Has anyone been treated with Topotecan for ovarian cancer? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone been treated with Topotecan for ovarian cancer? Has anyone been treated with Topotecan for ovarian cancer?

Unread 06-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Has anyone been treated with Topotecan for ovarian cancer?

Hello again. Just a question. Has anyone been treated with Topotecan for ovarian cancer? My Aunt started this chemo just today. She will have the treatments five days straight, then will wait a month and receive the treatment for five days straight again. She was on Doxil and that didn't seem to be helping. Her numbers kept going up and she got a rash and swelling. I was just hoping to hear from someone who has been treated with this chemo drug and what effects they experienced from it. Thanks so much.

Samantha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Topotecan is a common ovarian drug

The brand name is Hycamtin. If you type topotecan or Hycamtin in your search engine, you'll get good information on it. The site called cancerbackup or cancerbacup has excellent easy to read information. They've had success with this drug. I haven't had it.
Unread 06-21-2004, 04:27 PM

Hi Samantha,

I had 6 treatments of taxol and carboplatin for ovarian cancer. The treatment was given once every three weeks. sorry, I do not know anything about the chemo your aunt is getting.

Did she already have the taxol/carboplatin chemo and it not work for her??/ I am just curious.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2004, 04:46 PM

s Samantha

Topotecan is a commonly used drug for second line treatment.
I assume your Aunt has already been treated without success with taxol and carboplatin? Or has had a very early recurrence?
I have included a link to the Johns Hopkins web site area for recurrences. It includes quite abit of information about topotecan.
Hope it helps you and your Aunt.
You are a very caring niece!

karenann

http://ovariancancer.jhmi.edu/treatm...currentdisease
Unread 06-22-2004, 12:52 AM

Hi Samantha,

Yes, I am receiving Topotecan. I was first given 5 cycles of carbo and VP16. Unfortunately my first ONC decided that even though I had a small cell and very agressive, metastatic cancer that it wouldn't matter if I had to wait 5 or more weeks for my white blood cell to rebound to get chemo again. My CA-125 numbers kept trending downward in the normal range while my old mets were disappearing. New ones were forming elsewhere! Now I am on the 2nd line of defense after forming an alliance with a new ONC who specializes more in these tough small cell cancers. My protocol is different. I am getting it once per week at a higher dose. I give myself decadron for an anti-emetic and 3 days of neupogen shots. The nurses taught me. My WBC count has rebounded but may need Procrit as well to adress some anemia.

If your aunt does not have small cell cancer then she probably is following the different protocol. About 30% of all cancers are small cell. My cancer either originated in the lung or the uterus but the doctors can't be more specific. I was exposed to heavy 2nd hand smoke as a child. I am not a smoker. I may be more able to follow either a small cell lung with metastises protocol or a uterine protocol.

Either way I can say that we started with a lower dose the first 2 times. It did tend to make my stomach gassy and had weird nausea. It has since gotten better and I am now finally above 102 pounds. This is a good sign because mets can eat up the calories. Certain chemos seem to emaciate people also.

There are other lines of defense as well. Sounds like your aunt is only on the second. Some people don't do well on Carbo, etc.

I prefer the Topotecan but it seems to be a little tougher chemo. It seems that a lot of clinicals use variants of this chemo drug. There are going to be some wonderful treatments for our types of cancer hopefully in the very near future.

s
Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register