Breeds? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Breeds?

I have 3 shelties --- a momma and her two sons.
Everywhere we go everyone says how beautiful our "collies" are -- DH and I just smile ( we get tired of telling people Shelties are a breed of their own).

I love them for their intelligence, personality and loyalty!

Loved Lassie as a kid, and always wanted one, but fell in love with the shelties' size and personality.

Have no preference on male or female -- all of mine are sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2004, 06:00 AM
Breeds?

Although I love just about any breed, I have to say I have a preference for Labs and Border collies. I think Labs are very loyal and border collies are so eager to please and hard workers. Currently we own a female lab/border collie (and possibly dalmation) mix. We adopted her from the shelter about 5 years ago. Her age is estimated at about 6. What a great find she was!
I will only have female dogs. I don't like male dog "behavior". (for lack of a better term). Although I don't "hate" male dogs or anything. It's just my preference.
My dog weighs almost 100 pounds! She needs to lose 10-20! Can you say "SPOILED"?
Unread 07-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Breeds?

I have 2 retired racing grehounds, one male, one female. Greyhounds are the fastest couch potaoes of the dog world, and they take retirement seriously.

I love greyhounds because they have an unparallelled sweetness, are VERY clean (they clean themselves like cats), are not hyper at all, and are the most low-maintenance breed I've ever encountered.

Although I don't believe that greyhound racing is morally right, I can't help but reap the benefits of these former racers when they leave the track.

Each gender has its benefits, and both are fixed to help reduce the unwanted pet population in this country. My girl is pristine, a little aloof, gives lots of kisses, and welcomes everyone with an insane butt dance. My boy is a velcro dog...follows me everywhere, cuddles up as if he were a lap dog, does really goofy sit and spin routines, and is a fun-lovin guy.

I think they're the best and can't brag enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Smile - Breeds? Breeds?

I am owned by two pug dogs. My two and a half year old boy is named Raisin, and my 5 month old girl is named Molly.

Raisin is having surgery tomorrow to repair a livershunt. Send him good thoughts so they can collect around him and make him well!
Unread 07-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Breeds?

Quote:
Originally posted by rojoju
Greyhounds are the fastest couch potaoes of the dog world, and they take retirement seriously.
That is sooooooo TRUE!!!!! Years & years ago we also had a retired greyhound. She had a long racing name but we shortened it to Angel. She was very loyal.
She would hop up on the loveseat, roll over, and lay on her back for hours....just snoozing away! LOL

Now I have 2 dogs.
Teeto - chihuahua - 7 years old - male
Candy - pekingese mixed with ? - almost 1 year old - female

....and one kitty named Nikko; he is 1 & 1/2 years old. - male

surferbabe......We had a full-blooded lab one time and she did NOT like water. LOL

male...female....doesn't matter to me.

If I had to pick only dogs or cats for the rest of my life, it would be cats.
Unread 07-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Breeds?

I have two 's Jada,(Boxer & Rotwiler mix). Jada will be Three yrs. old in Sept. My former neighbor gave her to my family when Jada was eight months old. Our other dog name is Julie. Julie,(Brindel Lab), she was a stray. Julie had no tags on her. We tried to find the owner. come to find out the owner was just a few houses down from where I live. She told my son we could keep her Julie, turned one in May. Jada & Julie are a real joy to our family!!

Patty
Unread 07-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Breeds?

border collies...can't get enough of them. If I could have a million I would. I've had several breeds before but I don't think I"ll ever own anything other than a border collie again.

currently my 2 year old bc adn I are on a flyball team which is so much fun. we don't get to run in a tournament until next season though. This bc's name is boston and she's like a rocket. she looks more like a black and white fox than a dog. she is extremely skinny, I call her skinny minney and she never stops talking...just like her mom. I have to say she's the smartest dog i"ve ever owned.

our other bc is a 1 year old named Sydney that I found in the middle of the road. I thought she was dead. I guess she was just waiting for me. (looooong story) anyway she's beautiful and is the classic bc. she's just starting out in flyball and frisbee and I"m looking to start herding with her soon so she'll stop herding me, the other dogs, the kids, water and everything else.

our smallest dog is Berkley. he's a mix of probably every dog known to man. he's so funny looking he's adorable. built like a tank and dumb as a box of rocks. he's a mamma's boy th ough and just lives to be loved on. you have to be careful though, he'll lick your skin off!

Kelli
Unread 07-27-2004, 08:16 AM
A terrier fiend....

Hi!

One of the main questons to be answered is what kind of activity level you and your family keep. Some breeds need a lot of exercise! Generally, the bigger the breed, the more exercise it requires.

If you're the outdoorsy types, loving long walks in all kinds of weather, a gun dog or a shepard type might be good. If you like running, a hound is fine. Remember, if it's a breed that emphasize hunting ablilities, it's cruel not to let the dog follow his instincts!

If you spend a lot of time indoors, or in the city, a smaller dog is preferable.

Buy a good guide to the different breeds, read the breed descriptions and especially mind the temperament of the dog. Visit a dog show, check out the breeds and the breeders, meet the dogs and ask the owners about the breed.

We've had wire foxterriers in the family for 30 years, and for us, there's no other breed. A terrier is by nature inquisitive, playful and stubborn, and not as docile as some of the larger breeds.

Last autumn, my two *****es Asta (nearly 16) and her daughter Tussi (12) had to be put down, respectively old age and inflammation of the uterus. This hit me hard, and I knew I wanted another dog, but also knew I had to grieve "through" properly first!

This time around, I wanted a male, I just couldn't stand the thought of another death like Tussi (virtually overnight). And mid-May, I got my little Terry !

He's a constant delight, except when being naughty and biting his mommys nose!

Ellen
Unread 07-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Breeds?

Ellen,

It's true that the dog should be suited to the activity level of the owner. As a greyhound adoption volunteer, I often have to explain to people that greyhounds are the opposite of hyper or space-hogs and that they make lousy running partners (unless they receive a lot of patient training over a long period of time to get past their sprinting nature). And then there are people who think that Jack Russels are good apartment dogs because they're small. Ha!

It's so cool to hear everyone brag about their dogs so lovingly. :-)

Ro
Unread 07-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Breeds?

If I could own a huge farm and stock it with dogs, I would. Especially herding dogs. I have 2. Shasta, my 5 year old female blue merle Australian Shepherd. She is very protective and territorial with her family. She is very sweet and loving, but you have to get to know her first. She comes across as intimidating, but if a burgler threw her a cookie, he could rob the place blind! However, due to her intimidating stature, she is the dog I like to take on walks with me. She is very smart and was housebroken after just one accident in the house. It's so fun to watch her shake her butt (Aussies don't have tails) and she is super velcro. A matter of fact, I broke my ankle tripping on her once!

I also have a wonderful 1 year old male Border Collie (Murphy). He is the fun, laid back, slurpy one. He is the one I like to take to the park or anywhere there is going to be a crowd. My DS and Murphy are inseperable. I had heard how smart Border Collies are and it is so true! However, I am still trying to break him of "spraying" around the house. During my TAH recovery, he came down with coon-hound syndrome and gave us quite a scare. Lots of $$$$ and TLC later, he is now doing great and doesn't seem to have any lasting effects. For 2 weeks we had to carry him outside to pee and BM because he couldn't walk......well, I was still a princess, so DH had to.....but THAT is true love!

Some of my best entertainment comes from watching my dogs try to herd the lawn mower, neighborhood children, or a dust bunny!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register