Enema & milk of magnesia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Enema & milk of magnesia? Enema & milk of magnesia?

Unread 06-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Enema & milk of magnesia?

I had my pre-op DR appt today. (Surgery is the 28th @7:30 a.m.). He was really good about answering all of my questions, so I feel good going in. But on the way out, I had to book my post-op appt and at that time the nurse gave me a sheet that lists the "night before" procedures. Along with showering, it says to use a fleet enema and to take one ounce of milk of magnesia. I've never used either, so I'm not sure what to expect and if there is a specific way I should use them. (Obviously, follow the package directions, but should I take them at the same time, or use one and then, later, use the other, and if so, which one first?)

Any guidance will be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2004, 09:21 PM

Milk of Magnesia is a laxative--a quick one, too (a couple of hours). I would do it before doing the enema. An enema is a saline solution that you insert and "squirt" (sorry for the graphic) into your anus. The enema will work within 10 minutes--usually within 2 minutes.

I know the "bowel prep" is not fun.....but you want to be "clean" during surgery. Just think how nasty it would be if they (God forbid, and it happens hardly ever) nicked your intestines? That would be introducing an incredible amount of bacteria to your open wounds. Not good.

So.....be a good little lady in waiting, and follow the directions on the packages, and do as the doc says. You will need to be "babying those bowels" afterwards, too. Be ready for stool softeners, glycerin suppositories, Prep H, and basically discomfort from gas. Gas X was my savior.

I know. I know. I wasn't expecting to be so involved with my daily bowel movements when fantasizing about being an adult, either. Just stay on top of it, and ask us anything, anytime.

God bless you, Love, and I know you'll do just fine.
Unread 06-21-2004, 09:38 PM

ROFL Ladeedah! You are so right, I've never spent so much time thinking about my bowels as I have since this surgery. Almost 9 months later and I'm still not 100%!!

Milk of mag is a great laxative, it was the only thing that really worked when I became constipated after my surgery. It tastes chalky and minty, kinda gross, but it works like a charm. You usually drink a couple of ounces (I just take a couple of swigs out of the bottle) and then drink a big ol' glass of water to wash it down. It's a gentle laxative, doesn't cause cramping and gas.

I was supposed to do an enema before my surgery, but I just couldn't do it. And the citrate of magnesium I had to drink cleaned me out totally so I didn't worry about it. (I know, I know, bad princess! I didn't follow the orders to the T. LOL)

Good luck!

Mary Ellen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register