Help!! What can I eat? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!! What can I eat? Help!! What can I eat?

Unread 06-17-2004, 12:20 AM
Help!! What can I eat?

As if the hyster. and repair/adhesions were not enough and the antibiotic overload, now this............
I had my (medical) Glucose Tolerance Test yesterday - no results yet, BUT, my naturopath (saw him after I'd done the test at the path. lab) tells me from his examination yesterday and my history that I am lactose intolerant. So no milk, no cheese, only butter or natural yoghurt. I am also still fighting the systemic yeast thing so no breads, no sugars, only honey. What can I eat? What can I drink? (as in tea, coffee, shakes, juices, etc.) My heart is so heavy today I've done nothing but cry.........OMG I wish this would all end. If I died, it would make things a whole lot simpler for everyone! I had milk on breakfast and am I suffering!- I phoned N/P and he said take a couple of garlic capsules and wait for the effects of the milk to wear off!
Does anyone know if soy milk is OK on the above restrictions. And what sort of bread, crackers, etc. are OK. What about popcorn for snacks.
If it's not one thing it's another. He said I should not eat "low fat" things because I need to build my immune system.
Other than meat & veg. what else is there..............
Will the food that diabetics eat be OK for me.
Someone please help - I am distraught.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Help!! What can I eat?

I don't know about soy being OK or not, but there is the milk for the lactose intolerant called Lactaid. If your naturopath told you what not to eat, he should have also said what TO eat. Call his office and ask for some suggestions/guidelines.

In the meantime ...
Unread 06-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Help!! What can I eat?

The yeast diet is tough, and it depends on how strict your NP wants you to be.

Some things you can probably eat:

Spinach, raw or cooked
Jicama (sweet and juicy root veggie you can peel and dice for salads)
All sorts of squash
Possibly sweet potatoes (which interesting have a lower glycemic index than regular potatoes and are loaded with vitamins, as well.
Soy milk is probably fine as long as it's not sweetened. I'd try the Silk brand to start.

Wander through the produce section and look for things that are not too sweet. Try new things. Treat yourself to exotic vegetables. Experiment. Sometimes a restricted diet can push you into finding new, cool foods that become a regular part of your life even after the restrictions are listed.

Some fruits are sweeter than others, so check with your doctor to see if you can have all the fruits you may want.
Some folks say you can have nuts, some don't want you to because they can have a trace of mold and some docs don't want you to have anything fermented at all. Walnuts are particularly good for you if you can have them.

Fish! Chicken (I'd go to the health food store and get antibiotic-free chicken).
Eggs! (Again, pay a little extra for the antibiotic-free)
Frozen shrimp!

Brown rice cakes may be okay. Whole wheat pita bread that doesn't have yeast added for flavor may be okay. A low-sugar, high-fiber cereal like Kashi Good Friends may be okay.

See, here's the thing: your doctor needs to clarify for you just how restricted he wants you to go: No simple sugars? Low carb? No fermented products (that one's tough)? Eat no yeast? Once you have the details, then you can start hunting for good foods to eat.

Finally, I think this is the cookbook I used when I was on this diet nearly 20 years ago. I discovered it just before I was able to start reintroducing normal foods, so I didn't use it much, but I think it was pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2004, 08:58 AM
Help!! What can I eat?

Oh, and if you're allowed yogurt, you can use that on your cereal. Europeans do it all the time. If you are allowed blueberries, throw a few on there while you get used to the different taste.
Unread 06-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Help!! What can I eat?

Paklin,
Is there certain types of food you crave? DO you crave crunchy or sweet? I may be able to suggest something if I knew what it was you were craving. Meat and veggies are good but, it looks like you may be wanting something different? As far as the popcorn goes. Corn has starch and it breaks down into sugars. So does potatoes. Are you allowed potatoes?
Unread 06-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Help!! What can I eat?

Thankyou ladies for all your wonderful advice. As far as cravings go I have none.........this has gone on for so long (6mnths) that I don't even want to eat anything! - I'm terrified to eat the wrong thing, like the milk yesterday. The naturopath said not to go on the candida diet as I need to build up my immunity (I tell you girls, I am a mess - 2 ops. AB overload by GP, emotions shot, 7 weeks in hosp. treated so many times for infections I never had - all path. tests came back neg. (only 1 pos. and that was the c.glabrata some weeks ago - the next test after GyneLotrimin showd that had gone) etc. etc. - I'm not looking for sympathy, just a bit of understanding and guidance.) but he did say to stay away from yeast things and sugar things, and dairy things. Butter is OK, milk is not (as I discovered). I wondered if pita bread was OK - I can make wraps out of that. He said to eat rolled oats for breaky so I guess it means changing my taste buds to suit. I think after I see my gynos next week, I should see a dietician to get some advice - it can't hurt can it? Thanks again,
Unread 06-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Help!! What can I eat?

Kerry,
I am lactose intolerant also and have been for years. Soy milk was like pennies from heaven for me!!! The Silk brand is very good and just recently added a no sugar added variety. I've tried many different brands and I definetly think Soy Silk is the tastiest.

If you have a local health food market, you can try there for various options. Soy cheese, soy yogurt, soy ice cream, they have soy just about everything. I am like a kid in a candy store when I visit my health food market.

However, many of the things may not be allowed on the yeast free diet. While soy milk isn't included in my list, my doctor told me to mix up my supplements and make a soy shake for myself.

While I am on the yeast free diet, I've considered most packaged goods a I've tried to learn to be creative because turkey and cabbage gets very old after awhile. One of my problems is that I'm allergic to alot of the foods that are allowed.

This weekend I grilled some turkey tendorloins on the bbq and threw on some white squash and some zucchini. Added a few spices and they turned out very yummy. Yucca is another good vegetable. It can be baked, peeled and boiled, or peel it and than slice it very thin, put the slices in a bowl, add some oil, some salt and spices and than bake until crisp. Almost tastes like potato chips, only sweeter.

I won't kid you Kerry, it is not easy, but if it will make you feel better it will be well worth it. I'm having a more difficult time the second go round with this, but my dh has been helping me. I was craving some popcorn this weekend and he absolutely refused to let me have any.

P.S. Craving something sweet? I found a yummy brand of julienne sliced dried tomatoes. Put them in the fridge and a few of those cure my craving.
Unread 06-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Help!! What can I eat?

I think a dietitician is a great idea! If you're avoiding big bunches of sugar and super-yeasty things, then you can probably have the following:

Whole wheat pita bread without yeast (read the label)
Kashi Good Friends cereal (there's some sugar in there, but there's a lot of fiber, too, and it goes into your system slowly).
Blueberries, and other fruits that aren't super sweet. You may or may not have to avoid bananas, some of the sweetest fruits.
Most vegetables. Sweet potatoes are probably fine, especially if you have some protein with them, like soy yogurt. They're chock full of B-vitamins, which will probably make your immune system happy.
Lean chicken, beef, fish, tuna. Cold water fish like tuna and cod have lots of Omega-3 fatty acids in them and are very good for you.
Try walnuts on a day when you've had only foods that agree with you and see how they affect you. A handful a few times a week can be good for you--it's a very healthy fat.
Whole wheat pasta--just cook it a bit longer and it's great.
Spaghetti squash--roast it, slice in half, discard seeds, and tease out the strands. Then immediately throw the smelly old roasted skin away outside the house. This makes the squash taste better.
Dried fruits and veggies tend to have a bit of yeast to them, and dried fruit ends up with highly concentrated sugars, so go for fresh or frozen if possible (sorry, raisins!)
Bell (sweet) peppers: the red ones are better for you than the green, and they taste sweeter! Again, they pack a nutritious punch!
I think you can have hummus, too, if you have a dip craving--chick peas, tahini, onions, yup, I think you can. And you can dip sweet peppers in them!

Go easy on products that contain vinegar, like ketchup, mustard, salad dressings. There's a bit of yeast involved there. Tomato paste makes a good ketchup substitute. You can use lemon juice instead in things that need a little bite.

The South Beach diet cookbook may have nutritious recipes if you skip the dairy ones or use substitutes (Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese is a decent cream cheese substitute, by the way.)

But really, if you meander around the produce section and find a good fish market or a health food grocery with a good meat department, you can eat *very* well on this restricted diet. Just try your best to treat it as an adventure, a challenge to eat nutritious things you would never have tried before.

If you've GOTTA have bread, look for an Irish Soda Bread recipe, preferably whole wheat. It's a bit salty-tasting, but it's bready and yeast-free.

I hope this helps. Take heart! There's a lot of food out there with your name on it.

I found the Quaker Old Fashioned rolled oats taste much better than the quick oats, and they don't really take that much longer to cook. If you're not crazy about the taste, stir in some berries. You'll never miss the brown sugar! The steel cut oats (porridge) are even better for you in terms of slowness to get into your system, but they take FOREVER to cook!
Unread 06-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Help!! What can I eat?

Thankyou all so very, very much. I think I am so down in resistance and emotions that even though I now have an answer as to why I have been so sick for so long, the least little thing sets me off crying. I am on estrogen and since this all started (my GP accepts the blame for this, but hey! how much does "sorry" mean when my health has been stuffed up!), Yesterday I really just wanted to curl up in a heap and die, it would have made things for me a lot easier and saved my family any more worry, but today, although still a bit rocky I now know, from all your wonderful advice that I can survive, and that the restrictions may not be forever (I guess the lactose one will be), and as I've already lost 2.5 stone since Novr. 2003 the upside may be lose some more weight - I can well afford to (113kg - OK girls, don't be disgusted please - I really was a nice person, full of life, happy, capable, assertive, a singer, etc. NOW I feel like a shell - an empty one! - I do hope that as the diet takes effect and the undercarriage settles down as a result, I will feel more like the old me again!) Is that possible? Thanks again, will go shopping after I finish work today. God bless you all, and please keep me in your prayers so I can learn again to cope.
Unread 06-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Help!! What can I eat?

something you may want to ask your naturopath is if there are any food co op groups that he/she is aware of for organic foods. It's been a few years for me to eat well like that..I had a foster child that was allergic to everything it seemed he even had allergic bowel syndrom he would rash up from the inside out and bleed. So while he was in my care I joined one of these, they had everything imaginable and then some for milks, wheatless breads,cereals, and snacks of all kinds for dietary needs. Along with all your basic foods grown organically. You may even try checking on line for this if your doctor don't know or won't reccomend a particular one. Some health food stores can also direct you.
I hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register