Melanoma - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Melanoma

Careful you don't spend so much time checking out your moles and sunblock coverage that you get beaned in the head with a softball!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Melanoma

Lisa - when I was visiting with my urologist a couple of weeks ago, I told him cancer has a way of turning a normal healthy person into a hypochondriac! He chuckled and said it pays to be vigilant. My GYN said it usually mellows after the first two years. Those who haven't been through a cancer diagnosis simply don't understand. Keep checking your moles and applying that sunblock. I got toasted when I did my relay for life and I was appling 30 SPF frequently - still got a nasty sunburn on my shoulders, neck and legs.
Hang in there girl - it will be OK!
:-)
Jan
Unread 07-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Melanoma

Great news, Lisa!
You have inspired me to make my appointment with the derm for a skin check, which I haven't done in easily 2-3 YEARS! Way overdue to say the least. I have found the Banana Boat VitaSkin to be the most tolerable of the sunscreens. It has a light fragrance and does NOT feel like paste. They say anything over spf30 doesn't really make a difference, so I stick with that one. The regular Banana Boat sunscreens are unscented - and I mean nothing - so if you need to wear sunscreen without smelling like you just crawled in off the beach they are a good option.

Tkae care!
Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2004, 01:07 PM
melanoma

Hi Lisa! Haven't seen you for awhile, and wondering how your skin biopsy came out... Am sure you are busy, too, getting ready for your hyst... I had melanoma 2 years ago - caught early - and did fine with a large surgery to "get it all" and then last year had breast cancer - did fine with lumpectomy and extensive radiation... You have been in my prayers since you wrote about your upcoming hysterectomy and the possible melanoma surprise. Hang in there!
s
Mary
Unread 07-08-2004, 02:00 PM
thank you

Thanks to all of you for your concern, and for the wonderful replies to my post. I am happy to report that all is well -- I had my excision with larger margins yesterday and am feeling very fortunate to have a clean bill of health, basically, and a four-inch scar on my hip. I am SO surprised by the degree to which skin can stretch to cover an incision -- he removed what looked to me like a HUGE plug of skin, but the incision is very nice and straight and tidy!

My pathology report -- which I read thoroughly, being the hypochondriac that I am -- said the diagnosis is "probably" a spitz nevus. I started laughing like a madwoman -- "probably"? The doctor explained that pathologists err on the side of caution, if anything, and that he is entirely convinced the mole was benign ... but that taking extra margins is necessary as a precaution because a spitz nevus can clinically mimic melanoma.

SO ... on to my hysterectomy on Tuesday! The dermatologist called my gynecologist and asked her to simply remove the stitches next Thursday in the hospital, which will be much more convenient than having to visit the derm again while I'm recuperating. Thanks again and best wishes to all of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register