Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy (LSH) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy (LSH) Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy (LSH)

Unread 06-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy (LSH)

My Sisters:

I'm still new here and this site is BEYOND! I am not comfortable discussing my female health with co-workers and due to other health issues (two bleeding disorders) any talk of surgery will totally frighten my friends and (other) relatives. So, I thank you all.

I'd like to keep my ovaries and cervix.

In the small bit of research I've done thus far, LSH may be a very good option for me as it's less invasive.

Has anyone had a Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy?

Heard about it? Recommended? Still Experimental? Drawbacks?

Is there a 'size limit' on the fibroids for this laproscopic surgery? For example, I have two fibroids that are 5.3cm and 5.8cm, perhaps larger. Too large for LSH?

If anyone can recommend any websites, article(s), info, PLEASE advise.

Yours in sisterhood,
Muharam in NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2004, 09:02 PM

Muharam,

I am 9 weeks post-op today from a LSH. I am VERY happy with my surgery results!!!

My 1st Dr. recommended a TAH due to the size of my fibroids. They were 8.5 and 6.5.

I got a 2nd opinion and he recommended a LSH after (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for surgery. They shrunk to a 8.3 and a 1. Sounds like you are close to that range right now. I have a LSH Hyster Friend and she had a total of 10 cm at surgery time.

I was a LSH candidate since I had a sturdy cervix and normal pap smears for years. Cervical cancer also does not run in my family.

My Dr. told me the advanatges of keeping my cervix were future ligament support and it helped with sex. Also, I read online that a LSH helps prevent future bladder problems. My bladder and colon are working better than they have in years. Also, I am pain-free from fibroids and no more Aunt Flow's.

In my research, it sounds like it is harder to find a LSH Dr. However, you are in New Jersey so you probably can find them there. LSH surgery is cutting edge and LSH Drs. need more medical training and lap equipment is more expensive. If you can find a qualified LSH Dr. you trust, jump on it!! I cannot go on about this surgery enough.

As you said, it is less evasive than a TAH. I had my LSH at an outpatient facility. I was walking around the day after surgery and I was back to work - slowly - at two weeks.

My surgery was done through two small hip incisions and my belly button. My Dr. also cauterized my cervix which helps prevent the "mini-period" you might have read about. I have had zero problem with bleeding.

I can suggest you go on the "search this forum" line on the pre and post op boards. Laparoscopic SupraCervical Hysterectomy Hyster Sister information will come up.

Hopefully, a hostess will post with some links for you too.

Good Luck!!
Unread 06-24-2004, 09:11 PM

P.S. I like your Winston Churchill quote. Did you see the HBO movie on him starring Albert Finney??

W.C. was an amazing man!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2004, 03:49 PM
LSH

Hi Hystersister:

I also had a LSH and I am happy I chose that procedure for my hysterectomy. Like the above post, I kept my ovaries and cervix.
I spent one night in the hospital went home the next day, resting and taking pain pills slowly building up my strenghth.

I went to a teaching hospital that also had a women's hospital for my surgery.

I feel wonderful, I had a large fibroid over 8cm, in addition to other multiple fibroids, and a large uterus.

I cannot believe the difference in my quality of life with out the bulk symptoms.

The decision is a long process to have a hysterectomy where one has to feel comfortable.

I am thankful for the a new lease on life.
Unread 06-25-2004, 05:47 PM

Here are some Resource links you may want to explore:

Frequently asked questions about Laparoscopic

Learning Curve in Laparoscopic Hysterectomy (Includes a chart of complication rates for LSH)

Live webcast of LSH

Hope this helps.

s
Unread 06-26-2004, 12:54 PM

Muharam,

I am 4 weeks, 2 days post op from LSH/BSO. I kept my cervix (no family history of cancer), but had ovaries taken (I'm 52).

Surgery was done as outpatient. I was in for surgery at 11AM and home at 6PM in my own bed! Off pain meds after day 3. Back to work part time on week three and fulltime at week four.

I had three fibroids.....one very small that was obstructed on ultrasound by two others.....9.5 cm and 6.5 cm . These had grown over a two year period by 3 cms each and nothing would stop them.

I sought four opinions which included TAH, LAVH, UFE and LSH. The dr I chose to do LSH was very experienced in the procedure and confident that while the fibroids were large he would be able to perform this successfully. He was 50/50 in his opinion (as was Dr #2) whether to proceed or "wait and see". One of my fibroids was pressing so much on my bladder, I had to visit the restroom every 20 minutes! Sleeping was non existent. I made the choice to forge ahead as I was fearful if they continued to grow, the LSH would not be an option for me any longer.

I feel great. I can't say enough about this surgery. I don't believe it is considered experimental. Unfortunately, most gyns tend to recommend the surgery they are most comfortable with. The LSH takes considerable skill and time to master. If you have decided on hyst, are a candidate for LSH and have an experienced LSH physician, this is a great option.

My best wishes to you in making your decision.
Unread 07-01-2004, 01:00 PM

I had one three years ago.
I waS very pleased.
My doc has done many of them.
I kept cervix and ovaries telling the doc to look at them and invastigate their health prior to leaving them if they looked bad he was going to take them as well.

I was basically good to go after three or four days.
Drove to my ten day appointment.

I feel if one is a candidate for that procedure it is the way to go.
More doctors are getting trained in it. Make sure your doctor has done many of them.

The worst part about the whole thing for me was the IV site and the sore arm it caused afterwards.
Unread 07-01-2004, 06:57 PM

I think it's a wonderful surgery. But, like said above, it takes SKILL. Often the doctor will want you to take Lupron to shrink the fibroids. If you don't mind taking this drug ( with possible side effects) then all you have to do is wait for the drug to work.
My brother just had his entire kidney removed this way and it was wonderful compared to the conventional surgery.
Best of luck,
Maralyn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register