Alittle bit of venting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Posts from the Heart > Aching Hearts

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Alittle bit of venting Alittle bit of venting

Unread 06-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Alittle bit of venting

This is alittle embarrassing but I am feeling so upset that I just have to get it out. I had a TVH on June 4 of this year. I was starting to feel alittle better toward the end of last week when I started running a high fever. I went to the Dr. and turns out I just have a very bad sinus infection. I was crying at the Dr. believe it or not. That makes me feel so stupid. I am just so frustrated and so tired of being sick and feeling tired and in pain. My husband has had to take on all my duties at home and with the kids since I have been home from the hospital. This morning, I felt alittle better and thought well, I'll make my hubbie a cake to say thank you. Before I could even get the recipe out here comes that wonderful pain and fever back just to knock me back down again. I don't know if I am making any sense or not. I just feel so angry because I feel like my body is my enemy at this point,. I was in pain for such a long time before the surgery and after the surgery there was also alot of pain. And now, with this infection, I just feel like it's the final straw and I can't take it anymore!!! I'm sorry, I don't usually feel quite so sorry for myself. I guess I just needed to vent alittle.
Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Alittle bit of venting

Hi Tammy,
sounds like you need a

We all have our limits and you have had a lot to deal with. I can really understand that this latest problem just feels like the very last straw.

Why not give yourself "permission" to feel badly for a bit of time? With all the trauma you went through before surgery and then during your recovery, it is very possible that you never took time out to simply acknowledge everything that was hurting you at an emotional level - you were so focussed on the physical stuff.

and now, when your body is over the "big stuff" the smaller problem still seems pretty big, because it is just one more thing that makes you feel out of control.

I find that if I give myself a "time" in which to have a big cry or a rage, or to sit and write out all my feelings, I often feel better. the important thing for me, is to bring the feelings to the surface rather than keep pushing them down.... once they are up and out I can deal with them.
Maybe that will help you?

I hope that your sinus infection clears up soon, and that you feel a lot better,
Unread 06-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Alittle bit of venting

Thank you so much for your kind reply. You are right with everything you said. I especially liked the part about writing things down. I use to do that when I was younger and perhaps it's time to start doing that again. Thanks for listening and understanding. I guess I also need to put things into perspective. It could be much worse then it is. I am a lucky person to have family and friends. Thanks again for the reply
tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Alittle bit of venting

((((((((((((((Tammy))))))))))))))))))
Big hug for you! Your body is telling you it needs to rest. Your body has been through a major surgery! Your immune system may be down causing the sinus infection. I am sorry that you are having a stinky day. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Unread 06-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Alittle bit of venting

Since your surgery was only two weeks ago, you're not quite ready for cake-baking just yet! A bit much in the lifting, bending and twisting department, you know? It's also hard to keep your immune system up when you're so newly post-op.

I get terrible sinus infections. A couple of pieces of advice: it may take more than one course of antibiotics to knock it down. The blood supply there isn't all that great, and it's hard for oral antibiotics to get in there and do their job. Also, hot moist packs on my face and nose do a wonderful job of helping mobilize and drain my sinuses -- and help with the pain, too.

My doctor had me do a sinus "lavage" with a neti pot-like device. At first, it's pretty gross, and not a lot of fun . But it sure helps drain the nasty stuff that's living in there!

In short, it's time -- time to rest, heal, and take care of YOU!

Audrey
Unread 06-18-2004, 09:04 PM
more venting

Tammy, I've always felt hugs are the best medicine of all....here's to your recovery from the surgery AND the sinus problems.

I had a TAH/BSO on June 7, and can empathize with your feelings. My doc started "selling" the idea of hysterectomy to me 15 years ago. I had an endometrial ablation then instead, and was very happy with the results until recently when my periods becaem very heavy again. I had an endometrial biopsy which revealed glandular hyperplasia with atypia. After some research, I came to terms with the necessity of hyst.

I've never been seriously ill in my lifetime. I've always bounced back very quickly from any health problem. I hoped this surgery wouldn't keep me down very long.

I understand feeling that your body is your enemy. I am beginning to feel betrayed by my own. I am mourning the loss of my uterus and ovaries...I can't believe they're gone after fighting for so many years to keep them. At the same time I'm angry at them for being the cause of my current discomfort and fatigue.

I find myself in tears several times a day for no apparent reason. I fought them at first, but a dear friend advised me to permit myself the luxury of the tears...it's one way to vent anger, sadness, rage, helplessness, etc.

My doc has prescribed HRT, but advised me to "wait for the beginning of hot flashes" before I begin taking the pills. I did more research today and have concluded that my tears could be the beginning of a menopausal depression. I'm planning to call my doc and discuss beginning HRT now instead of waiting another day.

I haven't reached the two week post op mark yet, and I'm already sick of feeling tired, bloated, sore, helpless, housebound. This just isn't ME, you know? I'm divorced, which means I've become very independent and strong, able to care for myself quite well. I hate being a "patient", but I'm telling myself that taking it easy NOW will make me healthier in the long run. I sure hope I'm right.

Meanwhile, I'm so glad to have found this site.

Thanks for letting ME vent!

Deb N.
Unread 06-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Alittle bit of venting

Trying this again. This is not medical advice. This is just something I do that helps ME and my family and friends. A doctor taught it to me because weeks on antibiotics weren't helping me and I couldn't breathe at night for the sinus infection that chronically raged in my sinuses, and I couldn't tolerate a lot of the meds (I have a heart rhythm problem.)

Really it's as simple and non-medical as washing your face, you're just washing inside where tissues are inflamed and infected and full of mucuous, instead of outside.

I mix a half cup of warm water with enough table salt that it tastes about as salty as tears. Too much or too little will hurt --"just right" won't. I find that covering the bottom of a measuring cup with about enough salt to mostly cover it in all one layer works about right.

I lean over a sink so that my face is horizontal and sink my nose into that half cup of warm salt water. Then draw it into my nose like drinking through a straw, to fill my sinuses with the saline. If very plugged up it may take a few tries to really get anything in there. Then I blow it back out into the sink. I could let it out through my mouth instead, but I don't like to. That's how the doctor who taught this to me did it, however. It may depend on anatomy.

After four or five times doing this, tops, I'm clear and able to rest. I can do it every couple of hours. It's soothing and non-irritating. It works better than any drug on the market, costs next to nothing, and once I learned how it gets me through sinus infections and colds better than any other tactic. Those saline sprays they sell just don't get enough in there to really RINSE out the sinuses.

Even my 6-year-old can do this. I did have to overcome the fear that I'd get it in my lungs, but if I have my face horizontal it doesn't. The one time I did it and it HURT, the water was too salty. Not a mistake I'd care to repeat. Too little salt is also irritating, as you'd imagine if you ever got pool water up your nose.

Some people won't try it till they're absolutely desperate and nothing else has helped, but those who do are as grateful as I am that I learned how. It does work. It also helps get rid of the bacteria colonies that are the cause of all your woes, so it isn't merely symptomatic relief.

I was offered surgery for my sinuses. How glad I am that I learned about this instead, instead of taking them up on having my head cut on--yuck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register