (with the exeption of the big no-no's such as vacuuming, swimming, etc....) can be done if you are patient and listen to your body....if it hurts, don't do it. If your doctor told you not to, don't....

But all in all, yes, you'll be fine. If you'd like to ask me specific questions that will arise in your mind, please feel free to e-mail me directly at [email protected]

Try not to freak out...just pamper yourself before your surgery and try to enjoy the holidays...God bless you!
Sarah
Unread 11-26-2000, 08:34 AM

I'm realizing that I have a hew advantages over many of the ladies here: I already live off frozen foods (too much trouble to cook for one) and I'm an intermittent housekeeper at best. I have a horse who boards a few miles from me, and I spend 6 nights a week with him, so I usually run out of time for housekeeping. I think I'll feel a lot less guilty than most women laying around after surgery. But on the other hand, I tend to be too independent and don't like to ask for help. I'll have to work on that.

Does the amount of time you spend in the hospital make a difference in how mobile you are those first few days back? My doctor thinks I'll be in 2-3 days. That seems short to me. But on the other hand, because I'm fairly fit she thinks the recovery will be quicker than average. I'm counting on that! I've never had surgery before so I really don't know what to expect.

Thanks for the all advice. I'm feeling much better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register