questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-29-2004, 03:21 PM
questions

Hi everyone,
I hope you don't mind me posting a message here. I don't have cancer..that I know of. But was wondering if any of you knew how hereditary cancer is? My Urologist says NO! but what does he know, he is only about 30 yrs old.

My grandfather died from Bladder cancer in 1973, and I am having severe bladder problems. I was just diagnosed with Interstitial Cysititis. And I am scared its going to get worse, or my Urologist missed something during surgery.

I've been to other sites, but no one can really answer me. It just seems like so many ailiments my relatives had some how transpired to me. My grandma had one kidney, and I only have one kidney. Now this bladder disease...and like I said Grandpa had bladder cancer.

Well any comments or expeirences would be great....Yooperchic

****sorry for all the spelling errors..been under alot of stress lately.... :hair:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2004, 04:27 PM
questions

Hi there

i just visited my gyn/onc for a complete history today. Told her my grandfather had bladder cancer, and she said that it almost never occurs in females....hope this helps
Unread 06-29-2004, 04:32 PM
questions

Hello I know some cancers do run in families. My father died from colon cancer so that puts me and my siblins at risk so we have to be checked every so often for polups and such. Cancers can be herditary that is why doctors give you that little questionaire to fill out on family history. I wouldn't panic if I were you but I would get a second opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2004, 05:21 PM
questions

Can't say I know much about bladder cancer but here's what little I can share. Bladder cancer is STRONGELY associated with smoking. Other predisposing factors are chronic irritation or bladder stones. I'm not aware of it being hereditary per se, but maybe the predisposing factors run in families, eg the tendency to get stones ro cystitis.

Good bladder habits include not smoking, flushing it out by being a good water drinker and not letting your bladder get way too full before emptying.

This is on the subject of bladders (sort of) but way off the subject of cancer. I'll share because I think many of you will get some insight. I was talking to a recovering crack addict once and she was able to describe her battle with her addiction in a way I could understand. She said in trying to get/stay clean, "It's like having to pee really bad. You want to think about something else (crack) but it stays uncomfortable and at the front of your mind." Okay. I can relate to that feeling. Interesting, I thought.

Sorry to get off subject. Someone else have something to say about bladder cancer?
Unread 06-29-2004, 06:15 PM
questions

Hi, there!
My advice is to seek genetic counseling. They are the professionals most qualified to assess your risk and answer any questions you may have about your family history.

My genetic counselro has been invaluable to me and has gone the extra mile to help me when my Dr. needed a little kick in the pants.

If you have a teaching hospital in the area, I would start there - also, your gyn or gyn/onc may be able to refer you - that's how I found mine.

Good Luck!
Jo
Unread 06-29-2004, 08:04 PM
questions

Regardless of your doctor's age, I am sure that he has read many studies about bladder cancer. If he says that researchers haven't found any heretidary connections then there is a good chance that it doesn't run in families. Some cancers run in families, some don't. I don't think Bladder cancer does in run in families. I've heard of breast and ovarian being hereditary in a small percentage of cases, but have not heard of other cancers running in families. Why not do a google search?

Best,
Janie

I just remembered, my father had bladder cancer 25 years ago. He's fine, at age 85, no other cancers. The doctor said it was likely due to his smoking and was not hereditary. No one else in our family has ever had any cancer, other than me, and one aunt. No bladder cancers.
Unread 06-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks!!!

Thank you to everyone who sent a reply. I really appreciate it, more then you will ever know.

I never did think to search online about it being hereditary. It just never crossed my mine. I guess surfing the internet daily didnt trigger my brain...lol

I did get a call from Mayo clinic in Minnesota today. They set my appointment up to see one of the doctors in early August. So I will be sure to ask her all the most valuable questions I need answered...like the cancer question....

Thanks again, and I will keep you girls updated......Yooperchic

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register