Post chemo insomnia!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post chemo insomnia!!! Post chemo insomnia!!!

Unread 06-18-2004, 10:00 AM
Post chemo insomnia!!!

Can anyone relate to the troubling issue of post chemo insomnia? How about the overall readjustment to life? I can still barely take a walk without getting depressed and still have a year to go until the completion of my undergraduate degree!!! My last chemo was two solid weeks ago and still I can't sleep more than three hours a night. They don't give nulasta or aranesp to boost your blood counts on the last round for the cisplatin regimen so you're basically on your own trying to build them up naturally. How long has it taken anyone here to reclaim life/your mind? I feel like I've lost my mind forever. Sad music always pours through my head and my son thinks his mother's a turnip. :cry: Have sleeping pills been affective for anyone with this issue?

Anyway, big to everyone.
-Kate (RAH, chemo, radiation cervical cancer stage 1A2 neuroendocrine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Post chemo insomnia!!!

Dear Kate....My Gyne/Onc gave me a presciption for Ambien (sleeping pills) when I started my chemo. She told me alot of women have insomnia with the chemo. I didn't need it because I just got very tired and could sleep for days after my chemo. I did take the Ambien once and slept great with no hang over in the morning. I hope this helps.

Bertha
Unread 06-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Post chemo insomnia!!!

Hi Kate,

I also had a hard time sleeping after my hysterectomy, throughtout chemo, and even sometimes now, two years later.

My oncologist gave me ambien but I really did not like it. I was not having problems falling asleep,,,, rather my problem was staying asleep.

Actually when I get anxious or feel that I cannot relax and sleep, I take a zanax and am out for the night.

Also, tylenol PM seems to help.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 01:13 PM
Post chemo insomnia!!!

Hi Kate,

I had trouble sleeping during chemo, but not after. The brain fog lasted for a few months and i thought perhaps my brain had been located in my uterus and had been removed with the hyst! Are you taking any medications that could cause insomnia? If sad music keeps comimg thru your mind, perhaps you have depression that needs treament. Many people battling cancer are helped by medicine to fight depression. Lack of sleep can be a sign depression, or may cause it. Hope you soon feel better!
Unread 06-20-2004, 04:53 AM
Post chemo insomnia!!!

A friend, who had ovarian cancer two years ago, suggested I ask my oncologist for a sleeping pill. He prescribed Ambien and for me it works like a charm - it puts me right to sleep and seven hours later I wake up. Normally I have a hard time falling asleep. I hope you find something that works well for you real soon.
Unread 06-21-2004, 03:46 PM
Post chemo insomnia!!!

Kate:
I still have trouble falling asleep. My last chemo was in Oct. I take elavil and an ativan and that works, most times. Then I can sleep all night.

Chemo brain does go away. You will see. And your strength will also come back to you. It takes time.

Just do what you can for now, and before you know it, you will be gaining more strength and focus everyday.

Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register