GenSurgeon or GYN/Onc for surger on Monday - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

GenSurgeon or GYN/Onc for surger on Monday GenSurgeon or GYN/Onc for surger on Monday

Unread 06-26-2004, 04:47 PM
GenSurgeon or GYN/Onc for surger on Monday

Hi Lori,

A little over two years ago, that was me!

At that time, my regular doctor told me straight out, "Rosalie, any surgeon can do a hysterectomy but if there is the slightest chance that cancer may be present, you definately want things done right the first time". With that he hooked me up with a fantanstic oncologist/gynocologist and I have been seeing him ever since. Unfortuately my diagnosis was ovarian cancer but thanks to him and his skillfullness, I have been great.

I really think that you owe it to yourself to see an oncologist/gynocologist. You really only get one chance at doing this correctly the first time.

Keep us informed.
Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2004, 06:08 PM

OMG thanks so much for all the wonderful responses!

I spoke with my GP today, due to my HMO insurance, he is the one that ordered the bloodwork and CT scan. He said that I should do whatever I'm comfortable with and that a one week wait or so, should be o.k.....but still, my mindset is get it out NOW.

Anyways, can any of you share with me your experiences on how the consult with the gyn/onc went for you. What I'm looking for I guess, is when u went thru this, how long from when you got referred till they saw you in the office then how long till surgery?

Again, i am so greatful for all of your help........
Unread 06-26-2004, 06:27 PM

Hi again Lori,

My doctor recommended my oncologist/gynocologist to me and he made the call and set up the appointment. I actually had an appointment within 3 days or maybe sooner. My oncologist/gynocologist set up the surgery which was two weeks later. However, within that time I had to have a colonscopy, echo cardiogram, and a stress test. The colonscopy was to make sure that nothing had possibly spread to the area and the rest were for surgical clearance.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2004, 08:07 PM

Hi Lori, It took 2 months for my insurance company to approve the gyn/ onc, but at my first appt he ordered and MRI and an ultra sound guided biopsy which i had the following week. I saw him a week after these tests to get the results and surgery was one week later. So from my original visit with the gyn/onc until surgery it took 3 weeks. It was a hard three weeks,but very worth it.
Unread 06-26-2004, 08:51 PM

I got my ultra sound results on a Friday and saw the gyn onc the following Tuesday. When I phoned for the appt on Friday, they asked me to fax my ultra sound to them. Which I did. They then returned my call and I had the appt that next Tuesday.

My story is a little unusual at this point. Further lab work was done and my platelets were found to be one million. Over twice what they should have been. I had to wait seven weeks while they searched for another primary cancer, which was never found.
Had they performed surgery while my platelet count was that high, I could have had a stroke.

The importance of seeing a gyn oncologist far outweighs the need to have surgery done Monday.

oxox karenann
Unread 06-27-2004, 12:03 PM

Again THANK YOU all so much for your support and advice.....

I've printed out all of your responses to my General Surgeon/Gyn-Onc dilemma, and we have decided to cancel the surgery with my GYN and general surgeon scheduled for tommorow (Monday)

Your posts meant so much to me, even though my first reaction is to get this big thing "out " of me, I know in my heart that the advice you have given me is the best plan.

So, armed at the telephone at 8:00 a.m......i'll be asking the GYN to refer me, but I want to start on the phones at 8:00 a.m. and plead my case and see who is the first GYN/ONC who can see me. Thanks for the info, i found 9 gyn/onc in the Indianapolis area, which is only a little over an hour drive for me.

I'm being optimistic here, hoping i can be seen by Tuesday and have surgery by Friday....i girl can hope, eh?

Love and hugs to all of you for your support.....my eyes are tearing up now if that tells u anything.

P.S. My mother had a friend call me last night who had stage 4 ovarian in 1998....still doing good.....made me feel a lot better

Love to all............
Unread 06-27-2004, 12:09 PM

Lori,
I am so glad you made this decison! I hope your phone calls get you a skilled compassionate Dr. Please keep us posted.
Unread 06-27-2004, 05:37 PM

Thanks again for all of your support.

I really am at peace with the decision to cancel the surgery tommorow. I told my mother today:

If i let the general surgeon and my gyn do the surgery and I did not have a good result, I would kick myself.

If i have the gyn/onc do the surgery and I don't have a good result, at least I know I did everything possible.

Thanks again for all of your advice.
Unread 06-27-2004, 06:29 PM

Hi Lori,

I am glad that you took our advice. Lets face it...so many women in one organization, thinking the same way, cannot possible be wrong!!

Please let us know how you make out.

Rosalie
Unread 06-27-2004, 06:31 PM

Have you had a CA-125 done? And a CT?

I would guess that your gyn's office could get you in faster than you could yourself, or try the referral line at the University hospital.

In my mom's case, time from ca-125 and ct to OR was about 2 weeks - one of which was her choice (3 days is about the minumum required for prep and blood work)

In my case, was on a watch and wait routine as I had no ovarian pathology but just an elevated ca-125. Once it went up (right before x-mas), my gyn-onc scheduled the surgery for the day he came back from vacation - Jan 2 - about 2 weeks

My DH had a case here where a patient of his visited 2 gyn oncs to chose between them and still had her surgery within 2 weeks (thank g-d her tumor was not cancer)

Armed with the proper test results - these guys move fast.

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register