baggie over cyst during laparoscopy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

baggie over cyst during laparoscopy? baggie over cyst during laparoscopy?

Unread 06-27-2004, 05:46 PM
baggie over cyst during laparoscopy?

Anyone ever here of this? I went to the GYN that the base referred me too because of a 4cm complex cyst. I told him my cancer concerns and that it is in my family. The GYN wants to do laparoscopy sugery in 2 weeks to remove it and says that he can put a baggy over it so nothing spills during surgery and then if it's positive foe cancer he will refer me to an oncologist. Any thoughts? It's really hard because I look like I'm really paranoid about a cyst but if it is bad then don't they have to go in a second time to remove everything? I'm frustrated that my GYN wouldn't refer me to an oncologist for his opionion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2004, 06:15 PM

Are you on insurance that you can't go and get an opinion from a gyn/onc yourself?

If that is true I would insist to the doctor to give you a referal, tell him it isn't him, but you would just rather have a gyn/onc do the surgery for your own piece of mind.

God Bless
Unread 06-27-2004, 07:26 PM

Hello Known2b,
You will have to get a referral from your Gyn are your primary care manager to see a Onc. If you can't get them to do it then go to your patient rep on base. They should be able to help you.Tricare will pay for it. You are entitled to a second opionion and I would get it. I had a OBgyn at Ft.Stewart do a Hyst. on me and he took my uterus out in pieces . I am not trying to scare you but I had cancer in a fibroid and he could of very well have made it spread. The pathologist report came back that the fibroid was intact . I got lucky. If it had been a ONc doing my surgery this wouldn't of happened and I would of had everything removed. I still have my ovaries. Obgyn are not trained usually in uterine cancers. This is what my ob told me when He gave me the referral to see the Ob/onc. Take Care and I hope this helps! s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2004, 07:52 PM

I also have a complex ovarian cyst.....My Ob/Gyn was a little concerned as my ca125 was high also...which also can be shown as a false positive ...especally with wpman that have Endo, which I have. Anyhow she referred me to a Oncoligist and he will be assisting at my surgery, just in case. I had to wait a bit (my surgery is july 28th) but I feel better with both of them there.
I would ask to be referred and be FIRM about it! I'am sure you'll be fine, but its your body and just to be sure get an opinion from a Onc.
My thoughts and prayers~ Bobbi
Unread 06-27-2004, 08:32 PM

I just realized that I posted to the wrong person! SORRY known2be! I meant to post to Kay123.
Unread 06-28-2004, 04:42 AM

s Kay

I am so sorry to read about your difficulty with the military gyn.
If I were you, I would continue to push for a gyn oncologist to do the surgery. My own gyn/oncologist, at a major cancer center, does not biopsy an ovary through a laproscope. She insists upon the complete removal of the ovary for biopsy purposes.
Can you possibly get the referral from your primary care doc?

karenann
Unread 06-28-2004, 08:22 PM
kay123

Hello, this time last year I also was told that I had a complex cyst, mine was 8 cm though, the Dr. also told me that he would do the baggie thing during my lapo, but there was a small chance that he would have to do a bikini cut, well when I awoke from my lapo surgery, my DR. was standing by me and told me he did the bikini cut. 3 days later he told me I had a borderline tumor, and 3 days after that in his office I was told that I had to have a radical hysterectomy with staging..... I was in shock to say the least. In the meantime I got a really bad infection in my incision, and was hospitalized another 5 days for that, I wasn't given any antiobotics after my surgery until the infection was in full force.After that I was sent to a
GYN-ONC, if I had only seen him first I would have been sparred a lot of suffering.
I would suggest to you to seek the advice of an GYN-ONC. Before your surgery. To avoid having to go through 2 surgeries like I had to go through within 5 months. They would have done them 6 weeks apart but I was having complications with my heart, which seemed to be triggered by the infection. Best of luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register