Vulvar biopsy question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vulvar biopsy question Vulvar biopsy question

Unread 06-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Vulvar biopsy question

You know how your mind goes a million miles a minute before these things? My first vulvar biopsies will be tomorrow at 9:45 AM. (sorry - I wrote about this earlier). I know you guys have said to take Motrin ahead of time with doctor approval. A couple more questions:

1. I'm assuming I'll be okay to drive home. I frankly just don't have anyone to go with me. In a way that bothers me but in a way it's kind of okay... as this is a journey we each ultimately make individually, you know? My husband's job is inflexible to a certain degree and I know depending on the outcome, we may have greater need for him to take time off.

2. If stitches are required (I had to have stitches for my LSH, which was not typical for my doc as there was a little excessive bleeding), do they give you any painkillers for the day of the biopsy? I guess I sound like a total wuss here but I'm just wondering. I suspect it's more a situation where they tell you to take some Motrin or whatever but I'm curious about your experiences.

3. Nurse mentioned cramping during the procedure. I'm lost. I could understand that if it were the cervix being biopsied - but the vulvar areas? Was that your experience? I was more expecting pain from the numbing injections. Details, ladies?

Thank you so much for any help or input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2004, 11:59 AM
Getting home

Kate, I know nothing about the biopsy procedure, but I would suggest you ask the nurse if you will be able to drive home / leave unaccompanied. Depending on the procedure, they simply may not let you leave on your own.

Some years ago, my boss had some dental work done not far from the office -- 6 - 8 blocks. The dentist would not release him. I had to go to the dentist's office and we went back to work in a cab.

Good luck.

Mary D.
Unread 06-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Vulvar biopsy question

(((Kate)))

These are great questions. Here's my experience:

1. You should be able to drive home. DH drove me because I was afraid I would be an emotional wreck, but I could have driven. Be prepared to prop on one hip to keep pressure off the area, though it might still be numb (mine was numb for about 1-1/2 hours after the procedure). But, you might like to check with your doc for confirmation.

2. I have 6 stitches. I was injected with lidocaine prior to the procedure, so there was no pain or discomfort with either the biopsy or the stitching. The Motrin was to take the edge off the injection of lidocaine (which was not a happy experience--it really stings), and to get through the first couple of hours as the numbness was wearing off. Then I just continued with the Motrin to keep the pain away. I am day 3 post-biopsy now, and I still sit slightly off to one side if I am sitting for a long time, and I needed Motrin only once today. I did cold packs 4 times a day the first 2 days, and I did one this morning and will do another tonight. I 'm thinking I'll be feeling close to normal tomorrow.

3. Maybe the nurse just wasn't thinking when she said "cramping". They do so many cervical biopsies and so few vulvar biopsies--it's probably just habit for her to say "cramping". I had none--not even a tinge of one.

The injection really was the worst part for me--even the after-biopsy pain has been more than manageable. I walked slower for a day. I can't sit straight. Be gentle in the bathroom--obviously direct contact hurts. Oh--don't forget to ask specifically about follow-up care. My doc is extra-conservative and put me on a 5-day antibiotic just to be sure to keep infection away given the location. I also wash with peroxide twice a day and put on a topical antibiotic twice a day for a week. Your directions might be different, but be sure to ask!

Good luck, Kate! I will be keeping you in my thoughts and 'ers tomorrow. Come back and let us know how things go!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Vulvar biopsy question

Thank you so much for that detailed information. It really does help to hear from someone who has gone through it. I agree; I think the nurse was thinking cervical biopsy, which is so much more common.

Will report back tomorrow. Thank you guys again for all the support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register