Why do I feel worse this week | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why do I feel worse this week Why do I feel worse this week

Unread 06-18-2004, 03:00 AM
Why do I feel worse this week

First off thanks everyone for replying to my previous posting. I rang the nurse and she said as long as any discharge looks "old" then ok but if lots and bright red straight off to the doctors!

I felt much better at the beginning of the week and was that the problem. I have done some walking and felt fine and even helped with dinner etc (week and half post op). I have been making beds etc with not much pain but yesterday the discharge and the stabbing pain and yes swelly belly. I woke at 3am this morning with feeling like stabbing in my stomach (is this where the surgeon did his deed) and I now ache all over, got low back pain - but no temperature and feel low and sick as well. What happened there? I am taking multivitamins and extra vitamin c. I know maybe I should have never tried to be superwoman but eek! DH has had the week off to be with me really to make sure I dont do anything stupid and we are going to his parents today for the weekend as mum in law had the op many years ago and I know I will get some TLC (if I can stand the two hour drive!)

What happened I was feeling good and now I have pain again and low back ache and part the reason for this surgery was to get rid of it! It also feels like my stomach is going to fall out when I go to the loo (not wee). Sorry to vent but although DH is my best friend etc etc I am not sure he will understand it all.

Need a big hug! Sorry if I am rambling on a bit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 03:39 AM

I'm glad to hear the discharge was normal.

Before I left the castle my doctor told me that at about 7-10 days I would feel worse - the pulling and insision area feelings. She said the more I took it easy these first 2 weeks the better the next few months would be.
Between making the beds and helping with dinner that might have been too much, I know I'm feeling pretty good and then do a few things and later that day/night I pay for it.
It can be very hard letting others do things for you and around the house - but take these days to relax and let the pain and swelling all settle down.
Make sure to take a pillow for the drive and your meds, since you'll be the passendger.
KelleyAnne
Unread 06-18-2004, 03:45 AM

Thanks Kellyanne for those words. Feeling a bit low today too. Seems daft but it is so reassuring that if you post a message on this site it doesnt take long for someone to act as a prop and help you along the way!

I have had ops before when I had appendix and then right ovary removed but they were so long ago I dont remember feeling quite this bad, but maybe I did and I have just forgotten! Good idea about the pillow!

Take care
Hope I feel a bit more me again in a day or so!

Looby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 06:18 AM

It can be quite frustrating not knowing exactly "what you can do." I try each day to see if I can get by with a few chores and some days are great and then there was yesterday.....I must have done too much and I paid for it last night. I am only 10 days post op but your concerns are mine too. I guess we really have to take it easy......sorry for the same old cliche and hang in there. I friend told me that you only get one chance to heal.......do it right. Best of luck to you and I hope you get some TLC.
Cathy
Unread 06-18-2004, 06:38 AM

Thanks will do my best! Sure will feel better again soon. Just when those rain clouds hover overhead sometimes makes it difficult ..!!
Have a good weekend sisters!

Looby
Unread 06-18-2004, 08:13 AM

Loobyloo

Making beds??? You're still early in recovery and those beds can wait. That seems to be one of our toughest challenges in recovery.....letting dust bunnies congregate and beds being unmade.....Laundry is a big issue, too. Most household chores have you twisting and bending and stretching. Not pleasant on a healing tummy.

Enjoy the trip to your MIL's house. You might want to break up your trip halfway through it and walk around the car for a few minutes, rather than just sitting for the full 2 hours. Sitting is an activity and will tire you out.

Good healing to you!
s
Cat
Unread 06-18-2004, 08:19 AM

Oh dear I consider myself told off then. I wont tell you what else I was doing up to yesterday then

Just as the outside was all healed up (unusual for me) I took it for granted that inside was getting on nicely too. Wrong ow. Even just standing for a few minutes hurts now, feels like muscle strain or something. I just dont like to admit that I need help in doing stuff I guess and dont want people to think Im being lazy. Probably all in my mind I know but Im a bit like that.

So many different emotions going through me at the moment as well as those stabbing pains. I am sure it will all get better and know that it was a good decision but oh pooh!

Unread 06-18-2004, 08:34 AM

Here's a list from the post op hints list of Do's and Don't's following surgery. These should be followed until your doctor releases you to all activities. Any stretching, bending, lifting is going to cause you more pain and discomfort. This is the time to be a good princess.

Post-Op Hysterectomy: Allowed? Not Allowed?

-Picking up pillows and repositioning them-allowed
-Turning on dishwasher AFTER SOMEONE ELSE HAS LOADED IT-allowed
-Changing roll of toilet paper-allowed
-Flipping on lightswitch-allowed
-Folding laundry-allowed
-Taking short, easy walks and gentle stretching-allowed
-Lifting the remote control-allowed
-Asking others for help-allowed and encouraged

X - Vacuuming-NOT ALLOWED
X - Sweeping or Mopping-NOT ALLOWED
X - Carrying laundry across house to washer-NOT ALLOWED
X - Lifting, Bending, Reaching, Driving-NOT ALLOWED
X - Lying around the house all day doing nothing-NOT ALLOWED (see above)
X - Bending to access oven or empty litterboxes-NOT ALLOWED
X - Going to Wal-Mart for some bargain shopping-NOT RECOMMENDED
X - Pushing a shopping cart-NOT ALLOWED
X - Sitting for prolonged periods of time i.e. at computer-NOT ALLOWED
X - Opening windows, particularly the hard-to-open ones-NOT ALLOWED
X - Making other people's problems your own-NOT ALLOWED
X - Picking Tomatoes, Weeding, and other such nonsense-NOT ALLOWED
Unread 06-18-2004, 09:25 AM

OOH!

I thought sitting at the computer (laptop on the bed) would be okay. That might account for the fact that my back is hurting more. I haven't done anything else since my TAH on 6/3, but still feel like a bad matador--the one who is gored, thrown into the air, and then stepped on.

My family is helping out a lot, but telling an ADHD teenager how to do laundry is really trying.

When can I do something?
Unread 06-18-2004, 12:01 PM

My doctor told me to basically do nothing (except easy walking) for the first 6 weeks, then he released me to add activities back in slowly (not all at once). I followed his (and the Hyster Sisters) advise to the letter and at over 3 years post op, I don't have any complaints or regrets. This is your one chance to heal correctly, use it wisely. Be a princess and let others pamper you.
Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register