2 weeks post-op and still need pain meds? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post-op and still need pain meds? 2 weeks post-op and still need pain meds?

Unread 06-29-2004, 10:40 AM
HELP-2 weeks post-op and still need pain meds?

Hi - I'm 30 yrs old and 2 weeks and 1 day out of surgery. I had a LAVH and am finding that I'm still having a lot of internal pains. I'm almost afraid to call my doctor for a refill on my pain medication because I'm not sure I should still be having so much trouble. I saw him last week and he gave me a new prescription for 20 percocet and I don't see him again until Thursday, July 8. I have a 9 yr old and a 4 yr old, and am a single parent, so I've kind of been forced to still maintain my household on my own doing all the normal chores (laundry, cleaning, cooking) that I had to do prior to surgery, but I'm worried about the holiday weekend. I have plans to take my kids to a fair and then a beach for fireworks the following day and I know that I'll be overdoing it with all the walking and activities but I can't cancel and am afraid of asking my doctor for a new prescription. Although he prescribes them in small quantities, I'm afraid to ask for me and yet afraid of being in pain too. Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2004, 11:55 AM
2 weeks post-op and still need pain meds?

You are doing really well and at two weeks it is not unusual to still be on pain meds. Dont try and be superwoman or a matryr to your pain, we have all done it but why?

Dont overdo it and pace yourself with the chores that you must do.

Drink and rest and if you need it take the pain medication.

We all heal differently and each operation must be different so dont worry. If your pain is still overbearing however and you have a high fever then go to your doctor as soon as you can.

Looby

Unread 06-29-2004, 11:56 AM

Please don't be afraid to call the doctor--he needs to be aware that you are in pain. Also if you are doing the household chores and tending a 4 year old you are probably not receiving enough rest. I know that is difficult under your circumstances. Is there anyone that can help you? If nothing else can you have someone do the household chores for you? You may take a longer time to heal if you cannot rest and take good care of yourself.

Hugs and Prayers,
Valerie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2004, 12:02 PM

Pinkdolphin,

It sounds like you are doing too much too soon after your surgery. There are a lot of stitches and incisions that need to heal and this takes time.

I can understand your needing to do everything that you need to do being a single parent. Is there anyone that can come help you out? Sometimes right after surgery we have to close our eyes to the house getting messy and dirty.

The 9yr old might be able to help you with laundry and some chores around the house. You could always reward with a treat.

It takes about 6 weeks to heal initially and up to a year fully.

Please rest and not lift heavy things or vacuum until released by dr.

Check with your dr if you are having pain.

I hope you feel better soon

s
Unread 06-29-2004, 12:29 PM

Pinkdolphin

I agree, I think you are trying to do a bit much...I'm just north of you in New Hampshire and weather report says Sunday the 4th could be "mostly cloudy"...

You will have pain, don't worry! This is normal.

It's only just past two weeks for you. You might have a good day, then a bad day, it comes and goes. Just try to really rest hard between activities, you only have one chance to heal right.
Unread 06-29-2004, 12:34 PM

Hi
We have the same surgery day, and heck yeah it's normal to still have pain. I'm still taking some pain meds (although lots less than I was).

I agree with the other ladies....too much too soon could impede your healing as well.

Northlights
Unread 06-29-2004, 01:28 PM

I'm three weeks post-op tah though my V doesn't hurt from those sticthes I still hurt. I have four small children at home and my husband works all day so I'm left to do it with no help either.

I've been frustrated that I'm not doing more since I have the summer off with my kids. When I feel energic and do things I pay the next day or two but than am right back at it. I did take the kids to the zoo yesterday. All went well til my 19mo. old wanted only me to carry him back to the car. Now I'm suffering today.

Heeling is frustating to me for being so slow. I thought since this was preventative for me I'd bouce right back.

Don't hesitate to call for meds. Do it before the weekend so if you need it you have it. You are not a whimp with pain. You'll suffer if you don't. My dr. keeps saying this because all I wanted after surgery was motrin and that's all I've taken. She tells me she will give me more even now.

Take at easy. Enjoy your weekend being as safe and pain free as you can.

Autum
Unread 06-29-2004, 01:37 PM

I was just able to reduce my pain meds 2 weeks after surgery - I was taking 2 Vicodin every 6 hours, and 600Mg Motrin every 6 hours, staggered so I was getting something every 3 hours. I am now down to 1 Vicodin, sometimes 2 when I'm really hurting, along with the Motrin.

At almost 3 weeks, I am still sleeping until 10am or so, and taking 1 or 2 2-3 hour naps throughout the day. Going to bed about 10 or 11pm. I feel pretty darned good when I've got energy.

I cannot imagine having to take care of the house and kids right now. I give you a LOT of credit, but don't try to be superwoman. When someone says "please let me know if I can do anything" - let them know what they can do, whether it's making dinner or vacuuming the house. I had to ask a friend to come over and help clean up where the kitty peed on the the carpet - now THAT's a friend!

And I cannot imagine taking the kids to a fair. Is someone going with you that can attend the kids while you sit and rest? Please don't try to do it yourself - I got worn out today just driving across town and getting a new cell phone. I guess the fireworks wouldn't be as exhausting.

Please take care of yourself! As you've heard many times, you only have one chance to heal right.

Esme
Unread 06-29-2004, 01:51 PM

Thanks to all that have posted so far. My best friend is supportive, but with 2 children of her own and working full time, she can't offer much more than emotional support - not to mention that she's moving 1/2 way across the country from me I'm going to have to call the dr before the weekend to make sure that I have pain meds on me at all times to ensure that I'm not suffering so much. Believe me - I really wish I had people to call or ask for help from, but I don't. I saw my dr last week and will have to see him again next week, but not sure if he'll feel I over-used my medication. He prescribed 20 percocets last week. The bottle said it was a 5-day supply, but I hadn't supplemented with motrin. I didn't think I should mix meds and dr never suggested to. Now I feel uncomfortable having to call and ask for me pain meds and what I should tell him. After the surgery, he didn't seem like it was such a big deal anymore and got the impression that once I'd been gutted the problem should be solved. I'd been having the hot flashes and crying at the drop of a dime and when he saw me he took out my stiches at the navel incision and said to come back in 2 weeks to chat.
Unread 06-30-2004, 02:47 AM

Hang in there sister. I wish I could help you and make it better for you. Maybe your doctor can prescribe something else for your pain.

Big

Looby

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register