visit to the colorectal surgeon..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

visit to the colorectal surgeon..... visit to the colorectal surgeon.....

Unread 06-17-2004, 11:38 AM
visit to the colorectal surgeon.....

Well after waiting forever I finally saw a colorectal doc and here is how it went.

I show up at the hospital and they actually admit me which makes me rather nervous (as an outpatient but still considering how dippy the assistant was at the old uro's I thought great, I'm booked for some procedure I know nothing about ) but apparently this is how he gets to bill his patients is by seeing them at the hospital, admitting them as outpatients, examining them, and then sending them home.

Another disturbing thing was he saw four other patients before me and doesn't close the exam room door so I got to hear all about their bowel problems/surgeries as well.....and it gave me an ear into how blunt and straight forward this guy is....in the meantime his nurse comes in to pick up the form I"ve just filled out, reads it and asks if I've ever had a colonscopy, I say no, and she says well that will likely be the plan.........

So he comes in I tell him whats been going on and he asks if I've ever had a defecogram done and I say no, he explains it somewhat and then asks if he can examine me.......I say yes and of he goes, thankfully closing the door this time so I can change.....then he goes on to another patient as I wait and then I hear him come back out and say "where am I again, which room?" to the nurse who points him back to me.....he comes in tells me to roll over on my side and gives me the old one two.....asks me to push etc and then says "well if you have a rectocele, it's a small one"......so I sit up and ask if he thinks that's whats causing the problem and he says "it could be , or sometimes a piece of intestine comes down periodically and can do the same thing after a hysterectomy and the only way to see it is with this test"......but then he goes on to say that sometimes the muscles just "forget" what they are supposed to do and don't do it so well anymore......to which I countered and said "well sometimes it's just fine, and then sometimes only little strips come out and it's incredibly painful" and he said "well I can't advise you any better until this test is done"........I asked about the endless wiping and the pain and he said well I don't know.......then he laughs and says maybe I just want to try taking Metamucil for a month everyday and see if that helps and I said "why would I do that if I'm not constipated?" and he laughed and said "I'm just saying you might want to try it"

so I was a little annoyed at this point sitting there with no pants on and a sore butt, so I said "well do you think i need to have this test or not because it sounds pretty awful and if it's not something that can be fixed anyways why go through it?" and he gives me this funny little laugh again and says "so get dressed and stop by my desk and pick up a card and we'll call you".........????? Oh and I said by the way since you've examined me that pain between my vagina and rectum on the left side is back and hurting alot......and he just shrugged and said "that could just be a muscle spasm"......but why would I have that? And why would I have it everyday?

so.......do I go back to what the uro said about it maybe being all interstitial cystitis causing the area to spasm or do I have a defect, and even if I do, he says it's too small to fix UNLESS it's the intestine thing which is apparently super hard to reproduce even with the nasty test.....or do I wait until after the procedure with the Uro to see if things improve?

I'm going to talk to my family doc and see what he says about it all, I have to say this guys bedside manner was nonexistant and the crack about the metamucil made me want to smack him.......I don't honestly know what to do, and is it worth the pain and humiliation to have the test when he doesn't think it's something that will be bad enough to get fixed for years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2004, 04:11 PM

(((Gidge))),
First off some big (((hugs))) for you I'm sorry you had to go thru all that without any additional insight as to what is going on *sigh*

IMO, I would undergo the test, just in case cuz you never know what it might reveal even if it doesnt show anything you will at least have the piece of mind knowing you tried

Hang in there, my friend You've battled & prevailed thru worse and you shall do the same this time!!!!

Good Luck at your GP's...pls let us know how it goes...((((hugs))))
Unread 06-17-2004, 04:25 PM

thanks Sheri

as luck would have it I can't see my GP till next weekend, so that's a bummer but I"m still absorbing this and will think on it, he really just turned me way off.....I"ll tell ya this much if there is something to fix he will be the last person to be doing it that's for sure!

I just feel like he was saying "hey no big deal, just live with it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2004, 05:42 PM

well I"m still waffling here girls.....don't know what to do......have the test.....feel humiliated and cause myself pain and discomfort for something that may not be able to be fixed......or just bite the bullet and go for it.........the dr's whole attitude has left such a bad taste in my mouth I don't know......

part of me wants to wait until after the bladder procedure gets done in the fall but it was so hard to get in to see this doc that I don't know how I"d ever get the test ordered again!
Unread 06-22-2004, 05:29 PM

and I've just realized that I forgot to tell the new uro so many things at my appointment with him, like the blood on my pad, my 1/2 size bladder, the leaking we really didn't get into.....I just wonder if I should call his office back and either fill them in or ask for another appointment before my procedure in the fall.....I'm also really nervous about the pain control after the hydro/fulgaration.......the last time was so brutal..........

here I am answering my own posts again sorry is anyone around ?
Unread 06-23-2004, 09:28 AM

Hey, sweetie .... sorry I did not see your posts earlier. You can PM me anytime you want to. I get an e-mail alerting me, so I usually respond pretty quickly!!!

One thing that hit me about the metamucil comment ... I use a product similar to metamucil on my horse one week out of every month to help him clear sand and just keep things moving. Horses can not vomit so it is imperative that everything exit properly.

Anyway, metamucil would add fiber to your stools, which causes water absorbtion and would bulk up your stools, theoretically making them easier to pass/giving you a better clean out. It really is a worthwhile idea ...low cost, easy to obtain - in my opinion. I think it comes in tablets, so it is not drinking the nasty stuff that it used to be. But, make sure you intake the proper amount of water or you will get constipated.

The doc should have explained that to you so instead of saying "just try it". He might have been wearing my boot print on his butt if he had taken that tone with me. Good thing you are a much nicer princess than I am.

Well, here's a I hope that the answer about what to do comes to you soon.
Unread 06-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Hey gidge,

Sorry I haven't been around--last few months have been CRAZY! I had to pack up our house (in 2 weeks after it suddenly sold) then move and unpack. And job hunt.

Anyway, sorry you're having these ongoing problems. As for the bleeding on your pad, that could be from all of the straining you're doing when you go to the potty. I have that sometimes. My IBS was diagosed years ago because of constipation. Now, since my tah, I've had the opposite problem. My gyno suggested I try metamucil daily just to keep everything flowing. (ewww) But I've had bleeding on my pad (that I get to wear every single day because now I have incontinence.)

You shouldn't worry about something that's not going to happen until the fall in regards to your pain control after the procedure. You've already told them you want to stay in the hospital at least overnite, right? They should take care of you.

If you're really concerned, it can't hurt to call your doctor about these other issues you forgot to mention. That's what they're there for, ok?

Wishing you the best!
Unread 06-23-2004, 01:22 PM

thanks for the replies......I guess I just want to make sure the uro has the complete picture as I don't know if I will speak to him before my procedure in the fall or I"ll already be unconcious by the time he sees me and the last time was incredibly brutal and I know I told him that I was concerned about the pain and that is why we're admitting me overnight....I just wanted to make him aware of how bad it really way.....additionally we never got into my leaking, the use of a prophylactic antibiotic as I always get a UTI after one of these.....etc.........

as far as the metamucil goes....I have so many allergies I just don't know if it's do-able.....and..well I'm not constipated....I go everyday....and what comes out is soft.....it just comes out very painfully in these little strips or balls.......I"ll ask my GP about it when I see him on Sat and see what he thinks about it all, I don't think the colorectal's attitude helped me much either.....he actually said to me "I do rectums ok....not vaginas"

thanks for the input I always value it
Unread 06-23-2004, 01:47 PM

Hi, Im new here I always go on the cancer concern site. anyways oh my god the doctor you just saw very bad bedside mannor. If you really are not comfortable with him go to another doctor and get a second opinion. I am the sort of person that if Im not comfortable with the doctor I go and find one I am . Because then I always second guess my self also its good to get a second opinion anyways. I hope you find out what is going on and the pain subsides. Good luck
Unread 06-23-2004, 01:55 PM

I couldn't agree more....but then I wonder, does bad bedside manner make for a good technical surgeon cause the last one I saw had a great bedside manner and was lousy at everything else, seems like you can't get both.

my feeling right now is to not return to this doc but I am listening to what everyone is saying and absorbing......guess I don't have to decide until they call to tell me when the test is right?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register