Cyst Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Cyst Pain

Hello all...

Well found out that the pelvic pain I am having 2 years post-op are some large cysts.
Dr is worried that since I have been having the pain for the last few months that they won't go away on their own.
He also said that since I have had 2 abdominal surgeries.. I can't do laproscopic because of too much scar tissue. =(
So... waiting it out a little longer to see if they will go away.. have another appt on Friday.

My boss isn't going to be too thrilled hearing I'm having another surgery.

Question to anyone who has had a ovary or cyst removed abdominally... what is the normaly recovery rate on that? Please don't say 6 weeks like my hysterectomy!

Thanks,

Kyia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Cyst Pain

Oh ((((Kyia)))) I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this on-going pain and may be facing additional surgery I have not had this particular surgery myself, so can't offer any insight, but I did want to send some s your way.
Unread 06-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Cyst Pain

Kyla,
Recovery time will probably depend on how much work the doc has to do once he opens you up. I would however, count on at least 4-6 weeks, maybe longer. I had a laprotomy before I had the hyst and I was off work for 4 weeks, than back part time for 3 weeks.

Even if the doc was able to do the surgery via lap, you may still be looking at a longer recovery time depending on the work done. I've had several laps after my hyst and found that with each additional surgery it took me longer to recover.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Cyst Pain

Thank you ladies... I guess now I have an idea of what I may be facing.

Another question to you all... I have a couple of options and am looking for opinions.

Option 1 - Open me up and remove cysts.. close me up and put me back on BC to try and stop cysts from coming back. (not guaranteed)

Option 2 - Remove ovaries (Age 32) and be on HRT.

I am leaning toward option 2... because I am going to have to take hormones no matter what... at least with option 2 I know I won't have a reoccurance of the cysts. BUT... I know that it is just TOO simple... and maybe life without my ovaries would be worse??

Opinion anyone?
Unread 06-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Cyst Pain

I had a RSO (right salpingo oopherectomy) done laproscopically 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have had 5 prior abdominal surgeries before this surgery - I guess I was fortunate that scar tissues was not a problem. I also had numerous adhesions removed. I was told to expect about 3-4 weeks recovery for my procedure. I had been told that if an abdominal incision was necessary then the recovery would then be about 6 weeks.

I had my hysterectomy almost 2 1/2 years ago when I was 41 years old - I kept both ovaries at that time - the ovaries were healthy and functioning just fine. I have always had cysts that would develop and then go away on their own. Many women develop cysts on their ovaries and many never even know that have them.

When I had my hysterectomy my ovaries were healthy, producing the necessary hormones, and I have no family history of ovarian cancer so I was happy to keep the ovaries. For 2 years the ovaries functioned with absolutely no problems. About 6 months ago I began to have continuing and increasing pain in the right ovary area. After several vaginal ultrasounds and "watchful waiting" it was determined that my right ovary had developed some cysts that had turned from simple, fluid filled cycts to complex, solid mass cysts - the ovary had also become adhered to the vaginal cuff with horrible adhesions. Due to the changes in the cysts it was not an option for me to just have the cysts removed. My left ovary is still healthy and functioning - that ovary was wrapped in a protective mesh to protect it from developing complications. So, far I have no hormonal changes or hot flashes. I am almost 44 years old and was quite hapy to keep the left ovary - I don't want to take HRT until I absolutely have to. I have no regrest about keeping both ovaries when I had the hysterectomy and no regrets about saving the left ovary with the recent surgery.

Please thoroughly discuss all your options with your doctor - maybe it would be a good idea to get another opinion too. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Unread 06-24-2004, 09:10 AM
Cyst Pain

Hello Kiwi72,
I hope all works out well for you. I had a hysterectomy March 2003 followed by a small bowel obstruction with surgery in July 2003, and now I am having left flank(abdomen) pain for about a week. I went to the emergency room last week and it was determined that I had a cyst on my left ovary. My right ovary could not be found via abdomen or vaginal sonogram.

I spoke with my Dr. on yesterday, and it was determined that the cyst is the size of a lime; supposedly a little larger than usual. This Dr. is not an OB GYN spec. or Surgeon, but seems to think that if it continues to cause pain the recourse is Hormones or surgery.

I am so nervous just thinking about surgery after having 2 just a little over a year ago. I will get another sonogram in 6 weeks to see if there has been any changes.

I genuinely appreciate this site and tried helping with my little support by purchasing items from the store in the pass. I even told a couple of people possibly facing surgery about this wonderful site.

But, I was praying that I wouldn't return again seeking info for myself, because it serves as a reminder of my prior surgeries.

I did think about everyone last Halloween when I dressed up like a princess and topping it off with my Princess Crown that continues to rest on the top of my refridgerator.

But, here I am again, and I'm glad that you guys are still here being supportive and sharing part of your lives unselfishly.
Unread 06-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Cyst Pain

Dear Kyia: Although I cannot tell you what it's like for abdominal surgery, I am currently scheduled 7-6 for a lap to remove my remaining ovary. I can tell you that although you may think your boss will freak, he won't. I am an office manager and paralegal for a very busy law firm and I had myself so worked up with guilt about telling him I'd be gone for 2-3 weeks after I was out for 8 weeks last year, and 6 weeks the year before that, he totally understood and told me that my health is more important than anything and whatever it takes to get myself healthy again and not to worry. I felt so much better and now can relax without guilt. So, maybe it's not as bad as you think. My prayers are with you for your upcoming surgery. Jill.
Unread 06-24-2004, 10:48 AM
Cyst Pain

I can't tell you how much it helps just knowing I am not the only one this happens to. It just seems like it. Besides my hysterectomy.. I have had gallbladder & knee surgery all within the last 3 years... then to think of having another one... it really just starts to make you are totally abnormal... especially when people say... Your having ANOTHER surgery?? Like this is something I want to do. It is very disheartening.
Thanks Jill for the comment on my boss... she is a woman.. so you would think it would make it that much easier... but she is also the type that brags about going back to work 1 day after having her son via C-section. She is very tough... and although she is going to say, "do what you need to get healthy" she isn't going to mean it... and that is hard.
But I know... that my health is more important.. but it is hard to justify this one. I mean... cysts aren't DANGEROUS to have.. just painful... so I keep thinking.. maybe I should just deal with the pain and go on with my life?? I know what all will say to that.. but don't some of you think the same? It is hard enough that I have to keep going through this stuff.... I hate that my family & friends do too. Thanks to all for being there for me.. you guys are the best. angel2:
Unread 06-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Cyst Pain

Quote:
I have had gallbladder & knee surgery all within the last 3 years... then to think of having another one... it really just starts to make you are totally abnormal... especially when people say... Your having ANOTHER surgery?? Like this is something I want to do. It is very disheartening.
I sure can relate to that! I have had 7 surgeries in the past 4 years. I had an abdominal tumor removed in 2000, my hystrectomy in 2002, carpal tunel surgery in August 2003, and left foot surgery in September, 2003. This year I have had 3 surgeries ~~a tumor removed from my back in March, right ovary removed June 4th and tendon repair surgery on my right foot last week. People look at me and say "Another surgery? What in the world is wrong with you?" Like I can invent any of these problems.

Quote:
I mean... cysts aren't DANGEROUS to have.. just painful
Many cysts are simple and not life-threatening but not always. I had to have my right ovary removed because the cysts had changed from simple cysts to complex cysts ~~ when changes occur there is a possibility cysts can become dangerous. I am thankful that my pathology can back benign. The only way to be certain there was no cancer was to have the surgery.

I will be praying for you!

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register