Ovarian surgery ? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian surgery ? Ovarian surgery ?

Unread 07-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Ovarian surgery ?

Many ers to you! I go in today to see my onc about my ovarian mass. I'm hoping it's nothing but they really do not know until they operate.
I hope your is nothing but a cyst!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Hi Lori,

I had my TAH/BSO on January 14,2004 for ovarian cancer. I was fine (hormonally) for about three months and then I started getting hot flushes, night sweats and just not feeling right. The night time was the worst because I'd get a night sweat about every 5 minutes. Once I'd dried up, I'd get chills and then it was time for another night sweat! I resorted to taking sleeping pills every couple of nights just so I could sleep. I had alot of vaginal dryness and painful sex ( I tried lubricants but it didn't quite do it for me). I was irritable and felt as if my mind was in a fog for the most part. I had horrible headaches, finally I asked my oncologist what I could take to help. He just recently (June 15) prescribed Estrace (a natural estrogen), he told me I couldn't take synthetic hormones because of the cancer.He also said I'd take the estrace for a short period of time and since I'm being followed up every three months I should be OK. Every woman is different ...I'm trying different things to help myself. I take evening primrose, vitamin E, calcium + Vit D, and a multivitamin. I try to limit my refined sugars, alcohol, caffeine and chocolate because I noticed these things triggered my hot flashes. I still get maybe one flash a day and hardly get any night sweats anymore...and I feel more like myself. I wouldn't worry about your hormones right now...just think of your recuperation after the surgery. Take it easy when you get back home and take all the time you need to heal. You'll figure out what to do about the hormones later on ..you may not need them! You may be lucky and have no or few effects. I wish you good luck Friday. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how it goes whenever you'll be up to it.
Unread 07-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks for your reply

Lori,
Thanks for your reply (Perks for Chemo/Hyster).
I will be praying for you tomorrow.
I didn't have hormone trouble for the first month... now it is here. But there are worse things than a little sweat!!
I hope all goes well for you. Please post again to say how your surgery goes.
I collect baskets too!
-Sus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Ovarian surgery ?

basketnut,

I had always viewed menopause as a natural thing - then I went into 'surgical' - or as I prefer to call it: 'instant' menopause after my hysterectomy.

Really no problems, but it was due to my mind set - I think. I chose not to do HRT, but will never say never on that, but, for the time being, am not on it.

As one 'older' woman said to me today, when she reached menopause, she was just too busy to have hot flashes. And, I agree. Not that I haven't had them at times!

But, what is of concern to me are some recent studies that have linked - tenuously? - HRT to increasing risk of developing dementia down the road.

Take care.
Unread 07-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Ovarian surgery ?

Hi Lori,

I just wanted to send you lots of good wishes for tomorrow. Although it is over two years ago, I can remember my night before surgery like it was yesterday.

As usual, Karenann, has sent you lots of good advice. Try not to think soo far ahead. All will be fine.

Think of it this way, you can now wear white or whatever color clothing you want without any more fears of possibly staining.
I used to always have my period at every family gathering, party, wedding, etc.. Now I never have to worry about it anymore!!!

Will talk to you in a few days.

Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register