Ca 125 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-16-2004, 04:50 PM
Ca 125

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and this is my first time posting. I will be having my hysterectomy on June 29. About 3 weeks ago I took a CA 125 blood test and my level was 36.9 I was told that anything above 35 either means cancer or edomet. Has anyone had this test if so what were your results. Any info on this would be great. I meet finally with my Dr. this thursday the nurse said not worry they have seen higher levels and I also had to have a Cat scan which all I heard from that was it is ok.

Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Ca 125

"Normal" for a ca-125 is anything under 35 - however, many things besides cancer can cause a ca-125 to rise, and especially so in premenopausal women.

It sounds like your doc is being careful. Why are you having the hyst to begin with?

Dorrie
Unread 06-16-2004, 06:42 PM
why am I having a hysterectomy

Hi,

I am having the hysterectomy because I have a grapefruit size tumor on left ovarie and a cyst 7cm on right ovarie. After they found the cyst is when I had the CA 125 and then I had a cat scan on my stomach as well. I meet with Dr. Thursday to discuss all of this. Just thought someone else may have had the test and what their results were.

rdj40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 07:59 PM
CSA125 and CT

Normal is 35 and under as Dorrie said--but a cold, infection, or endometriosis can make it rise. I would not be worried at essentially 37. The CT scan is a good test. It can show more about those cysts and also if there is anything else suspicious throughout the pelvix and abdomen.

CA125 is best used as an indicator after surgery and during treatment for actual cancer to see how a person is responding to treatment. Even then it's not perfect--I have a friend who recurred with a CA125 of a fantastic 4 and she was at 6 when they excised a mass from her. It's not perfect.

Mine was 162 when I had my surgery. My indicator is extremely sensitive and now, with a 2.6 centimeter lesion on the peritoneum, it's up to 160.

My non-professional advice: relax. Go to pre-op and post-op and get the good woman-to-woman advice.
Unread 06-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Ca 125

Hi!

In general, they really won't know much until they go in and see what they're dealing with. It's hard not to speculate before surgery, but the reality is, until a pathology is performed, they can't possibly know.

My CA125 was 161 before surgery, and I had Stage 3C cancer. I met a girl who was two years younger than me at the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance Conference, and she said her CA125 was 8 when she was also found to have Stage 3C cancer. CA125 wasn't a marker for her. I think it's a marker for more people than not, but one never knows.

Your CA125 is still very low, and like Dorrie said, it can rise for a variety of reasons. If they find ascites in your abdomen (or fluid), then that is often a sign of a cancerous condition. But your doctor will be able to tell you what he thinks the CT scan says when you meet with him or her Thursday. Still, even though my CT scan showed ascites and a tumor, my doctors were careful to say that though they were pretty sure what it was, there was really no full way to know until they opened me up.

Let us know what your doctor says, and try to keep smiling! The good news is, they found the problem and can now deal with it. I honestly hope it's nothing serious. :-)

s!
Unread 06-16-2004, 08:06 PM
Ca 125

My doctor said he'd never seen anyone with cancer have a CA125 under 100. He said lots of things can cause the number to go up slightly, ovulating, menopause, any kind of virus or infection. Ovarian cancer generally causes much higher numbers. One woman in my group had ovarian cancer and her number was 12,000, another was 1,600. Your number is so close to normal, chances are it means nothing.

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 06-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Hiya

Sorry Jane but i totally disagree with your dr. My CA125 was 35 and i had ovca stage 1a grade 1. rdy40 as everyone has said other problems can cause it to be slightly elevated. Its great news that your CT scan is normal and i think you should concentrate on that result as CA125 tests vary so much from person to person. Best of luck with the rest of your tests and hyst.

take care
Sheila

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register