anemia and edema...2and1\2 years post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anemia and edema...2and1\2 years post-op anemia and edema...2and1\2 years post-op

Unread 06-26-2004, 08:13 PM
anemia and edema...2and1\2 years post-op

I am having trouble with anemia still. Pre-op it was obvious that it was being caused by the severe bleeding of endometriosis and my very enlarged uterus...now what is it? I have had my colon and my stomach checked and pretty pictures taken. The doctor is going to use one of those capsule cameras to check my small intestine for the first time, and the whole gastro-intestinal tract again. The anemia is pretty severe and the doctor (hemotologist this time around) feels there is some bleeding going on somewhere. Though my hysterectomy cleaned me out pretty thouroughly, could it be related to that? The edema is a bugger too. I sometimes gain 6 pounds or so just from water weight, but the diuretics give me severe leg cramps and also cramp up my stomach on occasion...I'm afraid of the diuretics...the heart is a muscle and if my legs can cramp up like that, could it do a number on my heart, too?
And mainly, are these two symptoms related? Does anyone have an idea? My internist...the one who gives me the meds for edema is not too helpful, and just wants me to continue the diuretics that are giving me the cramps (which are severe, by the way). The hematologist is giving me a complete workup, but I'm wondering if I should get back to my gyno. She, at my last meeting with her, told me she thought the gynecological problems were over. I am having my breasts checked out every 6 months...because of the drugs I was on for endo...and now the premarin.
I'll appreciate your input.
Hang in there, sisters!
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2004, 10:18 PM

Oh ((((Sue)))) I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time I really don't know what could be causing the anemia Hopefully, someone will come along with some insight.

Regarding your reaction to the diurectics, your symptoms most likely are a result of a potassium deficiency. When we eliminate a lot of water, one of the thing that gets depleated is potassium. Usually, when you're on diurectics for a while, doctors recommend an uptake of potassium rich foods (such as bananas and grapefruits). At least, I know that's what my dad's doctor did when he was on diuretics due to a heart condition. Here's a link to a thread in Hysteritaville that discusses this very issue: Potassium!!

Sending lots of s your way. Hopefully, you'll find some answers real soon. Please do keep us posted.
Unread 06-28-2004, 09:19 AM

(((Sue)))

Sorry you are dealing with these issues. I don't have a clue about the anemia either. Can just offer you s on that one.

Unfortunately, I am dealing with edema right now too. I am taking Lupron injections for return of endo and my docs (GP and Gyn) think it is a contributing factor. Of course, I have a history of hypertension to begin with which doesn't help. I agree with Dany, that you might be dealing with a potassium issue. My doc put me on Lasix 20 mg 1x daily on Friday and also have me a potassium supplement. That being said, it isn't safe to increase your potassium without your doctor's supervision. You can OD on potassium too. So, please discuss this with your doctor!

Is it pedal edema that you are referring to or edema elsewhere? What diuretic are you taking? Mine is mostly pedal edema but my legs and abdomen do swell some too. I was retaining 6+lbs of water last week so, I know how uncomfortable that is. I hope you find resolution on both issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2004, 11:41 AM

I had anemia as a child, & it got worse with my periods.

I always wondered if the anemia wsn't related to my Rh negative blood type. My son had anemia as a baby also. He seems to be fine since then.

Different blood types absorb proteins & etc in different ways.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register