GenSurgeon or GYN/Onc for surger on Monday - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

GenSurgeon or GYN/Onc for surger on Monday GenSurgeon or GYN/Onc for surger on Monday

Unread 06-27-2004, 06:31 PM
GenSurgeon or GYN/Onc for surger on Monday

s Lori

Smart move Lori!!!
I have a feeling this mass is benign, but a gyn onc is still the way to go.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2004, 07:08 PM

This all happened so fast. I'm in an HMO, so went to my PCP on Tuesday regarding my symptoms. Had a CA level (?) blood draw on Wednesday and a CT scan on Thursday. PCP called me in Friday a.m. with results. The CA level (not a CA125) was 5.5. Slightly elevated he said (5.0 would be normal).

CT scan result should a tumor the size of a softball on my right ovary. Then went to my GYN that afternoon (friday) who did a pelvic and pap smear. He had already called ahead to the lab and asked them to run the CA125 off of my blood speciman already in the lab. He says this would be a better indicator.

Both drs. have told me that it does appear to be cancer based on the CT results.

I'm so hoping to get in soon and get this surgery over with!!
Unread 06-27-2004, 09:21 PM

My GYN called a few minutes ago to verify my surgery time for tommorow. I took the opportunity to explain to him why I wanted to be referred to a GYN/ONC. I felt kind of bad, but he said he understood.

He is going to call in the morning and refer me to a GYN/ONC in Indianapolis. It is the same when Jeanine uses.

He says he should be able to get me in within 1 or 2 days.

Thanks again for all of your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2004, 10:59 PM

Lori,
I am so glad you did this, and don't feel bad. I am sure your Dr would have wanted a gyn/onc if it was his wife facing surgery. I am sure he must be a good Dr if Jeanine goes to him. I hope you are feeling more at ease,now that you have made this decision.
Let us know when your appt is
Unread 06-28-2004, 03:49 PM

I also recommend a GYN oncologist. I was diagnosed with Stage 3a ovarian cancer Sept. 2003.

I just read an article in The Orlando Sentinel yesterday (6/27/04) that stated that "ovarian cancer patients treated by experienced surgeons typically live two to three times longer than those whose initial surgeries were performed by low-volume surgeons" (The Orlando Sentinel, 6/27/04, pG6).

I saw my primary MD on a Friday (I felt the mass in my abdomen. CT scan Sunday, results of CT scan Mon., and appt GYN oncologist Thurs Sept 18, 2003. My CA-125 was 209 before surgery. I had a TAH/BSO 9/26/03. I finished chemo 3/23/04. CA-125 17 (normal < 35) and CT scan clear in April, so I am in remission. Please feel free to ask me any questions. Good luck. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Stephanie in Florida
Unread 06-28-2004, 05:37 PM

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement Stephanie.

I am so glad you had a good result. I am going to post an update on everything that happened today on a new thread in just a few minutes.

How was chemo for you?
Unread 06-28-2004, 05:42 PM

congratulations Stephanie!!

Your whirlwind story sounds very similair to mine and you are 100% correct about having the right doctor perform your surgery.

I am a little over two years past surgery for ovarian cancer and also doing very well.

Be Well.
Rosalie
Unread 06-28-2004, 05:54 PM

Basketnut,

I am soo glad you listened to us!! If I hadn't found this site I would have gone into a laparscopy surgery in 2 weeks for removal of a complex cyst. My CT is high and I have a family history. Can you believe they didn't even suggest an oncologist????:burning: You can not let these doctors just assume they can handle it. Now I realize that thousands of women get cysts which are nothing but if there is even a chance that it might be cancer we owe it to ourselves to get to the right doctor.
I am so glad I fought the military to get to a gyn/oncologist!!
I hope we both turn out to be cancer free. Let us know how it goes! I'm praying for all my hystersisters

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register