remove ovaries or go straight to chemo? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

remove ovaries or go straight to chemo? remove ovaries or go straight to chemo?

Unread 06-30-2004, 03:08 PM
remove ovaries or go straight to chemo?

Hi wonderful girls and ladies,
Im a fresh one, Im 34, recently diagn with endometrial cancer (3/29). Had a radical hysterectomy May10, 50 lymph nds removed-of which 3 were positive. My diagnosis pre-op was not certain (path and radiology hedging btw/n endometrial and cervical) so my partner (of 6 yrs) and I decided to leave ovaries. Its an issue of fertility as Ive not had children yet and have always wished to. Now that the diagnosis has been locked to Stage III endometrial, the doctors are recommending nothing other than, you know, getting the ovaries out. Im also beginning a chemo regimen of carboplatin and paclitaxel, IV every 3 wks for total of 6 x, to start immediately following the laparoscopy to remove the ov's (which is scheduled in less than a week)--and partner and I are still not sitting right with it. I dont want to have them out! I am having such a difficult time with the loss of fertility (and going into menopause, etc but mostly the fertility). ANYone out there have any personal thoughts or words of wisdom in regards to being smart about your treatment options for a newly diagnosee? ? Also, chemo instead of removing ovaries? (oh, -ovaries appear healthy-no sign of disease...the removal would be preventative)
THANK you,
michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2004, 05:39 PM

Hi Michelle

I had my hyst in 2001 for adeno. I was 40 at the time. I told my GYN that if my ovaries looked o.k. I wanted to keep them. He agreed.

Fertility was not an issue since I already had 2 grown children. However, here I sit awaiting surgery this Friday to remove a softball size ovarian tumor with a CA125 of over 2000.

It truly is a personal decision that you should thing long and hard about........i don't envy you......i hope you find peace with whatever you decide.

Best of luck....
Unread 06-30-2004, 06:59 PM

s Michele

I am very sorry you are going through this at such a young age.
However, I would strongly recommend that you follow the advice of your doctors. And I hope you are seeing a gyn oncologist?
Perhaps a second opinion may help. There is also a chance that chemotherapy will force you into an early menopause.
Best wishes to you.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2004, 07:18 PM

Forgive me for being personal, but was your plan then to find a surrogate to carry a pregnancy for you using your eggs? If that's the case, is there any way they can harvest any of your eggs for later use?

Also, you might like to inquire what effect the chemo will have on your ovaries--it might shut them down, or the drugs may impact the health of the eggs for future fertility anyway.

And of course, there's always the option for adoption. Your health is going to come first right now. Talk to your docs, find out your best course of action to beat this cancer, and then once you're cancer-free you can start working on a family.

I'm with Karenann--I am hoping that you are under the care of a gyn/onc at this time?

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.

Unread 07-01-2004, 10:43 AM

Hi,
I am sorry that you are going through such trouble at such an early age. But, your health is very important and if your docs think the ovaries should come out I think i would go along with it. And, trying to harvest some of your eggs is an excellant idea if it is possible. No matter what is possible, you and your health must come first or you may not be arond to care for any children you may have in the future. Good luck to you and god bless you.

Love, Sally

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register