cervical cancer - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cervical cancer cervical cancer

Unread 06-20-2004, 04:30 PM
cervical cancer

Melissa--Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I had endometrial cancer 1b. I hade a radical hysterectomy, removal of the ovaries and removal of lymph nodes. This was done 7-17-03. I just recently found this web site and wish I found it last summer.

My GYN oncologist did an abdominal hysterectomy as he said to "look around and get everything out and reach down in my pelvic area and get some nodes"

I was in the hospital for 4 days and was released. Recovery at home was slow and it is a MAJOR operation. You will be tired easily and gain your strength back slowly. I went back to work part-time for 2 weeks after my 8 week recovery and then back to work full time.

I have a husband and 2 teenage boys and a family and yes they were all freaked out. They will get over it and you all will go along one day at a time.

Everyone had great information for you the only thing that I would add is to get a bold colored notebook and keep track of all your medical information in it.

My GYN-oncologist told me to get my medical history( mother, father, sister, brothers, aunts, uncle, living and dead and what they died of) before he would see me. I called on Monday and had my appt. on Wed---so I made lots of phone calls.

Another benefit that I had was the girls from my church brought food to our house every other day for 6 weeks ---What a luxury! All I had to think about was getting better! All the men and boys in my house cared about was what's for supper! lol

I see my gyn oncologist every 3 mos. for 2 years and he does a pap smear at every visit.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

We will keep you in our prayers!

RO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2004, 09:18 AM
cervical cancer

Hi Melissa. I know I already replied to you somewhere. On another board maybe? Anyway, I'm coming in late to this thread, and just about everything has already been covered. I just want to add my personal feelings here. When I was told that I had cervical cancer, my immediate reaction was "Let's get this show on the road and get that stuff OUTTA there!" I wanted everything removed that could possibly have cancer or could develop it in the future, including both ovaries. I had a total radical hysterectomy on June 4, two weeks after my cone showed the cancer. It hasn't been bad. I wish I didn't have the long vertical incision, but I understand that it was necessary for my Dr. to be able to examine all my other organs. He wanted to check EVERYTHING for possible cancer. Thank God, he found no cancer anywhere except on the cervix, so I needed no further treatment! I am confident that the surgery I had was right for me, and I am so glad to be rid of the cancer.....and Aunt Flow, too!

Cancer is NOT the death sentence it once was, especially when it is caught early like yours and mine was. It's just something that needs to be removed from your body. A positive attitude is extremely important in your recovery, so you need to approach this with a "Let's get this show on the road" attitude. It'll be over with before you know it! Best of luck to you!
Unread 06-21-2004, 11:50 AM
cant wait to see the doc!

Okay ladies,tomorrow I go see my gyno,I am loaded with questions and am prepared to tell him that I am having a oncologist gyno do my surgery! I called ahead and told the nurse he better have more than 3 minutes set aside for me as I have questions.I was told to bring someone with me,but my options are my weepy mother or my husband.He is another story altogether.I am going alone .Can't wait to find out the stage and where ,what and when.I'll post after,thanks so much for all the info.Sincerely Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Hope this helps

I was a young mother of 2 when I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 1980. At that time I went for laser treatments. My mom came with me and it was something that brought us closer together (we were both terrified). Later that year I met my husband and we had 2 more children. In December of last year I went to the doctor because of extremely painful and heavy periods and I was again diagnosed with cervical cancer. I didn't even want anyone to know until after Christmas but my husband found out. I went for biopsies and was scheduled for more (LEEP, D&C, etc) when I went back to my family doctor and said that I wanted to get another opinion from a female OB/GYN. When I went to see her and she went through my history, she asked if I had considered a TAH. I hugged her! I just wanted this to be over with as I had suffered for years. I figured that having a TAH with BSO would not only get rid of the cancer in my body but was a lot better than all of the other alternatives. I went in on June 15 and I already feel better knowing that I am now on my way to the rest of my life.
Unread 06-21-2004, 03:39 PM
cervical cancer

Melissa,
I understand wanting to alone but sometimes it helps to have another set of ears because you will forget so much. I was by myself because no one thought I was going to get a cancer diagnosis. Do NOT take anyone who you will have to take care of or worry about. How about a close friend who can take notes on what is said? My husband is good about this stuff, he always remembers things that I don't remember because I am too nervous. I would never, ever, consider taking one of my parents because I would end up worrying about them and taking care of them. You need to focus on yourself and your treatment and NO ONE else. They are adults, they'll just have to figure out how to cope. They should be helping YOU, not the other way around. If you don't have a friend to go with you, or even if you do, have the doctor write down all of the relevant information. My gyn/onc drew me a picture of where the cancer was, wrote down the stage of cancer, all the treatments, the side effects and when the side effects would begin. It was such a HUGE help. I went back and looked at that paper about 100 times. It's too overwhelming and too scary to be able to absorb it all at once. He also contacted the gyn/radiation oncologist while I was there and got me an appointment with her for the next morning. He wrote that down for me too. I was in a total daze. In hindsight, my best friend would probably have been the best person to take with me. She's a journalist and used to taking notes and asking questions. Do you know anyone like that? If not, you'll be fine on your own, just make sure your doctor writes down everything.

You'll be fine. This is doable. Within a couple of months you will be cancer free and ready to get on with the rest of your life!

Hugs and comfort,
Janie
Unread 06-21-2004, 04:15 PM
cervical cancer

I brought my husband with me to all my appointments, and you wouldn't believe how different our memories of the same conversations were! (I conceded to him every time--I was way too flipped out to trust my memory...)

But if you insist on going alone, spend a few dollars and get a small tape recorder to take with you. I guarantee you'll be glad you did.

Valarie
Unread 06-21-2004, 06:54 PM
cervical cancer

Melissa,
I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have been having abnormal paps since August 2002. I have had biopsies, leep's and cryo's and nothing seems to get rid of it. After my last procedure in November of last year, my GYN said if this one came back abnormal he was going to refer me to and GYN/ONC. When I got the results I started bawling. I couldnt believe it was happening again. My biopsies that he took after he finished the leep came back normal so I thought I was out of the woods...NNNOOOTTTT !!!! Start all over again. Let me say that mine is a stage 1. It is important that you find that out because stage 1 is PRE-cancerous. It doesnt mean you have cancer. You may just have pre-cancerous cells. This is why paps are done, to catch any cancerous cells before the advance to the next stage. The higher the stage, the less likely they are to correct the problem. My GYN gave me a choice only because I went in his office for a consultation after my last pap came back abnormal upset, crying and tired. At that point, I told him just take it all out. He said I could go see a GYN/ONC and get a second opinion or I could go ahead with the surgery. I chose the surgery because after all I have been through since 2002, I am done with it. My GYN is doing my surgery and I feel comfortable with that because he has been doing them for 20 something years. I wish you luck and I know you will make the right decision. Dont get discouraged if your husband acts like it isnt a big deal, he is probably trying to be strong for you and it is typical for family to be scared about things like this. Just hang in there ok. Your sisters are here for you !!!!!!

MichelleLee
Unread 06-22-2004, 09:02 AM
cervical cancer

Michelle, I just wanted to clarify what you said about stage I being pre-cancerous. I think it must be a matter of what type of stage I you have..... Is it stage I dysplasia, or stage I cancer? My cervical cancer was stage I, B2, and yes, it was definitely squamous cell cancer. It is the earliest stage of cancer, but it IS cancer, and it must be removed. I think, from your post, you must be referring to CIN stage I, which is dysplasia. Whatever you have, I wish you lots of luck in getting rid of it with your upcoming surgery, and I wish for you a recovery as smooth as mine has been so far.

Jan
Unread 06-22-2004, 10:42 AM
my two cents

Melissa,
I know how you are feeling....it wasn't that long ago that I was there myself.

I echo the thoughts of the others -- see a gyn/onc. With your cone showing invasive cancer, your hysterectomy will likely be a radical with lymph node dissection.

I had light bleeding for two weeks after my cone. If you are having heavy bleeding and are passing out from it, please phone your doctor.

The other ladies have given you good advice already so I need not say any more....except good luck and let us know how you make out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register