Question: Having lap 7-6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question: Having lap 7-6 Question: Having lap 7-6

Unread 06-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Question: Having lap 7-6

I am having lap to remove my remaining ovary. It is supposed to be outpatient. I have a question: why don't I need lab work done prior to the surgery? Also, by lap, is this under general anesthesia? I know I should be asking my doctor these questions, but I want to know now instead of for my pre-op appt on July 1. What is it like after you've have had it? Thanks for any input. Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2004, 07:48 PM

I had my right ovary removed laproscopically 2 weeks ago. The surgery was out-patient and I was given general anesthesia. My doctor did lab work prior to the surgery - you'll need to ask your doctor about that. After the surgery I had quite a bit of gas and swelling. My digestive system is finally getting back to normal this week. I was told to expect a 3-4 week recovery period. I still have my left ovary so I do not have any hormone changes - that is something you will want to discuss with your doctor before surgery.

You will be in my prayers for a successful surgery and complete recovery.

Unread 06-22-2004, 08:01 PM

Thanks so much for the info, I appreciate it. Glad to hear you are doing well. Enjoy your time off. I have been taking lowest dose of Premarin for exactly one month now because I was having menopausal symptoms so hopefully, I won't see much change after this ovary is out because it wasn't functioning normally anyhow. Although lately I'm getting the hot flashes and insomnia again. May have to increase my dose. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2004, 08:37 AM

((((Corgilover))))

I have had 4 laps. Afterward you may feel a bit sore in your shoulders. You can get some relief from this by laying down with a heating pad, but don't lay down flat too much or it will actually delay the release of the gas.

I had minimal blood work on the day before the laps at the hospital when I did my pre-admission stuff.

These were all day surgeries and I had general anesthesia. My doc did give me the option of staying awake to a point so that he could tell me what he was seeing and then knocking me out for further work. I said "no way" on that one.

I'd be glad to answer anything that I can in order to help you feel more comfortable. Ask away
Unread 06-23-2004, 03:26 PM

Okay, thank you, I will. Here goes: Do I need to buy anything to prepare myself other than digging out the heating pad? I understand sometimes the gas is terrible. I'd like to be walking around as much as possible and since I am having my kitchen in the midst of a major remodel, I am sure I can stick my nose in and keep checking up on them. I definately do not want to be awake for this. You can probably feel the tugging and pulling and I can't stand that. Did you go home the same day? Also, did your doctor make you do bowel prep? Hate that! Well, if I think of anything else, I'll be sure to ask. Thanks again ladies! Jill
Unread 06-23-2004, 04:17 PM

Jill,
I've had many laps and I always had to have lab work done before the surgery. In fact, any time I've had surgery, lab work was a prequiste.

The only time I had to do a bowel prep was before the hyst and that was done abdominally. However, different doctors may have different requirements so that's a good question to ask your doctor.

Unread 06-23-2004, 04:28 PM

Jill,
I am four weeks post op from my lap hyst (took all except cervix) and it was done out patient. I was in at 11AM and home by 6PM. I had blood work done the day prior; no bowel prep. Had general anesthesia and was not given a choice if I wanted to be awake (which I would not!) I was given a go ahead to return to work part time after two weeks. Week three went back full time. I feel great but not ready to do jumping jacks yet!

The gas part is not fun the first week. So you'll probably want to invest in GasX. At week four it's non existent. I am still using Colace as a regular BM is difficult and I'm not really regular yet. (I still love my heating pad )

Good luck to you!
Unread 06-24-2004, 12:23 PM

No bowel prep with the laps, but nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before. But, docs being so different on these things, its best to ask yours so that you know what to expect.

Yes, went home same day. Had last lap at 7am and left hospital at 10:30am ....loved that nurse anesthetist.
Unread 06-24-2004, 12:56 PM

I had to do a bowel prep before the lap surgery too. My lap surgery was done out-patient so I went home the same day.

My "best friends" during recovery have been my heating pad and Gas-X.

Be sure to ask your doctor what your instructions are at your pre-op - doctors vary on their recommendations.

Unread 06-26-2004, 10:53 AM

hi there i had my surgery to remove right ovary and tube on the 18th of this month was supposed to be lap but after doc getting in there i ended up with full incesion, lots of scar tissue and adheasions had to remove 6 inches of intestine and do a bladder sling. feelin ok for the most part now still have lots of gas (very painful) i to use the gasx which provides some help. have over 200 stiches inside and 20 plus staples outside. had follow up appt thursday pulled major stomach muscle so add another 2 weeks to recovery. on vivelle-dot .1mg but find i do better without it. hope your surgery goes as planned and not like mine....sending you lots of 's. let us know how everything goes

kerri
tah/ 7/29/2002 left right ovary and tube
rso/ 6/18/2004

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register