I need help making a decision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need help making a decision I need help making a decision

Unread 06-29-2004, 06:06 PM
I need help making a decision

Hello sisters
I want to thank everyone of you for being so supportive to me every since I came onto this site. You have truly been a blessing.
My disability papers said I would return to work on July 5th. That is next Tuesday. I need to tell my Dr. tomorrow at my appt. if I am ready or not. I still have a 2inch opening in my incision that is very slow to heal. I had a very bad week last week with crying spells and alot of emotional issues at my appt. I have been experiencing these feelings for weeks. My dr. put me on zoloft to help me. I have terrible anxiety. I don't sleep at all during the day and only manage a very few hours at night. He said he would be very willing to fill out more papers to extend my disability if I needed more time. He also said the open incision is reason enough to be off. I feel guilty not going back to work at 8 weeks, but at the same time I worry about my incision. I have a very physical demanding job. Whenever I think about what should I do, I feel nauseous.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.My emotions and lack of sleep seem to get the best of me.
THANK YOU ALL!!
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2004, 06:11 PM

If you are not ready, I see no reason why you should go back. I would say that an open incision would be enough. If you go back now when you are not emtionally or physically ready, you will make it even worse on your body.

My doctor insisted that I take 10 weeks. I had it approved with work, and I do not feel guilty. We have the rest of our lives to work and make money.

Hope you feel better soon! Good luck tomorrow.
Unread 06-29-2004, 06:15 PM

Peggy, dedication to ones work is an admirable quality. I'm sure since you have this guilt about not returning that you have already well proved your loyalty to your employer. Please, take the time you need to heal ! I'm afraid if you don't you will only be in for more complications and a longer overall healing time, which will lead to even more time off...... I know being off work in itself can be stressful (I'm hoping you still have benefit time so that you won't have further stress of not getting paid) but your health is number one! Please take care of you, and the rest will hopefully fall into place!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2004, 06:37 PM

Please take the time to heal, we only get one chance remember?
I will be 10 weeks also and feel guilty, but my body won't cooperate with me, rest and wait it out, you will feel better each extra week.
Hugs and heal well
mary
Unread 06-29-2004, 07:14 PM

Please do not let a sense of guilt make you ignore what your body needs. If you go back too soon and have a setback you'll be out even longer. Give yourself a while longer to heal.
Unread 06-29-2004, 07:26 PM

Peggy
I don't think your doctor will say you are ready to return to work with a two inch opening in your incission..that could possibly open it up more or risk infection.
And how much good would you be to your job if God forbid either of those things happend? You could be laid up for alot longer than it will take to heal from the point you're at now.
So do not feel guilty about not returning at 8 weeks..Take whatever time your body needs to mend.
Unread 06-29-2004, 07:27 PM

MtDewPeg

I agree with the other ladies. Your body has a way of telling you if you are ready to do your everyday things or not. As you are saying......your body is trying to tell you that you are not emotionally nor physically ready to return to work as of yet. Give yourself another couple of weeks or so. Work can manage without you!!! Your Family cannot manage without you. Work is a material thing....if they don't like it, it can be replaced! I know it sounds harsh, and I apologize about that, but you need to think about your health and your body first!!!

Take Care.....and Heed to what your body is telling you!!

Alle
Unread 06-29-2004, 08:00 PM

i just started back full time and i work in my house. i don[t even have a commute. i started doing three or four hours a day and did that for a few weeks. it really helped to start slow like that. maybe part time is an option?
Unread 06-30-2004, 12:38 AM

Thanks for your opinions ladies. I know I should probably stay off a while longer. I will just wait and see what my dr. has to say today. I'm sure I'll feel better about this situation after I talk to him. I have always been one of those people who take their jobs seriously and don't call in unless absolutely necessary. I am not used to being off so long. I work in a mental institution and probably couldn't handle it right now physically or emotionally.
Lack of sleep is getting to me. It is 2:30 am. I slept for 3 hours after taking ambiem and can't sleep now.
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register