Surgery Tuesday and SCARED TO DEATH! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Tuesday and SCARED TO DEATH! Surgery Tuesday and SCARED TO DEATH!

Unread 06-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Surgery Tuesday and SCARED TO DEATH!

Sisters,

I am scheduled for an LAVH/BSO on Tuesday. I call Monday to find out what time the surgery will be. I am getting extremely nervous! I am at peace about having the procedure. I believe it was the right move for me. I think the idea of being out for so long bothers me. I am told 3-4 hours maximum. My doctor decided on an LAVH, but I don't know. Something in my gut (no pun intended) tells me that I should have the TAH. I just don't feel like he can take a good look in there and get all the Endo/Adeno with an LAVH. Maybe I'm wrong. Any thoughts from anyone on the matter? I also have been hurting with some stabbing pains very near where my appendix is, and if that is inflamed, I want it removed. He can't do that without doing an TAH, right? Furthermore, I have never had children, and the doctor said that it is much more difficult to do an LAVH on someone that hasn't had kids. Has anyone else been told this I wonder? So, if there's the slightest chance at all that an LAVH could turn into a TAH, why not do a TAH and be done with it? Haven't pushed my doc toward the TAH yet, and he isn't adamant about doing the LAVH; however, I just want the peace of mind that everything's out that should be. Is that silly? Also, anxious like all get out, and I start bowel prep tomorrow. Liquid diet, Jello, and Magnesium Citrate (almost 2 bottles!) Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2004, 10:01 PM

Oh, good luck to you, sister! I know all will turn out just fine. I had never had children either, so that's why I had the TAH. My doctor said a lot of times the cervix and uterus won't drop enough to do the surgery vaginally if you've never had kids.

As far as your appendix, I think they can remove it these days laparascopically.

I'm no expect, but from what I've read, if your doctor runs into problems with the vaginal procedure, he will switch to abdominal.

I hope you are feeling better, and look forward to seeing your posts once you're home from the castle!
Unread 06-19-2004, 10:08 PM

Katlover,

Thanks for your reply. That's what I was afraid of. If he'd just do the TAH, then I wouldn't have so many incisions than if he started the LAVH and then switched to TAH midstream. To me that seems to be more healing. Yikes! Thanks for the encouragement though. I sure do need it right now, and I send you encouragement also as you continue to recover. Personally, I don't think we ever recover completely because our lives are forever changed, but I do believe that the change is for the better most often. Take care of yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2004, 10:11 PM

I KNOW how you feel! I was scheduled for a LAVH/BSO this past Tuesday. It started as one, and ended 4 and 1/2 hours later as a TAH/BSO. So my swelly belly has all kinds of funny looking things on it! The point is, you have to trust your doctor to do the right thing for you. My doctor told me the Friday before my surgery that he has a record of 99% when it came to LAVH and I was skeptical cause I knew how big those fibroids were! So...when I saw him after the surgery, I reminded him that I was his 1%! My advice...talk to him, tell him your fears. Ask him if he will switch to a TAH if he feels that things are not going as they should. After 2 and 1/2 hours in surgery, my DR had only removed 25% of my fibroids! So he switched!

As for being scared, you have to let that one go! They are so good to you before hand and I was promised I would be asleep before I ever left the holding room. I say I was...my DH says I wasn't. He says I waved to him and said I love you , David. HIS name is Mark! The nurse anesthesists name was David!
Unread 06-19-2004, 10:35 PM

I went to my dr. after feeling a hard bump in my lower right quadrant. It never hurt or caused a problem, as a matter of fact when I started pushing and proding a bit it would disapear. She couldn't feel anything after an internal which seemed quite thorough, and told me if I felt it again to let her know. Well it was awhile before I felt it again, but I'd forget and put off calling her. Finally 6 mos. later it was time for my yearly and I'd forgotten all about it. This time she felt something and sent me for a sonogram. My uterus was full of fibroids, but this other thing, around my ovary, they couldn't tell. Just a 5cm mass. Dr. said it was probably a fibroid grown off from the uterus but there was no way to be certain without going in and she gave me the options. Laparoscope and removal of the mass, but if she saw anything else that didn't look good she would switch to the abdominal hyst. and take uterus as well, or whatever needed to go, possibly appendix. I had a lot of trust in her but was scared to death to be put to sleep and thought if I opted for the hyster. right off I'd be under longer.
She said the time wouldn't be more then 1/2 hour difference, so I got over my fear and being full of fibroids that could cause me to have surgery again, I decided to go for it. I am almost 50 and not planning on more kids, so it seemed the right thing to do. I live in a small town, with a relatively small hospital, all went very well. It's a scary decision, but general anesthesia is really a very safe thing as long as you have a competent anesthisologist(sp) all the best.
Unread 06-19-2004, 10:46 PM

((hug)) My hyster is tuesday too... I've been very busy getting things ready around the house so now that everything is pretty much done I'm getting the nerves too. We will all get through it together!!!!!!!
BTW_ I am a teacher too!!!!!!!
Unread 06-20-2004, 12:00 AM
sorry you're scared

My hyster is on Tuesday too. The nerves really stink, but the worst part is not having any pain meds and being on my period.
Unread 06-20-2004, 12:25 AM

I had a LAVH almost 10 yrs ago at age 29. It almost turned into a TAH because I was so small since I never had kids, but the doctor was able to "pull it all out of there" (I still cringe when I remember him describing it that way!! :confuse: I had an extensive amount of endometriosis, binding my poly-cystic ovaries to my uterus and making it all come out in one big piece. He was able to remove all the endometriosis, and I have been problem-free since the surgery (aside from a small problem with vaginal scar tissue bleeding that required silver nitrate cautery). I have my life back, and am able to do all sorts of things that I couldn't when I was hurting so badly from endometriosis.
I know that it's a scary step, and your experience won't be the same as mine. But it's definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. I hope everything works out so well for you, and I'll be praying for you on Tuesday!! Keep us posted!
Unread 06-20-2004, 04:45 AM
the appendix thingy

Hey Teacher4 life-I am a speech path in a school too-we are all going in on the 22 so we have our summer to heal-darn-I like my summers for fun stuff.

Anyhow, I have gone to the docs 3 times this past year with that right quadrant pain, just sure I had appendicitis. Why I would want appendicitis rather than a hysterectomy I do not know-it is just something less personal and less emotional I guess.
But it wasn't appendix, they just think the fibroids and the prolapsed uterus is pushing, or pulling or dragging or something in that area. But the doc said he would look at it and if it needs to go he will take it too.

We are in the home stretch now-pretty soon we can complain about waiting to heal instead of waiting for surgery. One step at a time I tell myself.

Good luck to you all.
Unread 06-20-2004, 08:01 AM

The nerves are something, huh? I went in at 7:30 for a TAH/BSO, and was supposed to be done by 12:00 (yikes!) - I didn't get done until 1:30, and my DSO was going crazy. BUT, I have a GREAT prognosis for a complete recovery and a pain-free existence!

I am now 9 days Post-Op. My "roommate" in the Castle was in for a myomectomy that was supposed to be done cystoscopically through the vagina, but she ended up with a vertical incision like mine. So, the docs are well trained to decide when it is appropriate to switch from one procedure to another. As for the extra "cuts" with the laparoscope, they are so minor - my last laparoscopy, one of the cuts didn't even have sutures.

Years and years ago, a friend of mine had a VH (without the laparoscope), and she ended up with a lot of problems b/c her uterus was adhered to her bladder. HOWEVER, that is why they do the LAVH now, so they can see those things.

AS for LAVH that can turn into a TAH - the recovery time for an LAVH is much shorter than for a TAH - that might be why he is going in with an LAVH.

As for the appendix - I went to the ER 10 days before my surgery with what they were SURE was appendicitis. They were discussing whether or not they could wait until the morning when my surgeon would be in. Well, the CAT scan came back - no appendicitis!! But, if you are unsure, you should defintely talk to your doc - that's nothing to fool around with. My other symptoms were low-grade fever and nausea. And when they went in, they left the appendix - surprised the heck out of me.

Good luck - I'm sure everything will be fine - talk to your doc about your concerns.

Esme

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register